Site Tutorial

Also from the blind ignorance department:

I am not aware of how to use the quoting mechanism I see others use in responses on the site. Is it done by clicking the quote tab? When I try this, it results in parentheses that do not translate to the white block I see in other's quotes.

Thanks for lending a hand to those of us who sit in darkness.

Dave Gallaher
Huntsville, AL

What browser are you using? You can click "Quote" above someones post to quote that specific text, or click "Quote" in the posting panel and enter the text you wish to have quoted.

I have the Firefox browser, Andrew. So---does clicking quote above your message install the text onto my reply, or is it manually typed in?

Thanks,

Dave Gallaher
Huntsville, AL

Originally posted by Dave Gallaher
I have the Firefox browser, Andrew. So---does clicking quote above your message install the text onto my reply, or is it manually typed in?

Thanks,

Dave Gallaher
Huntsville, AL

Dave,

If you click QUOTE in the upper-right part of someone's post you'll get a "Post a Reply" screen, with the message body that looks like this:
Code:
[quote]I have the Firefox browser, Andrew.  So---does clicking quote above your message install the text onto my reply, or is it manually typed in?

Thanks,

Dave Gallaher

Huntsville, AL[/quote]

Note that everything that appears between quote and /quote (I had to leave out the [ ] so that it doesn't start quoting what I'm writing now) will appear in a special box when you submit your post. If you don't want to quote an entire post, you can either hit the QUOTE button on the upper-right part of someone's post and delete what's not needed from between the quote and /quote switch, OR you can go to the "Post a Reply" screen, and hit the "Quote" button that's located under the Subject field. This will insert "{quote}" into your post... If you hit the Quote button again, you'll get a {/quote} at the end of the message. Again, everything between quote and /quote will be quoted in a way that you've seen in here (and at the top of my post).

Also notice that you can reveal the member that you are quoting by typing quote="John Doe" ... When you submit your post, you'll see that the quoted text is preceeded by "John Doe Wrote: ".

Yes, after you click "Quote" right above my post here, it will take you to the "Reply" screen, and it will automatically insert the quoted post into your reply box.

Originally posted by Andrew Khan
Yes, after you click "Quote" right above my post here, it will take you to the "Reply" screen, and it will automatically insert the quoted post into your reply box.

Testing 1-2-3.

Thanks, Andrew.

Dave Gallaher
Huntsville, AL

Back