8/11/06 REPORTS: VA *rescued*

**rescued post**

Dave Gallaher

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:20 pm Post subject: 8/11/06 REPORTS: VA Friday afternoon at about 2:50 pm, we were stuck in traffic on I-264 in downtown Norfolk, VA, awaiting the tunnel traffic to clear. Suddenly, a well-defined waterspout appeared to our west; we could only see the upper half, and it was slender with a curved cone upper structure joining to a flat cloud base. It moved out of sight between two buildings within about 20 seconds, and after crossing under the Elizabeth River, we were unable to see it on the other side moments later.

I just checked SPC and they show two brief tornadoes (one a landfalling waterspout) about three hours later. Can't believe no one else saw this one this close to downtown.

All in all, 2006 has been weirdly wonderful for me---my first tornado on April 7, and now a surprise waterspout while driving between gigs in Ocean City, Maryland and Atlanta, Georgia.

Jesse V. Bass III

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:12 pm Post subject: yea, i was in the area that the waterspouts were reported just minutes before they happened... i left the area on 664 south near the monitor merrimack bridge where i would have had perfect view and would have been able to catch them on film.. however, the warning came out after i left and was almost home... so i raced to the downtown area of portsmouth hoping to see them and missed them by a minute or 2... here is a link to the local tv station that has some photos on their site... i was really pissed that i was right there and missed it.... my luck as of late...

http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=5270655

Dave Gallaher

Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:13 pm Post subject: The spout we encountered at 2:50pm EDT was two and a half hours before the official reports of tornadoes at 5:20pm. With all that marine commerce in the area, I would think the 2:50 would have at least have been noted--perhaps it was too brief to be worth the trouble to locals.

The cloud base from which it appended was VERY solid looking, with no lowerings of any kind. Some of the photos posted on the WAVY site seem to show an apparent collar.

Interestingly, we were encountering good sized invisible vortices on US 13 coming down the Eastern Shore prior to this siting. There were several instances of trees blowing one way, then quickly the other within 1/8 mile of driving at 55mph.

Jesse V. Bass III

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:01 pm Post subject: well, the NWS issued a tornado warning near the 2:50pm time and at least know that WAVY broke in just about that time as well... They did break in one other time i guess after they received the photos.... well befoe their 5pm news cast.... but wakefield has a tendancy to drop the ball too... nothing new there...

i just hate that i missed it... i mean i was right there and did not see anything that looked threatening... just drives me up a wall... lol...

Back