Firefox/Thunderbird questions

I'm enjoying the Firefox browser, and after some terminal difficulties in Outlook Express, downloaded the Thunderbird email system. While it's good to be out of webmail (ugh) again, there are some quirks, such as:

Messages arriving a day or two late, but posted chronologically in the inbox;

Fowarding messages frequently causes empty file transfers (this can be corrected via the 'Edit Message As New' tab, but it's still less convenient). And some text material simply will not foward in any format...

Anyone else using Thunderbird?

Also--(and yes, I've gone to the users group), I haven't found a way to make desktop icon/shortcuts from sites navigated via Firefox--I can save them as bookmarks, but frequently used radar sites, etc, won't shortcut as they would on IE. I suspect operator error on my part, but would appreciate anyone's experience with this.

Dave Gallaher
Huntsville, AL

Originally posted by Dave Gallaher
Anyone else using Thunderbird?

Also--(and yes, I've gone to the users group), I haven't found a way to make desktop icon/shortcuts from sites navigated via Firefox

Hi Dave, I use both programs as well. I honestly have had no problems with Thunderbird at all, and can't see how it would delay mail sent to you.. unless there was some problems with the account settings and you managed to fix them along the way.

As for Firefox, I hadn't noticed the Bookmark shortcoming until you mentioned it; it doesn't seem to have occured to Mozilla to include such a feature (unless I'm missing it somewhere). I did figure out a workaround though; you can simply right click on your desktop and select "new" then "shortcut"; cut and paste the url you want into the window (get it from the address window in firefox) and hit next; change the name etc. if you like and hit "finish". If Firefox is your default browser then it will automatically open if you click the new shortcut. Not as graceful as the IE method, but it'll work.

I still have to use IE sometimes; I find the odd site doesn't work well in Firefox, especially if there's streaming media involved.

Cheers,

Originally posted by John B Erwin
I find the odd site doesn't work well in Firefox, especially if there's streaming media involved.

I believe that's a Plugin issue, and that the cure is to go add whatever Plugin is needed. I'd try to help more, but I'm 1800 miles from my computer right now, and this one is FF deprived.
(So it would be awful difficult to go get the links, etc., from this computer.)

Bob

Originally posted by John B Erwin
I did figure out a workaround though; you can simply right click on your desktop and select "new" then "shortcut"; cut and paste the url you want into the window (get it from the address window in firefox) and hit next; change the name etc. if you like and hit "finish". If Firefox is your default browser then it will automatically open if you click the new shortcut.

Thanks, John---I'll be doing some formatting after the weekend and will apply this.

Dave Gallaher
Huntsville, AL

Originally posted by Bob Schafer
I believe that's a Plugin issue, and that the cure is to go add whatever Plugin is needed.

That doesn't work in all cases. I have a few sites that simply refuse to work with FF, regardless whether or not I have the correct plugin or not. In addition, the formatting on some websites doesn't always work with FF either.

No biggie for me, I still prefer FF overall... the tabs alone are a great feature that I'm sure M$ will "emulate" on a future release of their product..

Back