Significant Tornadoes and Storm Magazine (SOLD)

too late

Looks like that auction ended and I was too late.

The STORM magazine would have been interesting to have.

Significant Tornadoes got $207 on the auction close, and our own Amos won it. I had estimated the street value at about $125, but that was just a wag. Nice to know that there's some things in chasing that are an investment rather than a loss! :) We're also lucky we had two copies in the house.

Also if any of you own a hardcover copy of The Thunderstorm Project (1949), you may have another valuable keeper. It is the foundation for much of the modern-day thunderstorm research. I think it's worth more than Significant Tornadoes.

I'm into books, obviously, and I was happy about this auction. I think in 20 years, that book will prove itself a great investment, but I'll never sell it. Someday, I'll warn my grandkids that if they sell it, I'll haunt them. :wink:

Originally posted by Tim Vasquez
Significant Tornadoes got $207 on the auction close, and our own Amos won it. I had estimated the street value at about $125, but that was just a wag. Nice to know that there's some things in chasing that are an investment rather than a loss! :) We're also lucky we had two copies in the house.

Speaking of antiquities and Significant Tornadoes, I've just discovered something interesting on abebooks.com — both volumes of the original 1991 edition, Significant Tornadoes 1880–1989, are on sale. Of course, when I say "on sale," I just mean available: volume II (A Chronology Of Events) is $75, and volume I (Discussion and Analysis) is $150. Pleasingly, volume II is in "poor +" condition.

Is it me or does it sound like the book was split in two pieces? I don't remember the original Significant Tornadoes being in two volumes. Was there a paperback run?

Tim

Yeah, the very first run was two separate paperback volumes . . . which then led to demand for a single hardback volume, which was then updated to include the 1680–1879 and 1990–1 parts. That's also why every now and then in the hardcover you find "see page _, volume II" in the first few chapters. I wonder if those first two paperbacks were green.

Back