Severe weather and the plains.

The severe weather season for the northern plains / upper MS River valley is still ongoing. It's been pretty slow up there the past several weeks given the stagnant upper-air synoptic pattern, but that's bound to change some time. Growing up in MN, my best chases were always from early-mid July through early August (7/14/03, 8/9/99, etc). I think that we'll change to a more "typical" summer pattern pretty soon, which'll favor the NE/SD/ND/MT/WY/MN/IA/WI areas per climatology... Than again, this year has been ALL BUT "typical", so I'd say we'll have equal chances of snow in Omaha and 100F in Anchorage, AK as we have of "seasonal"/climo weather in the U.S. ...

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:27 pm Post subject: Severe weather and the plains.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any chance in Hell that I'll get to see any more action in Nebraska or should I retire my digital camera for the year?

Let's see . . . I am accessing and forecasting the future as I speak.
HMMMMMM.
Yes . . . yes.

Well, first, if you DO go to Hell as you stated, you won't see any action in Nebraska . . . or anywhere.

Second, I do not understand to which kind of action you are referring to (you did not specify), so I'll say . . . NO.

Third, I'm not sure how going to Hell and retiring your digital camera are related, as you seem to be in a quandary as to which option you should choose.

Fourth, why even retire your digital camera? Surely there will be a birthday party or SOMETHING you want to take a picture of.

Fifth, when you speak of "the year," are you referring to the remainder of 2004, or are you referring the the next calender year following the date of your post?

Finally, if you are referring to severe weather for the remainder of 2004 in the state of Nebraska, I would say there is a 100% chance that severe weather will occur somewhere in the state of Nebraska in the remaining months of 2004.

Just clarify what you are asking, and I will provide a more focused look into the future for you. :wink:

I left the question fairly open hoping for some sort of conversation through which I could glean some knowledge, but more specific: I was referring to severe thunderstorms and tornadoes. It's been very quiet where I live lately and I'm getting bored.

And I would probably "retire" my digital camera. I really don't use it much at all because the things I want to take pictures of I'm really not allowed to by law (pictures at work) and there isn't anything photogenic about Nebraska unless it's being destroyed.

"It's been very quiet where I live lately and I'm getting bored."

I think it was answered quite cleary - YES...

Originally posted by rdale
\"It's been very quiet where I live lately and I'm getting bored.\"

I think it was answered quite cleary - YES...

Hate to tell you but your going to be bored even longer when the cornhusker's start the season. :lol:

HEHE :lol:
THe Cornhuskers pattern of playing football is beginning to look much like the weather around here. (uhhh GO HUSKERS?!)

(OH, and hello im new here :eek: )

Originally posted by JHadorn

there isn't anything photogenic about Nebraska unless it's being destroyed.

You should try taking pictures up on the caprock in west Texas! After you get on the cap is flat as a pancake and nothing but dirt, weeds and telephone poles as far as you can see. At least you guys have some trees and that nice river we camped near so much chasing up there this year!

I was returning to Lincoln from Omaha last night during dusk, and we stopped at a rest stop on I80 near Gretna. The rest stop over looked the start of the Great Platte Valley, showing a vast area of crops and rolling hills. It was just awsome with the sun setting behind some cirrus clouds and the fading sun was reflecting off of the moisture coming off of the corn and alfalfa (I think). I wish I could show you a pic BUT, i sort of retired my camera. I think that was a big mistake.

"there isn't anything photogenic about Nebraska unless it's being destroyed"

This may be true, but when the sun starts to go down the plains are a sight to see.

Originally posted by Jamie Lahowetz
I was returning to Lincoln from Omaha last night during dusk, and we stopped at a rest stop on I80 near Gretna. The rest stop over looked the start of the Great Platte Valley, showing a vast area of crops and rolling hills. It was just awsome with the sun setting behind some cirrus clouds and the fading sun was reflecting off of the moisture coming off of the corn and alfalfa (I think). I wish I could show you a pic BUT, i sort of retired my camera. I think that was a big mistake.

\"there isn't anything photogenic about Nebraska unless it's being destroyed\"

This may be true, but when the sun starts to go down the plains are a sight to see.

Is that not the same rest stop that the weatherman from omaha was playing hide-go-seek with a fanny pak ? :shock:

Back