SDS

A couple new symptoms of SDS I'm noticing this fall (even as the NWS-GRB issued tornado warnings last Saturday).

-Spending time in boring lectures doodling schematics of tornadic supercells on notebook paper

-In free time, attempting to create a database of every single SPC high-risk convective outlook and Public Severe Weather Outlook that is still available on the Internet.

Here's a big one... taking a 1000 plus mile trip into Kansas on Friday in hopes that an October system would yield some action.. SPC reported 7 hail reports and 1 wind report.. going into this day, we knew the odds were slim to none, but we went anyway.. talk about SDS.. *LOL* :lol:

Tony, you and Amos could have stayed at my house in Manhattan. I was gone anyway, and probably could have even got you tickets to the Nebraska vs K-state game :wink:

Everyone needs a roadtrip once in a while anyway right?

Tim

Tony, you and Amos could have stayed at my house in Manhattan. I was gone anyway, and probably could have even got you tickets to the Nebraska vs K-state game :wink:

Everyone needs a roadtrip once in a while anyway right?

Tim

I forgot you were in the area! *LOL* I don't think Amos ventured very far that evening, and we turned around and headed home, but I would've stayed for the game! 8)

And Chris, I've always thought Denver would be the first place in the world to have an inland hurricane with the way the weather works around here! *LOL* Imagine if that scenario played itself out if it could actually snow! *LOL* Talk about a blizzard!!!! :shock: Especially if it were positioned like you have it, we'd have mega-upslope flow! Hehehe.. nice!

Andy,
I feel your pain, man! Back at Purdue, I used to hijack the blackboard in my lecture halls before class & draw large, detailed sketches of tornadic supercells just to see how people would react. Now, THAT'S entertainment! :laughing6: At this point, it's come down to borrowing a friend's cig, blowing puffs of smoke during a calm night & twirling my finger in it. Amazing how many hypotheses on tornadogenesis you can come up with just from that!
Tim, you'd better make room for three of us, since I'll likely be chasing with Tony & Amos when they head out this next season :wink: ...

Pertend your job is a research assistant as a grad student. Your research involves numerous case studies of tornadic supercells. In particular, you must do detailed radar analysis of these bad boys.

Do that and you'll be in my shoes. Awesome yet ohh the pain. It isn't even November yet, and I am feeling the full brunt of SDS since I am looking at tornadic supercells day in and day out.

The agony....

Aaron

I been watching the rotation of the smoke stacks on the industrial side
of Edmonton.Might see multipal vortex formations when it gets down to

I been watching the rotation of the smoke stacks on the industrial side
of Edmonton.Might see multipal vortex formations when it gets down to

5946075cd378209cc0e495a3ed23eace.jpg

—from the hardcopy StormTrack, January 1983. :D

In the meantime, my SDS drags on because Spring seems to be broken—there aren't any damn storms!!!

Andrew, it's shorthand for "Storm Deprivation Syndrome", the affliction that chasers get when there is nothing to chase or even nowcast.

I thought it was directly related to an asbsence of supercell storms in ones life. Therefore being referred to as Supercell Deprivation Syndrome.

Easy to diagnose. Find a storm chaser/spotter or weather enthusiast, and chances are that they are suffering right now. There is a possible respite from this in the Midwest tomorrow.

With all the moisture this week and a good cross wind created in my warehouse I was getting alot of good spinups from the fog being created while I cut dry ice...

SDS Video

Another Sign of SDS

You know you have SDS when you see your dog (a Bichon Freese like Stanley) do his "circle dance" and you noticed he was running in a counter clock wise direction. And you count the number of circles he does to see whether he rates a F-3 or an F-4?? I'm definitely going to the dogs....whoof whoof.

Edit: Speaking of multiple vortices, we have THREE :shock: BF dogs in our house. Fortunately, only Stanley does the "circle" dance. Boomer does the Bichon "Wave" and Peaches, well she's an old dog, thats all!!

LJK

Back