Scariest storm images.

• Thread starter Mike Hollingshead
  • Start date
To me it would be this one from a video grab . I had raced back down to Tulsa from a spectacular day and evening in Kansas on 5/29/04 to catch up with the Okla. supercell. I had managed to get in front of it and headed to an area that the circulation was predicted to travel. (Oneta)
I thought I would still be a little south of it but I was wrong and ended up a little east of it and not a south road option. Closest I've come to bailing and heading for the house nearby

112am07.jpg.w180h135.jpg

I'll also throw Neb. 5-22-05 in but it's more of an eriee feeling than scary due to listening to reports on hallam while watching this stuff to the west of there.

522040003.jpg.w300h225.jpg

52220041027pm0001.jpg

Most of you probably already know, but for those who don't, that picture that Andrew has posted there is the oldest known picture of a tornado.

Not to be too off topic, but I think that last picture (the oldest tornado pic) has been doctored up a bit. The storm structure makes absolutely no sense to me...maybe its the perfectly symmetrical funnels on either side of the tornado...or the fact that you can see the updraft with front lighting and the tornado with backlighting.

I don't want to hijack this thread, so please continue posting your scary pics. :wink:

Gabe

July 3rd near Wichita. Coming right at us. There was more turqoise in this storm than the Southwest.
July3rd058.jpg

near sedgwick/sumner county line same day.

July3rd064.jpg

I distinctly remember this being one of my favorites as a kid. I believe it comes from a series where it pulls up quite a bit of dirt. Scared the tar out me when I was young.
enid.jpg

Not to be too off topic, but I think that last picture (the oldest tornado pic) has been doctored up a bit.

Not only that, but there is evidence to suggest that it is not, in fact, the oldest known tornado photo.

That photo, credited to one F.N. Robinson, was apparently taken on 28 August 1884, in Sanborn County, SD near Howard.

According to Grazulis' "Significant Tornadoes," of a tornado photo appearing on page 629, having been taken 26 April 1884:

"This rather weak tornado has the distinction of being the first actual tornado funnel cloud to be photographed and preserved. It killed a man in the open, but did no significant property damage. It moved very slowly and is seen here near the end of its life cycle as it began to "rope-out" and move out from under the main part of the thunderstorm, about 13m WNW of Garnett, Kansas. The photo was originally part of a stereoscopic pair, taken by a professional photographer, Mr. A.A. Adams, who sold many copies. His obituary in 1907 recognized him as the "first man ever to photograph a cyclone."

Here are some of mine, although they are not the scariest around, but still ominous looking.

June 14, 2004 wall cloud with great rotation
20040614_WallCloud6.jpg

20040614_WallCloud7.jpg

A year later, June 14, 2005 shelf cloud... it was really dark in behind!
20050614_ShelfCloud2.jpg

Back