Scariest storm images.

• Thread starter Mike Hollingshead
  • Start date
July 7, 2004: Russell, Kansas supercell:

scary.jpg

I've never been able to think of storms as scary, so I've never seen or taken a storm photo that personally invokes fear in me. Yes, I've been in scary situations while chasing, but none that a photo could capture the essence of. That is, unless someone has a photo of something like a car beginning to fishtail at >35mph on a muddy Kansas road. Or someone who has lost thier bearings as a hail core is approaching - big stones starting to smack the hood and roof - meanwhile the computer running GPS locks up and has to be rebooted before they can find the right road to get out. Those have happened to me and the thought of those things give me chills!

That said, a few non-chasers have pointed out some of my images that they thought looked scary:

Hi Dave Lewison,

The 5/29/01, near Turkey TX: Mega mothership. is the mother of all motherships! I enjoy seeing that storm - no worries about the foreground - it is awesome!

May as well add another shelfy from the Texas Panhandle:

0531jd22.jpg

Or perhaps turn around and go back:

0602jd17.jpg

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

May 29, 2004 - west Oklahoma, Steve Miller (the Tulsa one) and I tried to punch east between the hail cores on a muddy county road. He came on the radio saying he may be stuck, just about 1/4 mile behind us. When we got turned around to go back and help we saw a funnel hanging down just to our west and headed our direction! Fortunately, Steve got free and we backtracked to paved roads to our west.
20040529_181037_ps_std.jpg

This is the photo that the St. Joseph News-Press chose for their front page following the June 4 Hiawatha tornado ... I wasn't particularly scared when I took it, but after the photo came out I got a bunch of email from folks in the area telling me how much this photo and tornadoes in general scared them. I didn't intend for it at the time necessarily, but noticed after it was taken that half of the power pole on the left seems to be missing.

01%20Main%20Photo.jpg

Well shucks Mike H - thanks for posting one of my images...... :oops:

From our vantage point, Manchester is easily the "scariest" thing I've ever seen personally.....and I hope to not out-scare myself with respect to that particular date. That's quite enough, thanks.

Your Hill City image deserves recognition, though......no two images are the same - each one has its own character and speaks to you differently.

Good thread...

Karen

I think my scariest photo would have to be from May 22nd of last year in NE. This is a night vid capture taken at 10:30 15 miles west of Beatrice on highway 136. It sent chills down my back because one second you don't know that a tornado that large is there and then a fraction of a second later it is staring you down. Also there is a second tornado roping out above the first which touched down a few minutes before. I tried to bring it out more in the second photo.

stscariest1.jpg

stscariest2.jpg

Karen's is definitely up there on the scare factor chart ... if we could post video in here, Tim Samaras' latest probe video would be at the top of the list as well. It was right up there with War of the Worlds in terms of ability to keep a person on the edge of their seat -

June 9th in Meade County, KS
RainWrapped.jpg

My first HP. When the rain wrapped in hard and it took a more easterly turn, I backed way off of this one. Crazy cloud motion was happening in there.

Originally posted by John Gnuechtel
June 9th in Meade County, KS

My first HP. When the rain wrapped in hard and it took a more easterly turn, I backed way off of this one. Crazy cloud motion was happening in there.

Holy crapbuckets, John, that's a beautiful picture!

Back