Rolling Fork Tornado

RE the lights in the vortex, I seriously doubt an airborne vehicle spinning, moving, twirling, etc., would keep the lights pointed towards the viewer for as long as they did. It's likely something that has a 360 degree light source.

I agree, I also saw this video which has the lights blinking vs steady. I wasnt sure what to make of it as I think both cameras were in the same vehicle. Some sort of framerate situation?

With respect to helping and training to do so...after hearing fellow chaser stories from Rolling Fork I signed up for CERT training. I plan to also recertify BLS and look into "Stop the bleed". I have a feeling I will still be under-equipped. I would love to hear any other suggestions. The advice from Drew above is fantastic!

There are ways a chaser can help out even if you are the sort who isn't up to medical assistance.

On May 24, 2011 my chase ended when I was blocked by debris, so I stuck around for awhile. Water was spewing out of a destroyed house's plumbing, so I and another guy worked to turn off the valve at the street.

In Pilger, June 16, 2014, I helped clear debris from the road, allowing EMS vehicles to proceed, gave first aid to a guy who had some scrapes and scratches, and helped with traffic control. I have to say, though, if I could have a do-over, I wish I had walked into the town farther to help with searching for survivors, as the TIV guys did. Kudos to them.

One thing that had never occurred to me before then is that there isn't anyone in charge. You're not gonna have anyone giving suggestions as to how you could be most helpful. I never asked myself that question, and if it happens again I will try to remember that lesson.

Drew Terril said:
And James, that's perfectly fine. As I mentioned, some people don't have the aptitude for that kind of stuff. And to that point, there's a lot of training on how to act in the moment. There's not a lot of training in how to deal with the aftermath. Similar dynamics among public safety as there is with military veterans like myself. They don't teach us how to deal with the aftermath of the things we've seen, heard, smelled. So, for some people, that would not be a wise option, regardless of how well meaning they might be. And ideally, people should take a hard look in the mirror before they are ever in a situation like that and decide if they can handle that or if they're going to be as shellshocked as the victims they're trying to help.
Like I mentioned, I'm pretty sure I could handle any of the "destruction" part of it, It really is the "human" part, where "that's a no-can-do"
I even think it would be fascinating(not really the right word) to be do damage-survey, like looking up close at foundations and structurally how well a building was attached/put together/etc.

JamesCaruso said:
I’d like to think I would take action in the moment if I had to. Sometimes we find a strength in us that we didn’t know was there
<...>
Regardless, I don’t spend too much time thinking about this… Even as a chaser, the probability that I will ever be in this situation is extremely low. I probably have more of a chance in having to help someone that is being violently assaulted than I do having to help tornado victims.
Yeah there's 'that thing within you' that kicks in. Human nature to help others?
-----
I really try not to dwell/think about this stuff, but the one that gets me(and something that's probably far more likely than me being in a tornado-ravaged-town situation) is I'm frequently having these little "background thoughts" subconscious thoughts? along the line of "what would I do if there was an active shooter, what/how would I use to take him out"
In reality I'd be like anyone I'm sure I'd be one of the first to go hide. I really wish I could 'turn off' those sorts of background thoughts, Its stuff I'd really rather not think *anything* about.
(I'm sure allot of it is because that crap is always in the news these days (and the fact one of the best-known of such tragedys happened not really all that far from me))

JamesCaruso said:
I have a recurring dream that a plane crash has happened near me, and the nightmare that results is around the internal struggle of whether to go into the crash site to help…

There's one particular recurring dream I used to have on occasion (nothing remotely like yours). But as stupid as it was in 'real life', every time I had it it'd f--k with me ... and I'd wake up with that feeling inside you have after a nightmare has woken you. I really hated that particular one.

It took some time/learning/"training" myself... but I got to a point where I could realize I was 'asleep & dreaming' while within a dream and could to varying degrees control/manipulate stuff within the dream. Or even if I didn't change anything, sometimes had the simple 'knowledge' that "this is a dream, that thing can't hurt me" .. which
Couldn't do it for every dream ofcourse, but got good enough. Then one night That particular recurring dream started, and I realized just what it was... I thought something along the line of: oh no this is my dream you're not going to do that or that's not going to happen. Then I took control of it and changed what was happening.
It worked. In the end a totally different outcome...I turned what was always an aweful nightmare into an amazing and awesome dream.
And not only that, it 'broke' the recurring thing once and for all too.

Warren Faidley said:
RE the lights in the vortex, I seriously doubt an airborne vehicle spinning, moving, twirling, etc., would keep the lights pointed towards the viewer for as long as they did. It's likely something that has a 360 degree light source.
I've watched a couple videos where the lights showed up.. where it appeared to flash, and not.

But that one vid where where it looks steady-on, I watched that portion at slow-speed a couple times. It truly looks like a single point of light at all times. And the one though that truly came to mind is "that's a streetlight".
I never once thought 'vehicle' while watching. I have a hard time believing that a car would fly up and around like that did, rather than just being picked up & flung. (and not to mention the headlights always facing out).
A solar-powered streetlight could have a 360 view (not counting top & bottom where it attaches to the pole). And being LED could also explain the flashing... some lights will run the LEDs on true DC power where they would really be steady-on, but some - cheaper ones in particular - will run the LEDs on pulsed DC (as a way to use a smaller battery & lower power electronics while still giving the same apparent brightness). You likely won't see this, but depending on the camera & its settings, it can easily pick it up. (Think about how traffic-lights & tailights frequently look like they're blinking in dashcam videos. That's pulsed DC power for you.)...

Mike Smith said:
WaPo's Capital Weather Gang has posted an article:
So this makes 2 separate chasers were hit & cars rolled, but got very lucky & survived with just minor injuries??

Last edited:
One thing that had never occurred to me before then is that there isn't anyone in charge. You're not gonna have anyone giving suggestions as to how you could be most helpful. I never asked myself that question, and if it happens again I will try to remember that lesson.

That's where, generally, with my background, if there's nobody taking charge, I have no issue doing so. That was something I was taught many years ago, between growing up on a farm and my subsequent military service. When something needs to be done, do it. But that's where it helps to have an eye for what's needed. Clearing a path for EMS is a big one. That's where a winch and a chainsaw come in handy big time, and why I generally chase in my overland vehicle that has a winch and I'm used to carrying a chainsaw in.

Praise to all of you for your actions after a storm – and your honesty about what you feel you can’t do.

It’s a rare thread that draw me out of lurker status. I’m no help predicting tornadoes – I still think Skew-T is Ice-T’s brother. But their aftermath? That’s my wheelhouse. Here are ways a chaser can help. Most are easier and less painless than you might think.

Call 911. Do this first, even if it delays treatment of an injured person. If it’s a small tornado in a rural area, maybe no one knows there’s a problem. Maybe everyone assumed someone else already called. But your call may be the first notice the rescuers get.

Simple enough, right? So is the next way.

Don’t become part of the problem. Number one thing you can do to help: If you think you might panic or faint or get hurt yourself in the act of helping, stay away. The responders have enough to do already without having to tend to you.

Now, we get to the more involved stuff.

Clear the way for the helpers. Drew Terril nailed this one. When seconds count in saving a life, you can save the responders seconds, even minutes, in getting to a survivor. Move debris so an ambulance can get as close as possible.

If someone’s been impaled by a tree limb, do *not* try to remove it – it may be keeping blood in the body. But if you have a chain saw, you can cut away the part of the branch that’s *outside* the body. The rescuers would have to do that anyway. Again, you’re helping them get the survivor to the ambulance more quickly. (This one’s only for people with chain-saw experience; doing it wrong could jar the impaled part enough to release all the blood that may be dammed up behind it).

Hold someone’s hand. You’re not an EMT. You don’t even know CPR. But no medical degree is required to show basic, human kindness. If someone’s hurting, and you’ve called 911, stay with them. Reassure them that help is on the way. Start a conversation if they’re capable of having one; it distracts them from their plight. Hold their hand until the people who *do* know the medical stuff arrive, or… they fade to the point where help is no longer needed or possible. Let them leave this world with a friend seeing them off.

As a chaser who just happens upon a scene, maybe this is more than you bargained for. That’s a good reason for being honest with yourself beforehand, like JamesK. Gut-level honest, as much as you’ve ever been about anything. “What could I do?” And just as important: “What can’t I do?”

The more involved you become, the greater the chance you’ll experience emotional shrapnel (We’re getting to that part).

Call someone. Ask survivors, “Is there someone I can call for you to let them know you’re OK?” Take numbers and dial them as soon as you reach a place with cell service. Yours will be the best call they get all year.

Give someone a ride home. My Mom was rescued from the Joplin Walmart that collapsed in the 2011 tornado, but she wandered in the parking lot in the downpour that followed looking for her car – it was in a pile of other vehicles. She wasn’t going home with her own transportation.

Then, some angel in a vehicle pulled up beside her, opened the door and asked her if she needed a ride. I feel as if I’ll spend the rest of my life paying that angel back.

You can be that angel, or at least try (no telling how passable the roads will be). Not only will you aid that person, but you will bring immeasurable peace to their loved ones who are beside themselves with worry and fear. Boy, will they be glad to see you!

Give money. Not clothes. Money. It seems impersonal, but it gives survivors a much-needed sense of control. They can buy what *they* need, not what someone else thinks they need.

Get others involved. Turn something fun into a fundraiser. What do you like to do, and how can you bring together a bunch of people with the same interest to raise money for survivors? Folks in the clothing industry in Kansas City held a fashion show. The NASCAR track in KC Kansas let people drive a lap or two in return for a donation to Joplin. Athletes in the region staged a 1,000-hour basketball game.

Help out at the relief centers. Bring things. Stack things. Move things. Guide survivors through navigating the grocery aisles of the little makeshift markets of donated goods.

And listen.

This may be the single most powerful thing you can do to help survivors. They need to tell their stories. To come to grips with what’s happened, they have to hear themselves say the words. When they’ve talked to you, they will have healed a bit. It will be your doing.

Be warned, though: In the aftermath of a disaster (and the aftermath goes on for years), little gestures draw an outsized reaction. Give someone a bottle of water in normal times, and you’ll get a smile and a “thank you.” Repeat the kindness in the midst of rubble, and expect them to react as if you’ve just saved them from drowning. In a sense, you did.

Maybe everything that day had gone wrong. Insurance hassles. FEMA frustrations. No car. No home. Maybe planning funerals of loved ones lost to the storm. They are drowning in problems. Then, you provide the first bit of positive human contact they’re had that day – maybe in several days. You bring hope. You *are* hope.

The emotional dam will burst. How would you handle that? It’s not blood, but tears, and human feeling at its rawest. Joplin’s Good Samaritans were offered counseling after such situations. As Drew says, even soldiers struggle with what they’ve seen, and by the nature of the job, they know what they might encounter that they can’t “unsee.” Most of the rest of us would be blindsided.

Come back later. They’ll be clearing debris for a month, and rebuilding for years. You’ll see no blood (unless you step on a nail), but as I’ve warned, watch out for the emotional jolt you may get from the grateful residents you’re helping.

Come back years later. Help plant trees. That’s not done until home construction is, so you can wait awhile. Trees help make a house a home. After so much death, it’s healing to see something living, something growing.

Don’t underestimate yourself. The lesson of disasters everywhere is that ordinary people can do extraordinary things when they really have to.

The night of the Joplin tornado, volunteers converged on the dark, crippled St. John’s Hospital to do whatever they could. Patients needed to be evacuated. The helpers carried them down several stories in a pitch-black stairwell (well, lit only by cellphone screens), no matter how fragile or heavy the patients were. Then: “Hospital officials say there is a major gas leak and they fear the possibility of an explosion.”

But other patients still needed to be rescued.

The volunteers went back in.

You might rise to the occasion in ways you didn’t think possible.

Awesome post @Steve Holmes , not only thought-provoking, touching, inspiring and insightful, but also comprehensive and very well-written too! Come out of lurk mode more often please!

You are kind, @JamesCaruso, but I don't have the knowledge to contribute to most of your discussions; I’m just a simple country chaser. If your town's just been kicked in the family jewels by Ma Nature, I'm your man. Or if you have questions about minor-league baseball, trains, comic books, foreign travel, photography or professional wrestling.

You read part of a book I'm writing on how a city fights back from a killer disaster, with Joplin as the centerpiece. I’d never had to face my Mother’s mortality before, or what my brother had seen in the heart of the carnage as he tried to rescue her. The solution was to start writing.

More odds and ends about how to help:

Can you fix flats? Sharpen chain saws? Flip burgers? There’s a need for you.

Expect plenty of flat tires from those thousands of newly liberated construction nails seeking a new home – in your tires. That’s one reason not to go into a fresh disaster zone; you’re likely to become disabled and in the way. But if you can repair flat tires, you’ll be popular.

We had people set up shop fixing chain saws for free. Like tire repair, that’s something you can do without going into the area of damage.

People also showed up to provide food for folks working in the zone. The big volunteer outfits who make thousands of meals came here, but so did individuals like the guy from Mississippi who felt compelled by regrets from his past to come all this way to set up a grill. Making amends, one burger at a time.

The city did not shut them down. In normal times, it would have. But in normal times, some guy from Mississippi would not have traveled 300 miles to hand out free burgers. The Health Department had its hands full with potential problems like tetanus, debris dust, rats and mosquitoes. As the department chief said, they turned a blind eye to the unlicensed cooks. Part of doing your job well is knowing when *not* to do it.

You could help collect photographs that a tornado scatters over several counties. A local group did that, and created a template used by others nationwide. Volunteers cleaned the photos, dried them and catalogued them. Survivors could look through the books of photos for those they lost (pictures were among the most-mourned losses: Reminders of weddings, graduations, vacations and family history).

This was another of those volunteer tasks loaded with emotion, as in when a survivor found a treasured picture thought gone forever – especially of someone just lost to the storm. Volunteers got counseling for this.

Before you gather photos, know the law. Don’t just go into the yard of a leveled home and start picking them up. You’d be on someone else’s property. Especially after 30% of a town’s been wrecked, Johnny Law doesn’t look kindly on trespassing, no matter how well intentioned.

You don’t have to set up a fundraising event for a stricken town. Go to someone else’s event and contribute. A little girl in Wichita set up a lemonade stand to raise money for Joplin kids. A guy showed up and paid $10,000 for a glass. (You’re not expected to chip in that much.)

Help with a Facebook group that serves as a disaster-info clearinghouse. Within about two hours after the tornado, JoplinTornadoInfo went online, started by a mother-daughter team with the right skills: Mom a former nurse and reporter; the “kid” a web designer.

But even the most dedicated have to sleep sometime. The first overnight, the duties of running the page were handed off to a crew from Tuscaloosa. As one long-distance volunteer said, “I lost my mother and aunt in Alabama on 4/27. My thoughts and prayers are with you all, and we are already getting supplies together to send.” (I still tear up over that one; you’ll find a deep kinship between members of what I call “The Splintered-Wood Club.”)

One final question to ask yourself before trying to help, especially when the damage is fresh: “How will you feel about yourself if you *don’t* help?” I’m not sure how I would live with myself. I didn’t have to answer that question since I was not here when the tornado hit. That haunts me. It’s fortunate there are plenty of ways to help without seeing something you can’t unsee. Wherever you are, you can do something.

Superb posts Steve, and feel free to chat about MiLB any time - I regularly watched the Vancouver Canadians when I lived there!

Can I offer one other thing which came to mind? Maybe a few blankets or foil blankets would be helpful for immediate survivors?

I just want to mention one quick thing that I don’t think I have seen mentioned yet as this thread is getting off topic. Further comments on how to help after a tornado should be made in the appropriate threads. This one is for the Rolling Fork tornado. When you do come across a Rolling Fork type scene and you stop to help. Please get your vehicle off the roadway as much as possible. It’s easy to forget about your vehicle once you get out of it and start searching or helping.

I don’t know. Small lights don’t have a lot of sail area and thus are likely to be slammed into other surface debris.

I seem to remember footage of a pick-up truck about half-way up the funnel that was pointed down. I think most vehicles held aloft will point downwards…like the gravity gradient keels on some satellites.

Thus only a sporadic flash of a side-view light of a vehicle with a car alarm would be visible…headlights smashed or pointed down away from the viewer.

Had this been an individual light attached—say—to a sail-like awning the twister carried aloft after using as a pull-tab…the light may have been more continuous.

Back