Remembering The Udall, Kan., Tornado of 1955

NOAA News, 5-23-05

May 25, 2005, marks the 50 th anniversary of the deadliest tornado to ever hit the state of Kansas. The small town of Udall, Kan. - about 35 miles south-southeast of Wichita in Cowley County - was nearly wiped from the face of the earth by what was later determined to have been an F5 tornado with winds of 300 mph and higher.

Since tornado records have been kept, the 80 deaths associated with the Udall tornado make it the 23 rd deadliest tornado to occur in the United States. Adding 35 deaths caused by the storm that moved from Texas into Oklahoma and Kansas, ties the Udall tornado with the Flint, Mich., tornado of June 8, 1953, as the ninth deadliest event in the United States with 115 lives lost. The deadliest tornado outbreak in the U.S. was the March 18, 1925, Tri-State tornado that struck parts of Missouri, Illinois and Indiana, killing 695.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/pa/fstories/2005/0...s25may2005a.php

John Diel gives a presentation and has accumulated alot of info on this subject. It seems very interesting. Maybe someday youll get a chance to see his presntation at a workshop.

Please see:

www.cyberlodg.com/mattdennis/ktc/udall2photos.htm
www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/11731045.htm
www.tornadochaser.com/UDALL/track.htm
www.tornadochaser.com/UDALL/reports.htm

I have seen a lot of damage areas of strong tornadoes. Udall is at least as bad as any of them. Automobiles in the 1950's were steel beasts. I have never seen multiple cars stripped down to the chassis and one car broken in two in any other tornado.

Note the photo of the fallen water tower. I am told people drowned in their basements.

Back