RadarScope: Your Account Does Not Have Reporting Priveleges

N. Parker

Enthusiast
I receive an error when trying to activate the Report Location setting for the Spotter Network in RadarScope. See below for more detail and the full error in red.
  1. Passed Spotter Network Training
  2. Completed NWS contact sheet (I can access the 'Submit Severe Report' link on spotternetork.org)
  3. Successfully signed in to Spotter Network in RadarScope (Android)
  4. Activated location services (able to see my own current location as blue target icon)
  5. Attempted to turn on Spotter Network location (under Options -> Advanced), and received the following error: Your account does not have reporting privileges. If this is in error, contact Spotter Network to resolve it.
  6. If I tap Try Again, I get this response: NO
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Nathan

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190123-204413_RadarScope_1.jpg
    Screenshot_20190123-204413_RadarScope_1.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20190123-212131_RadarScope_2.jpg
    Screenshot_20190123-212131_RadarScope_2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20190123-202135_RadarScope.jpg
    Screenshot_20190123-202135_RadarScope.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 0
Your account looks good on our end. It looks like you sent a single position update on the 24th. Was that with a different device?

Thanks for responding, John!

I believe the location update was through my desktop while using the web interface.
Edit: There will be 3 entries for the 29th as well. That was me clicking around on the web UI and observing how the location logging works.

A few things I've tried:
Sign out / back into SN on affected device (did this on desktop as well in addition to clearing cookies and cache in Chrome)
Clear data / cache for RadarScope app on affected device
Restart phone
Uninstall / Reinstall RadarScope

This really just feels like some kind of caching issue to me...

Also, one thing that was mentioned on another thread I ran across was the possibility of issues arising when a user signs into a device before the NWS phone contact info has been filled out. I don't remember for sure, but there's a good chance I signed into my SN account on my phone before filling out that info on the site (therefore, I may have not had full reporting privileges on my first sign-in into RadarScope on my phone).

I noticed in a neighboring thread that Kyle McDonald is having the same issue (or at least, appears to be):
Unable to report

Also, this thread looked like this could have been a similar issue, though the user never reported the solution:
RadarScope beacon trouble

I'm not sure if the timing of both Kyle and I having this issue around the same time could be a tip-off as well (recent change to a web service, or something along those lines?).

Anyway, thanks for helping. I will be absolutely sure to update this thread should I stumble upon a solution.

Last edited:
This spontaneously began working for me.

This is what I did:
--Flipped the "Report Location" setting to On
-Received the same error message as usual at this point "Your account does not have reporting privileges. If this is in error, contact Spotter Network to resolve it."
-Tapped "Try Again"
-I don't remember the exact message I received, but it was basically saying my account now has reporting permissions

Note: I've tapped Try Again several times over the last few days and just received a response of "NO". I had nearly given up on even bothering with the extra tap, but I think it's necessary to "refreshing" RadarScope and getting that bit flipped to true.

This is a good example of a user taking matters into their own hands and exhausting every possible option to get it working. It’s all in the settings and getting them right for your device and subscriptions. Don’t give up and throw your hands in the air until you’ve tried everything possible.

This spontaneously began working for me.

This is what I did:
--Flipped the "Report Location" setting to On
-Received the same error message as usual at this point "Your account does not have reporting privileges. If this is in error, contact Spotter Network to resolve it."
-Tapped "Try Again"
-I don't remember the exact message I received, but it was basically saying my account now has reporting permissions

Note: I've tapped Try Again several times over the last few days and just received a response of "NO". I had nearly given up on even bothering with the extra tap, but I think it's necessary to "refreshing" RadarScope and getting that bit flipped to true.

Thanks Nathan for such a thorough description with screen shots. Your information is what allowed us to finally figure out what the issue was. RS was doing the lookup of whether you should be allowed to report at an old location. SpotterNetwork moved all of our resources off of the Allisonhouse systems, while they still support us, we are in an independent instance now... This obviously broke some things we weren't expecting and has taken some time to find how everything is connected. When we found some of the issues we didn't want to just put a hack in to fix things for now but wanted more permanent fixes which is what has taken time. At times we just simply didn't have enough information to figure out what was going on. Now I think we're in a much better spot, thanks to your help! So, now, you should be able to log out of SN in RadarScope, then log back in and see your correct privileges. Please let me know if you don't!

Thanks,
John

Thanks for the update John that sheds a lot of light on the recent issues. Thanks again to Nathan for being a troubleshooting warrior who didn't give up and provided the information needed to correct the issues.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Stormtrack mobile app

Back