Radar gun in storm report

This is the first time I've seen a radar gun mentioned in a storm report (from NWS ICT):

1130 PM TSTM WND GST UDALL 37.39N 97.12W
06/15/2005 63 MPH COWLEY KS LAW ENFORCEMENT

MEASURED WITH RADAR GUN.

Nice improvising by law enforcement!

Rodney

I didn't know a radar gun could do that. I suppose it is possible. I don't know what the specs or sensitivities are on radar guns, so I can't really speculate.

But that is interesting.

I guess if there are enough reflective particles blowing in the wind it is possible. Since it was Kansas, then there might have been a lot of dust blowing in the wind. I guess in theory rain would work too lol.

Seems the newer radar guns are pretty sensitive. They all work on the doppler theory, but the readout is numerical and audible rather than visual display. Though the capability isn't built into them, I'm sure they are also perfectly suited to pick up small moving particles.

I know a few years ago as Police Officer, I was able to "clock" a bicycle accurately 1/4 mile away. Some of the things to watch out for on the dash mounted units are clocking the AC fan when it's blowing on the windshield (Defrost). Back scatter when following a large panel van or semi-truck. Things of that nature.

One of the few pleasures I derived on the night shift, was to sit in the parking lot parallel to I-35 and hit the "stand by off" button as vehicle were flying down. You could alsways tell who had a radar detector.

Back