Question for mounting equipment

I have a question about mounting equpment in my ride

I have a cb radio that I want to mound without drilling holes. I have used that double sided velcro sticky tape, and for now it is holding, but I know once summer hits, the adhesive just won't hold up.

Does anyone have any ideas on non-intrusive mounts for items such as this?

(the cb is vertically mounted along side my center console)

I appreciate any ideas out there!

I'm not sure what kind of velcro you got, but some of the stronger kind should hold fine. I bought mine at walmart and it is still holding.

carsetup1.jpg

I'm not exactly sure when I mounted that scanner, but this image is from my old website address so it had to be at least 2003. I gave up on replacing blown off antennas so it is never used, but it still sits right there like that. My car is always parked outside in the sun and the color of it is black. It gets hot as hell here in the summer and cold as hell here in the winter....and it is still holding just fine.

carsetup8.jpg

Even this inverter died before the velcro gave up.

There is an industrial-strength velcro you can get at Lowe's or Home Depot that is pretty strong. It is a little expensive at $20 a roll.

great guys! I appreciate it. The stuff (velcro) I have I know in the heat and humidity here, just gives up after time.
I will check out the Lowes/Home Depot stuff.
I think the name on the stuff I had was actually Velcro brand. (could be wrong though)

I use the industrial strength velcro from Lowes for some things, but it's not the velcro itself that is the problem, but the glue on the back. Get's hot and slides down.

yeah, i'm trying to cut down on the whole velcro thing, it's just made a mess out of everything in my jeep... this year, i'm finally going to get a real laptop mount (Jotto Desk) and I just got done getting my power inverter setup so I don't have to use the friggin cig lighter connection anymore, having it positioned under the passenger seat. Velcro must like you, H!

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year I used two of the stackable wire desk shelves from Staples to build a central 'console' where most everything is mounted. They are nice to use as 'racks' and just about anything can be wire-tied to them. It should fit between two bucket seats in any car. You can run the wires neatly along the frames with wire ties. We even mounted a second Jotto desk to it for use by a passenger in the back. I'm planning on rebuilding it and expanding it before this season.

Here is a shot before we did the final wire-tie-downs:

http://wvlightning.com/chase2006/photos/mobilenet1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I only used velcro because I don't want to put any holes in the car. That is my goal at least, and that is why I mentioned velcro. If there are more ways..... let's hear em!!!

Depending on what/where you want to mount things, the seat bolts can be great place to anchor things. You can fabricate a simple metal bracket that uses the seat bolts and then build up what you need from there. There's some commercial solutions for this too; RAM mounts and a few others have some specific vehicle installations and a few generic items too.

mounting

Depending on the vehicle you have, I know in my suburban I built a custom box out of simple MDF plywood, covered it in some cheap walmart carpet and was on my way. I built 2 pockets into it and put a CB in one and the HAM in another. There's some space between the front console and the dash, so that's where it sits.

-Shawn

I'm with Hollingshead, you must have the more basic kind of velcro. I've got the industrial strength stuff, and have had my scanner mounted in the exact same spot as Mike's for two years without reapplying it once. My car is also dark red so it's no stranger to heat or anything.

I'm with Hollingshead, you must have the more basic kind of velcro. I've got the industrial strength stuff, and have had my scanner mounted in the exact same spot as Mike's for two years without reapplying it once. My car is also dark red so it's no stranger to heat or anything.
I am going to try this option today. I am sure you are right about the velcro I had.

Thanks again all for your input. It is appreciated!

Back