Lets see that Dash! 2015 Edition.

My setup is made for chasing solo, though it can easily be shifted to hold passengers. Laptop is held by a RAM Mount by the way of a universal mount screwed into the console as they dont make a no drill mount for my Hyundai. Tablet held in the cupholder with a Tab-tite mount. You can pick up good deals on ebay for RAM products if you are patient. Generally have most the wires tucked under floor mats or into paneling, but not to extreme as I like to be able to remove stuff if need.
IMG_20150421_093247.jpg
IMG_20150315_223457.jpg

400W hardwired power inverter and all plug ins are under the seats. The nets on the back of the seats have come in super handy. One holds in my router for my camera dome setup (more about that here - https://stormtrack.org/threads/streaming-ip-camera-dome-camera.27816/). The other holds my mifi jetpack to keep the antenna and power cord from getting knocked loose. Also put in a couple of extra cigarette lighter/power socket splitters (had them laying around) to add a couple USB ports and to be able to have my front and back amber light switches in 1 place.
IMG_20150421_093322.jpg

Some other shots of the dash area:
IMG_20150307_024526.jpg IMG_20150329_223927.jpgIMG_20150421_093224.jpg

I am tempted to move the CB to the driver side like Chuck (thought about it when I put it in too). Afraid my leg would hit it too much on my side. My primary use is the weather radio anyways, so I dont necessarily need easy access to it. Also as much as I try to hide wires, once I get chasing and have the cameras on the dash the wires are all over the place to keep them charged.

Only had an officer say something about the computer once, which I had it closed when he pulled me over but while waiting on him I opened it to watch the radar. He just said to keep it closed while on the road. That was from an OK trooper. I always close it when going through towns just to be safe, as it is not worth a wreck or a ticket. Big reason why I bought laptop holders that allow you to close the lid. The most common reaction I get with law enforcement, like this past Friday in Guymon, OK when I got pulled over for my fog lights being on, is "did you see any good storms" or how was the chasing". The computer is normally not an attention grabber for them it seems.

All of my gear sits fairly low, with the obvious exception of the cell and camera (if its mounted). I rarely get any attention.

As for my prototype setup performance thus far...driving on some pretty terrible roads, everything has stayed in place as hoped. No failures from any of the Dual-Lock attachments.

Issues:
1) Camera being mounted to the lid of that dash compartment...its bouncy, so not really great for mobile video, but satisfactory for moving stills and fine for stationary video and stills.
2) Having the gPad mounted above the iPad, its somewhat top heavy, so my arkon mount will "travel" away from me on particularly rough terrain. Only moves a little bit and easily pulled back into position. May try some alternate positioning as the season goes on.
3) My CB location prevents me from using my magnetic exterior antenna unless I mount it near the front of the roof, as the cable isn't long enough. I have a full length roof basket, and a giant glass moonroof, so mag mount options are limited to the rear of the roof. May move CB, but like location and portable antenna works "ok" in most situations. Like Wesley, I use mine for mostly WX band.

I didn't get a chance to mention anything about my pics. The mount is made by Akron, it's a little wobbly when on the move but fine when the vehicle is sitting still. The iPad is a gen 3 and is very resourceful. It's really easy to switch between apps by touchscreen instead of trying to use a mouse or mousepad. I'll be using my iPhone as a mobile hotspot, otherwise I'll try and link to a free wifi connection (like at a McDonald's) while waiting for storm development, gotta watch the budget you know. The only other things I will be using are a handheld scanner from Radio Shack to monitor weather radio. It's mounted on the drivers side sun visor and has a antenna on the roof. A 40 channel Cobra CB radio mounted below the steering wheel (yes my knee does hit it occasionally) to listen to the truckers and also has an antenna on the roof. I also have a Garmin GPS mounted on the windshield by the drivers door, clearance between the dash, the rear view mirror, and the roof is minimal. I'm sorta on a budget so I use just the basics. Hope you enjoyed the pics. Bring on the storms!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some great ideas here. Its about the same why I want to run a setup in my car, minimal but useful.

As for those who have their CB mounted next to the steering wheel, isn't that an airbag area? My 2013 Dodge Journey has an airbag system there so it killed my hopes of mounting one there.

Back