Lets see that Dash! 2015 Edition.

Everyone has some sort of setup, from simple to holy crap that all fits?!

This year I'm expanding beyond my previous setup of iPad on Arkon and Smartphone on Sleek. Been wanting to set up a more cockpit type feeling and keep everything within reach for one handed operation without having to reach at all. Also wanted the option to dash mount my DSLR, so then my other DSLR can ride on the tripod.

I bought a salvage dash compartment cover because I didnt want to drill holes in my car (visible holes at least) and mounted the Sleek 4GV on a windshield mount sans suction cup using some aluminum angle. Did the same with my camera mount.

Custom made sheet metal mount for CB radio screwed to dash behind glove box door (glove box still operational), so fasteners (and holes) arent visible. CB attached to bracket using 3M Dual-Lock (like velcro, but so much better, it snaps in place rather that "tears" and is only one strip that attaches to itself).
Dual-Lock

Custom bracket for gPad, again sheetmetal, and again, Dual-Lock'd to the Arkon for quick removal. Tablet then Dual-Locked to bracket.

Power inverter also Dual-Lock'd to side of console for quick access.

Did a couple shakedown runs, and while tablets and camera vibrate like expected, everything stayed in place. Even video wasn't too shaky.

Very happy with the results. So show what ya got! Lets spread some ideas and see the creativity of converting your vehicle to chase mode!

FXT2015SETUP copy.jpg

Yeah, still just running the little 400w, but with the battery life on both tablets and the phone easily 8+ hours just running checks on radar, maps and fairly constant scanner/music apps, I rarely need to plug in. I'll usually cycle the camera batteries through while I'm out, and charge anything else if it heads below 50%.

Eventually I'd like a hardwired 1000w, but for now I'm set.

This gen Forester has a fairly narrow cabin, so getting everything in reach wasn't too difficult.

Marc very nice clean look. I like that. I am trying to get better with less wires but its always a work in progress. This is my current set up for the dash.. I wont post the other million pics with everything else going on haha. Running a tech store is the down fall to my in car gadgetry .

Attachments

• 20150321_193918.jpg
    20150321_193918.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 440
  • 20150321_194011.jpg
    20150321_194011.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 429
Well...in all fairness, I took that pic before routing all the wiring, but once I did that, it still ended up pretty clean and unobtrusive. Going on a long-shot chase this afternoon to give the new setup a full workout...before the damn snow comes. o_O

I used to have everything up front, but got tired of things always being in the way. Back in 2007, I started using a small piece of desktop shelving to mount all of my in-vehicle electronics. I use cable ties to secure both wires and devices to this. I haven't taken any recent photos of the setup, but here is the 2007 original. Back then I had a laptop acting as an internet gateway for a standard wifi router. The inverter was mounted to this after this photo was taken. The fans were to keep air circulating in the small space I had it mounted, to keep the inverter and router cool.

Today, I still use this same piece of shelving grid to mount the WxWorx receiver, inverter, power strip, and a 12v main bus for all accessories (dashcams, chargers, etc). Essentially, everything in the car (110v or 12v) plugs into this central unit. Since I'm currently driving a small car, this is kept in the trunk and out of the way. When I had a Ranger, I had it mounted to the back of the cab under the window, and when I had a Freestyle, it was mounted back between the middle seats. It has served me well in keeping things organized and helping to keep wires from getting tangled/unplugged.

Attachments

• gridmount.jpg
    gridmount.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 374
I used to have everything up front, but got tired of things always being in the way. Back in 2007, I started using a small piece of desktop shelving to mount all of my in-vehicle electronics. I use cable ties to secure both wires and devices to this. I haven't taken any recent photos of the setup, but here is the 2007 original. Back then I had a laptop acting as an internet gateway for a standard wifi router. The inverter was mounted to this after this photo was taken. The fans were to keep air circulating in the small space I had it mounted, to keep the inverter and router cool.

Today, I still use this same piece of shelving grid to mount the WxWorx receiver, inverter, power strip, and a 12v main bus for all accessories (dashcams, chargers, etc). Essentially, everything in the car (110v or 12v) plugs into this central unit. Since I'm currently driving a small car, this is kept in the trunk and out of the way. When I had a Ranger, I had it mounted to the back of the cab under the window, and when I had a Freestyle, it was mounted back between the middle seats. It has served me well in keeping things organized and helping to keep wires from getting tangled/unplugged.

Thats a really clever approach, Dan. I know I have some issues with the Arkon seat bolt mount when I've had passengers in the past, even without all the gear in place. Its just awkward and makes an already small passenger space that much smaller for anyone who rides. Plus having a 5-speed, I can't pull it all the way over the center console to give people more room. But my solution is no passengers and solo chasing. I prefer it that way. When wifey and I go somewhere, we use her car.

I'm slowly working on mine, but I'll be sure to post up when I have it close to the way I want it. I'm getting ready to install my old bluetooth head unit out of my old truck and will use the space below it to mount a cheap CB that I have laying around (with WX band). I have a Yeasu 7900R that's getting ready to go in. Main body behind the back seat, remote head where one of the pockets on the ceiling console was. Siruis Satellite radio will be mounted on top of the dash left of the steering wheel. It'll probably take a while for me to get it all done, but I'll post pics as I get parts of it done.

Marc,

Nice setup. Nice Subi too.

I'm always quite jealous of not being able to 'set a car up' - I can imagine it's quite an exciting time of year to do so.

Whilst this might not be the thread to start a discussion I'm intrigued to know how people's set-ups may change if further restrictions on visible screens, cell phone usage, etc etc, come in. For example, over here in the UK most 'typical' US chaser set-ups would be illegal.

Whilst this might not be the thread to start a discussion I'm intrigued to know how people's set-ups may change if further restrictions on visible screens, cell phone usage, etc etc, come in.

Since both my tablets clearly show my real-time location on a road network, I assert they are no different from a Garmin GPS. I would let my lawyer explain the radar overlay :)

Rather than repost the entire entry, I'll just point anyone interested to my blog which describes my 2015 "Dash"

Regarding law enforcement's view of the dash "clutter" I've been pulled over several times during chases and always was met with curiosity. Now that being said, I don't try to call attention to myself when enroute to a target by having everything on and visible and making damn sure I'm not behaving like an idiot on the road. If I need to concentrate on something other than the road, I get off the road...

If stopped, I always treat the individual with respect, answer all questions honestly, and ALWAYS say you are a storm "spotter" not "chaser"

It doesn't hurt to have a Skywarn sticker visible. Law Enforcement is quite familiar with the program and adds legitimacy to your activities.

Back