Quad-State Supercell/Tornado Event (2021-12-10)

I've been following the storm on radar since it was near Jonesboro, AR. Keeps blowing my mind everytime I check on it that it's still going. Definitely been a rough night for folks in the path. Hopefully it doesn't make it to Louisville.

2:45a

Governor of Kentucky says more than 50 people have been killed by the tornadoes.

There are rumors that 11 were killed NE of downtown STL in Edwardsville, IL.

I was out with my wife and friends last night so didn’t get much chance to watch things unfold. Just before I went to bed, I checked radar and this was the best—looking couplet at the time… But I don’t see any actual reports for this time or location, although the warning said confirmed tornado 🤔
1639227837779.jpeg

News conference says the tornado was on the ground for 227 miles. Likely up to 100 lives lost.

As it was unfolding my brother and I were texting back and forth. Night time wedge, moving quickly through populated areas, in a part of the country with few basements and numerous mobile homes is a recipe for tragedy. If there is a silver lining it is that the storm allowed ample lead time ahead of it giving folks a chance to find shelter.

I'll be interested to see the path. Our sirens sounded twice over the course of about an hour, but the tv coverage focused on action well north of us. There was 1 death reported in Defiance, MO - St. Charles Co. An Amazon warehouse collapsed near Edwardsville, IL, 2 deaths so far, search & rescue still ongoing.

This is obviously not the long track tornado that affected AR, KY, TN.

As a reminder - it will take days (at least) to survey the storm path and confirm whether it was one single tornado or multiple tornadoes.
I'll be surprised if it ends up being a single tornado. Over the course of watching it on radar, there was more than once where there appeared to be a pair of weaker couplets in between the scans with a single stronger couplet. It could have been satellites getting picked up by radar, or it could have been the storm cycling. Either way, as you said, we'll have to wait and see.

If anyone is interested, I have an overview of the rotation tracks here: Random Thoughts in the Aftermath of Last Night's Horrific Tornadoes

The Defiance Tornado was from a different storm than the Edwardsville Tornado. The latter's mesocyclone developed near University City and moved northeast.

I'll be interested to see the path. Our sirens sounded twice over the course of about an hour, but the tv coverage focused on action well north of us. There was 1 death reported in Defiance, MO - St. Charles Co. An Amazon warehouse collapsed near Edwardsville, IL, 2 deaths so far, search & rescue still ongoing.

This is obviously not the long track tornado that affected AR, KY, TN.

There are some amazing radar images from this event. The one that really grabbed my attention was the amount of debris carried aloft and into the storm's circulation during and after the intense tornado struck Mayfield. I've seen better images than the CC 0.5º tilt pictured below, but it's still amazing. I've also seen vertical CC scans posted on social media showing debris at 36k feet!

cc-scan.png

With regard to Hannah's annotated map of the long-track supercell: why would NWS PAH take their radar offline during the storm?

I have no idea if this is legit or not. I suspect it isn’t. It’s supposed to be a screen shot of a video taken last night with many vortices Illuminated by lightening. I hope someone has more info on it than I do. It was sent to me because I have an obvious interest in storms.DFC4BAE8-5633-4F19-9EC4-93E0B36DDFDA.jpeg

I have no idea if this is legit or not. I suspect it isn’t. It’s supposed to be a screen shot of a video taken last night with many vortices Illuminated by lightening. I hope someone has more info on it than I do. It was sent to me because I have an obvious interest in storms.View attachment 22380

I enlarged the image and the sides of the pixels are very uniform and unusually vertical, which ***likely*** means the "tornadoes" are poles or some other type of man-made or natural objects. The one on the right, extends in front of the horizon with slightly lighter pixels. There are also no ground disturbances (dust) at the base of the objects, which is telling. I'm not saying it's faked, but most of us have shot similar nighttime images with polenaodes, smokestacknadoes and treenadoes, which are considered harmless by the SPC.

pic.jpg

That happened in 2011 as well, best as I recall. Or rather, I think it was NOAA weather radio…

Back