• Jeff Snyder

Votes: 54 31.8%
  • Skip Talbot

Votes: 31 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Congrats Jeff!
pixel.png

Have to say, though, that I'm surprised at the relatively low voter turnout. Out of curiosity, I started counting heads in the membership list beginning at the letter A, and I didn't make it all the way through the B names before I hit 174. Extrapolating from that, roughly 8 percent of Stormtrack members voted.

I was watching that myself, and if elected, my first action would've been a major push to eliminate the dead weight. I still maintain that no posts should = no account. Lots of folks who want to lurk can access the important stuff without having a user account, and then can be added as they feel comfortable enough to participate.

Congratulations to Mr. Snyder.

I know Tim V had mentioned that 3 "representatives" would be voted to the position of moderator. Any word if the top 3 vote-getters will receive spots or how those other two spots will be filled?

Congrats, Jeff. Jeff has shown us before that he can make a great mod, and the ST members have chosen wisely.

As for voter turn out, I don't think it was that bad. Out of 1270 members, just under 14% voted. That's not bad considering most members aren't on here every week. Out of those who did sign on during the voting period (about 550), just under a third voted. That's probably a good enough cross section of members.

Good to see Jeff S. get the spot...certainly one of my top picks.

Of course this also will likely secure Jeff as the top poster (by number) here on ST. :p

I'm glad to see Jeff get elected. I think he's a splendid choice; I've found him to be amazingly helpful, and he strikes me as a level-headed individual who has what it takes to help maintain quality and civility in the forums. Congratulations, Jeff!

Have to say, though, that I'm surprised at the relatively low voter turnout. Out of curiosity, I started counting heads in the membership list beginning at the letter A, and I didn't make it all the way through the B names before I hit 174. Extrapolating from that, roughly 8 percent of Stormtrack members voted.
I didn't vote, mainly because I had one heck of a week and didn't log into the forums until today - thus, I had no idea an election was taking place.

Just a suggestion, in the future, sending an Admin email to the membership letting them know an election is taking place might be a good idea to increase voting...

I didn't vote, mainly because I had one heck of a week and didn't log into the forums until today - thus, I had no idea an election was taking place.

Just a suggestion, in the future, sending an Admin email to the membership letting them know an election is taking place might be a good idea to increase voting...

I'll second that suggestion. I was aware and voted, but it's not that unusual for me and other active members I know to be absent from (or at least not actually log in to) ST for stretches of a week to a few weeks at a time when other more pressing life issues take precedence. I would have missed it entirely a few months ago, when I was paying closer attention to the Reports and W&C areas of the board. My brother, Marc, wasn't even aware of all the recent controversy and suspension discussion due to a heavy school load and his internship with NWS Tallahassee. That said, I agree with Shane to some degree about those who are completely inactive or just lurking. Perhaps an admin type of email notice would work. Then again, even inactives would receive that, so I guess I'm torn a little.

Congrats, Jeff! You were a fine moderator before, and I'm sure the board will benefit greatly again from your experience and levelheadedness. Thanks to all of you who volunteered your time and effort for this position. I know you are each passionate about ST and would do everything possible to preserve and even improve the community going forward. Best of luck in future selections/elections.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, thanks greatly for all the kind comments! I find it extremely important that we keep the lines of communications open between the moderators and all members. From my experience, it's easy (and certainly not intentional!) to develop a negative (and sometimes combative) attitude towards the moderating staff when the moderators are distanced (in communication) from the concerned members. Remember, many of us (mods) want the same thing that all members want -- an informative and fun forum for chasers to gather and talk storms. All of this is a long way of saying that if anyone ever has a problem with the forum, please feel free to contact the moderators if you ever have any concerns or comments! Like with many relationships in life, not communicating and keeping concerns bottled up often leads to problems down the road, so always feel free to let me know of any concerns you may have.

As was mentioned several days ago I decided to go ahead and take all of the top 3 popular choices. I figured three heads are better than one, as far as new moderators ago, and combined they represent over 50% of the general membership. It will also help spread out the workload, though right now there's not a lot going on weatherwise.

Our new moderators additions are now Jeff Snyder, Skip Talbot, and Tony Laubach.

Congratulations to all!

Tim

Back