• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Poor Media Use of Weather Terminology

I hate it when news said that a funnel cloud was spotted when the video shows an obvious tornado on the ground

I may have mentioned it earlier in this threat - but local news will often not call it a tornado until the NWS has confirmed. They are accurate to call it a funnel cloud.

Even our scud is mean here…no…definitely a tornado though…that’s actually the best footage I have seen of it….other video was murky

The storm…track

More like 5 mil’ guys…it did hit a chicken house…like eggs weren’t expensive enough.

Our current concern

Dust devil? That video literally shows a tornado on the ground, you can even see the dust being connected to a funnel and the cloud base

From a Wall Street Jounal article about the Rolling Fork Tornado

The severe weather began as heavy rain Friday afternoon across Arkansas, Missouri and the Ohio Valley, and then turned into what’s known as a supercell, a particularly powerful type of rotating thunderstorm, according to National Weather Service meteorologist Marc Chenard.”

From a Wall Street Jounal article about the Rolling Fork Tornado

The severe weather began as heavy rain Friday afternoon across Arkansas, Missouri and the Ohio Valley, and then turned into what’s known as a supercell, a particularly powerful type of rotating thunderstorm, according to National Weather Service meteorologist Marc Chenard.”

where's the Emoji for "ugh", lol

Dust devil? That video literally shows a tornado on the ground, you can even see the dust being connected to a funnel and the cloud base
I don't know why it was called as "dust devil"

Ummmmmmmm....what?

I mentioned it in another thread but that's standard media terminology unless a tornado has been officially confirmed by NWS survey, even though it's really meant for situations where some storm damage occurred in the middle of the night or invisible inside a wall of rain. When a hundred chasers have video of a huge funnel flinging debris everywhere, then...<shrugs>.

I work as a newscast director for a local TV station, and I've told our producers to stop using that term when there's clear video of it. It usually comes to us in the boilerplate scripts that accompany national network video.

My favorite was on The Weather Channel decades ago:

The girl was trying to say “hot off the press” and she said “my hot little hands.”

It's kind of a dead horse at this point, isn't it? It's standard media practice to wait for NWS confirmation that a tornado occurred. Yes, it looks silly when there's spectacular video of it in progress. My station did this in our story about the Greenwood tornado this morning. I reminded our producer not to do that when there's clear video, but it'll probably keep happening.

It's kind of a dead horse at this point, isn't it? It's standard media practice to wait for NWS confirmation that a tornado occurred. Yes, it looks silly when there's spectacular video of it in progress. My station did this in our story about the Greenwood tornado this morning. I reminded our producer not to do that when there's clear video, but it'll probably keep happening.
Found another post about the Greenwood tornado (called as "funnel cloud" by AP)

Back