• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Acceptable Storm Reporting Methods in the Digital Age

This is a topic that has been on my mind for several months now. For those who don't know I participate as a VOST member in an Integrated Warning Team in Texas. That's a fancy way of saying I funnel reports from social media to the National Weather Service and other official entities during weather events. My experience has allowed me to see reporting methods from the perspective of a chaser and from someone who is looking for reports in real time. The exchange between the NWS Amarillo and a couple of chasers back in December brought storm reporting methods into the spotlight. No worries - I'm not here to rehash that exchange. What I did see in Mississippi and Alabama today shows that we do need to have a community discussion on acceptable reporting methods.

A majority of storm chasers out there today have a social media presence. It’s never been easier to post tornado pictures or video in real-time to social media outlets. Facebook, Twitter, Periscope, Instagram, Google+, Pinterest, Digg, and Snapchat are just a few platforms out there. The National Weather Service actively participates in an official capacity on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. For the purpose of this discussion we'll keep our platforms limited to Facebook and Twitter. Facebook is a good platform for posting weather information leading up to an event. Newsfeed algorithms make Facebook a poor choice for real time information since posts will often display in a newsfeed hours later.

Twitter, while having a 140-character limit (for now), does not have such limitations. It’s a great platform to disseminating and communicating weather events as they are occurring. I use Twitter to receive hyper-local weather reports from the public. I, in turn, pass those reports on to other members of the Integrated Warning Team (IWT). That’s my ‘job’ and hence I have the time and resources to do it most of the time. Many National Weather Service offices do not have the manpower to actively monitor social media in real-time during an event. The government shutdown a few years back along with fiscal budget cuts have resulted in many offices having unfilled staff positions. When it comes down to game-time some office simply cannot have someone sitting at a display of Twitter/Facebook to watch for reports. Busier offices may also have several tweets coming in per minute.

Social media is not an acceptable first-report platform. The traditional methods of reporting need to continue. Typical reporting methods include Spotter Network, direct phone communication with the NWS, or amateur radio. If you file your report on social media and tag the NWS office, it is not a guarantee that they'll see that report in real-time. Nor is it guaranteed that the said NWS office recognizes you as a storm chaser. It is not their job to keep a list of 'trusted chasers' on file or in memory. Obviously if you have built a relationship with your local office that is a different story and your report may be taken more seriously. Social media has also been plagued with 'fake' storm pictures that are many years old. Great caution is taken to ensure photo authenticity in relation to a current event which can further delay a report.

With all of that said - social media does have positive benefits if used correctly. Some chasers have let the NWS know in a SN/phone report that they have posted pictures on their twitter account - normally tagging that office. Some have even gone as far as to include their personal Twitter handle in online reports. All of those suggestions are good. Using social media in combination with traditional reporting methods will allow for rapid verification of any media content posted.

If you read only this: Don't assume the National Weather Service saw your Twitter report. Make sure you take the time to file a Spotter Network report or directly call the National Weather Service with your severe weather report.

You make a great point David. I will say Twitter is great for tagging the NWS office and posting a picture of whatever may be going on. Unfortunately it may not always be acceptable to make a SN report - I can think of a few times on 12/26 where I posted pictures of the base of the storm to give FWD and SHV a look at the base of the storm, but there really wasn't anything to report. They had the storms tornado warned or severe warned (I forget now, I think tornado warned) and there was never a tornado imminent.

Here's a few examples:
https://twitter.com/oklahomachaser/status/680879287570796544
https://twitter.com/oklahomachaser/status/680878495682052096
https://twitter.com/oklahomachaser/status/680876440506634240
https://twitter.com/oklahomachaser/status/680871506717454336
https://twitter.com/oklahomachaser/status/680860598393946112

So the question becomes - Are these types of reports useful to the NWS and public at large watching? Should some of the understaffed/overworked offices call for more volunteers to help comb through twitter to find information? I think twitter is here to stay and if someone is going through the trouble to tag the office, they should have a somewhat timely (< 5 minutes) reception IMO.

With that said, I saw a tornado that day as well and immediately went to SN to drop a report. Unfortunately, I know the LOT/Chicago office doesn't even see SN reports in their NWSChat and some offices don't seem to utilize NWSChat much, so I'm not sure they're always seeing reports. SN also has a deficiency when it comes to mobile apps, ability to upload photos, etc. That is something I've talked to @John Wetter on in recent days, and 'upgrading' to integrate those would be nice -but dev time & money are in short supply. If anyone reading has an abundance of either, please reach out as I do think that is the next logical step for SN.

One final point I really want to impress: We need to be making reports in general. I've witnessed chasers making 5 FB updates in 10 minutes and not taking the time to drop a single SN report or call the NWS office while watching a tornado. I'm definitely out to be selfish and see tornadoes, but come on guys, if you can't take 15-30 seconds to drop a report you are just being a selfish ass.

With that said, I saw a tornado that day as well and immediately went to SN to drop a report. Unfortunately, I know the LOT/Chicago office doesn't even see SN reports in their NWSChat and some offices don't seem to utilize NWSChat much, so I'm not sure they're always seeing reports. SN also has a deficiency when it comes to mobile apps, ability to upload photos, etc.

David Reimer said:
Social media is not an acceptable first-report platform. The traditional methods of reporting need to continue. Typical reporting methods include Spotter Network, direct phone communication with the NWS, or amateur radio. If you file your report on social media and tag the NWS office, it is not a guarantee that they'll see that report in real-time. Nor is it guaranteed that the said NWS office recognizes you as a storm chaser. It is not their job to keep a list of 'trusted chasers' on file or in memory. Obviously if you have built a relationship with your local office that is a different story and your report may be taken more seriously. Social media has also been plagued with 'fake' storm pictures that are many years old. Great caution is taken to ensure photo authenticity in relation to a current event which can further delay a report.

Clearly we have a problem here when two experienced chasers post contradicting information. What I get out of this exchange: SN is out (even though I prefer it...just seems like it died a few years ago and isn't coming back).

The government shutdown a few years back along with fiscal budget cuts have resulted in many offices having unfilled staff positions. When it comes down to game-time some office simply cannot have someone sitting at a display of Twitter/Facebook to watch for reports. Busier offices may also have several tweets coming in per minute.

I think this is the leading contributor to less-than-ideal reporting strategies. There are plenty of systems set up for people to report, but not enough bodies to actually check at the other end of the line. Until budgets come back up and more employees are hired, problems will probably remain.

I think it's naive or cynical to discount the value of social media. Yes, there will be assholes who will make false reports, just like there are assholes who called in false reports over the last 50 years, whether it's because they're being malicious/trolls or because they're stupid and don't know the difference between a tail cloud and a tornado, but social media has opened up a huge flow of users, observing systems, and information. Social media reports may be of lower quality on average than SN reports or reports from a 10-year veteran storm chaser, but I think in the realm of severe weather reporting, some information that may have flaws is better than zero information whatsoever. Again, I think paying someone at a WFO who is dedicated to vetting reports that come in will help keep the quality of reports that go to meteorologists up.

Clearly we have a problem here when two experienced chasers post contradicting information. What I get out of this exchange: SN is out (even though I prefer it...just seems like it died a few years ago and isn't coming back).

I don't think they contradicted at all... Remember even if the NWS isn't actively monitoring SN reports - the media CERTAINLY is and many EMs are too... That's going to look AMAZINGLY bad when a WFO doesn't pay attention and misses the big one - especially in a market like Chicago. Can you imagine the headlines the next day (and anyone not familiar with Chicago missing the big one needs to look back about 25 years) when it comes out that a warning was delayed 11 minutes because nobody in the WFO was monitoring spotter reports?

Again, I think paying someone at a WFO who is dedicated to vetting reports that come in will help keep the quality of reports that go to meteorologists up.

Many offices (should) have their Skywarn controller also help monitor social media. The really good ones like Norman actually have a digital support team (called a VOST) that monitor feeds from their homes or wherever and then relay information in.

I believe in innovation when trying to fill the gaps in emergency management challenges. I personally feel like social media is a good reporting method but with any innovation comes more challenges. The challenges with social media is the lack of accuracy detection and lack of accountability for reports. Someone might see some moving clouds associated with a storm, SCUD and other non-threatening situations and assume they are associated with a tornado and report it as a tornado. This is the challenge for NWS and other warning sources, trying to determine if the report is real or not. This IMO is where good old fashion storm spotters and even storm chasers come into play... NWS can rely on them as well as local media and public safety sources to help confirm areas with reports but some kind of relationship needs to be established first. I suggest all spotters, chasers and the likes get in contact with local public safety, emergency management, media and NWS folks and tell them you are willing to help confirm reports if they need your assistance. Doing this, IMPO, will help strengthen relations between public safety and the severe weather enthusiast community as well. My few cents at least :)

Threads like this is why I'm glad I don't depend on technology, and a prime reason for why this country is going to crap. I'm sorry, but you have a thread about reporting tornadoes and you include social media such as twitter and facebook in that. The same platform that Kendall Jenner uses to post her duck face selfies with Justin Beiber, and yet you wonder why a government ran office such as the NWS doesn't take your report seriously? Give me a f'n break.

If you want your reports heard and taken seriously, pick up your damn phone and call it in. If you have a ham radio, report it to a local Skywarn net. The time you spend taking selfies of yourself in front of clouds can be used to call in reports.

Last edited:
Threads like this is why I'm glad I don't depend on technology, and a prime reason for why this country is going to crap. I'm sorry, but you have a thread about reporting tornadoes and you include social media such as twitter and facebook in that. The same platform that Kendall Jenner uses to post her duck face selfies with Justin Beiber, and yet you wonder why a government ran office such as the NWS doesn't take your report seriously? Give me a f'n break.

If you want your reports heard and taken seriously, pick up your damn phone and call it in. If you have a ham radio, report it to a local Skywarn net. The time you spend taking selfies of yourself in front of clouds can be used to call in reports.

I would agree that social media shouldn't be a spotter/chaser's go to method of reporting severe weather. But, why do these government run offices even have twitter and facebook accounts then? Is it just to give forecasts/warnings? Well, there are plenty of whackos on social media putting out insane forecasts, and their own versions of warnings.

Since these NWS government run offices decided to embrace social media, and have made accounts on these platforms, and probably employ people for the sole purpose of running the social media aspect of their offices, then I wouldn't think a thread discussing reports and social media is that crazy...Like it or not, I doubt social media is going to be disappearing anytime soon.

Last edited:
While I think social media is a good source for reporting, I don't think it should be the 'go to' reporting method. But social media is good for warnings and what not because everyone is on it. I used to always be on Facebook until I finally started spending less time on it because I felt that too much time spent was wasted time. But everyone else uses social media religiously and that will probably continue on through the years. You put the warnings out where people congregate and social media is one of those places where people are always at.

I have an official meeting with the local WCM here at AMA to discuss this exact issue. He expressed to me that he wants to make something happen to bridge the gap between chasers and reporting. I think most chasers (myself included) just have a cumbersome time reporting. Usually has to do with data coverage. But I usually try to call in reports.

I think in the age of technology, quick apps that don't hog data is what we need. Something that can be precise and easy to use. Periscope is something I'm intrigued to use and going to suggest it in this meeting.

I think social media probably isn't the best way. Lots of ways for false reports to come in and bury legit ones. Twitter does seem like the best option though. If I report via Twitter I usually tag the nws office for where I'm at. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Stormtrack mobile app

Like it or not, Joey's 2nd paragraph is correct. Everyone seems to try to make it so difficult. It almost seems incredibly self serving...just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Stormtrack mobile app

Great discussion. First, I'll check on the SN reports and LOT. If they aren't taking them, then that's the only office I know of in the country. SN is known in the NWS as being some of the best quality reports available, so it is held in good regard and is hardly dead or dying. Yes, we need a mobile app and legal and other hurdles have been passed allowing for it to move forward. BUT, as mentioned, it is incredibly simple to make an SN report and it gets to everywhere it is needed very quickly. AMA is wanting to use SN more and put it out there as the primary electronic means of sending reports. They still want calls if possible, but SN is next, I've been having an email exchange with the new WCM out there over the last week and we have some great plans in the works.

To completely discount social media as a source of reports though is incredibly short-sighted though and is simply not a reality so if you're unable to move on from that, it's unfortunate.

BUT, social media should be the last resort, much like 911. I always tell people in my classes, "911 is a last resort for the unprepared" when speaking to spotters or chasers.

The first line is still doing a phone call though, especially in an unexpected or unusual situation. I love SN reports though because they are geo-located. You'd be amazed how many people, even experienced chasers that I have to assume have GPS in front of them, have no clue where they are precisely located when a tornado is in front of them. SN fixes this issue. But, it also drives me crazy to see pictures and video show up on Facebook and Twitter before a report is sent to the NWS. We're hoping to make SN a central part of the reporting structure and support rich media very soon in the future. As Ben said, any developers, especially iOS and Android, please step forward if you can!

Like it or not, Joey's 2nd paragraph is correct. Everyone seems to try to make it so difficult. It almost seems incredibly self serving...just my 2 cents.

Thank you, Clarence. Social Media is complete crap, period. It's a great way to get your name out there and build a fan base, beyond that it's a joke. It's a popularity contest pretty much. Anyone who is serious about "saving lives" would pick up the phone and make a call to report it instead of posting vague reports and selfies in front of the tornado. Social Media is a joke and is good for self promotion, beyond that there isn't much else use for it. Then again, get a cute cat picture and that'll go viral.

Clarence - as noted, everything has its purpose. You'd have to be an idiot to completely discount the value of social media. Use it for sending out live updates of road closures due to damage, it's great to send out pictures of the destruction, etc. There's a reason smart emergency managers use social media - that's where the people are. You aren't serving the public if you're ignoring where they public resides :)

Great thread. Different NWS offices monitor different streams of information depending upon how busy they are. I only have experience with two NWS offices, but here are the streams they monitor (based upon when I last spoke with them):

PUB
Phones - Always
Amateur Radio (Active SKYWARN Net) - Always
Amateur Radio (No Active SKYWARN Net) - Sometimes
SpotterNetwork - Always, but intermittently depending upon available staffing
Twitter - Sometimes, but not during active events
Facebook - Sometimes, but not during active events

OKX
Phones - Always
Amateur Radio (Active SKYWARN Net) - Unknown
Amateur Radio (No Active SKYWARN Net) - Unknown

SpotterNetwork - No
Twitter - Sometimes
Facebook - Sometimes

The color coding above is what I would recommend given an urgent report, such as a tornado. Phone should always be your #1 go-to reporting method. If you don't have a signal or don't know the number, then amateur radio. But not every office uses SpotterNetwork believe it or not.

Even during the last snowstorm we got here in Colorado last weekend, I was posting to Twitter because I didn't think it was that urgent. Then when we got 2" in one hour, I called it in and asked if they had gotten my twitter reports. They informed me that they had not looked at Twitter since the storm started 2 days prior. However, while on the phone with them, they pulled up their Twitter account and said they would include my other reports in their totals.

I think the problem is a lack of staffing and not being able to monitor all sources of information. So if it's urgent, call it in. If it's not urgent, Twitter and Facebook can be used for reporting for climate data (such as wind speeds, damage reports, etc). Twitter and Facebook can be used for posting urgent reports, but call in your report and tell them to check Twitter or Facebook for photos, videos, or whatever other details you have posted that can't be given over the phone.

Scott - when you refer to SpotterNetwork - are you talking about NWSChat? You're saying they don't always monitor the room when active weather is occurring?

rdale - You are correct about social media to some degree. If used properly, it has its purpose, but many times, twitter is a mess of tweets and pictures and limited information given. I will give you an example of how social media, specifically Twitter, is being used effectively in my CWA (OHX). We have a guy locally that runs a Twitter account (NashSevereWx) that many of you may or may not have heard about. He has partnered with OHX to collect storm reports via a program called #tspotter. It is very well managed and because of the partnership with our WFO, is very effective. I am also a big promoter of using Spotter Network because those reports are injected directly into NWS Chat which should be/is monitored heavily during high impact weather. Also, everyone has a phone...pick it up and use it...phone your reports in. Human contact is still an acceptable means of communication.

I still don't understand the ignorance toward Social Media, but it's also obvious no one is going to have their minds changed on that one... Social Media, as all digital modes has a place but the weaknesses of it need to be known.

To follow up with @Ben Holcomb 's mention earlier that LOT doesn't have SN reports go into NWSChat... That is true, though they are re-evaluating that at this time. HOWEVER, they do something even more, SN reports are ingested directly into AWIPS II so the forecasters see the reports right on their radar screens during warning operations so they are even more available to forecasters than they are in NWSChat, much like we see in GR2Analyst. The new WCM is re-looking at that as he has appreciated the SN feed in the past.

I think I'm closest to Ben on this issue. I don't know if the NWS is still using the old adage "If it spins, call it in" - but I think this is still a best practice. Something with imminent life taking ability needs to be done in the quickest person to person relay possible, and right now that is still picking up the phone. For the most part we're all chasers here and know what's up - it can suck ruffling through your shit filled vehicle digging for your phone and frantically looking for that local NWS number - I've been there and I totally get it. But beyond that, a quality 60 second phone call with someone at the NWS office is going to more clearly relay crucial information than any slew of tweets that tag the office.

Now, for those reports that aren't regarding an imminent threat to life and property, that is where I think social media or some other platform can come in handy. Sending in photos of the storm itself, damage, hail, non-severe reports... these are all great twitter candidates and something I do plenty. I'd never tweet a photo of a tornado and let that alone convince me I have done my part to warn the lives in its path however.

But it just doesn't take any time at all to make sure you have the phone # for the NWS offices in the territory you'll be chasing, combined with another 60-90 seconds having an actual discussion with an NWS meteorologist about what you're seeing when it could potentially save someones life.

My experience is with the FWD office. They primarily rely on amateur radio for reports, and the volunteer hams sit across the table from the forecasters (pictures of setup at http://wx5fwd.org/). The spotter call in line is answered by machine, but the volume is turned up so they can hear reports. Spotter Network is tied directly into NWSChat for them. They will tell you social media is last resort, but they do try to monitor it if they have staffing, although it looks to be more focused on posting than on reading. Tagging tweets with #fwdspotter is more likely to get you noticed if you do tweet. In a huge metropolitan area, reading all the tweets sent your way during an event can be hard. One advantage to ham radio is each report has been thru 2 filters - first the net controller on a given county's net and second by the WX5FWD radio desk team. Not every report made via ham radio gets repeated out loud over the table to the forecasters. The forecasters also ask questions and relay info to the radio desk team, which they relay to the nets. They FWD WFO office has a great writeup about the 12/26/16 event at http://www.srh.noaa.gov/fwd/?n=dec26tor to include a log of NWSChat from that day.

Social media, to me, is more accessible than calling simply because I'm hearing impaired. They need to place priority on monitoring SN too. Even a line to text (for spotters) would be easier.

I tested the SN web page report form on my Android phone's mobile Chrome browser and it does load in my lat/long (which seems critical) but I have to take off my glasses (or constantly zoom) to read the text, have to navigate to the page, type in my log in in tiny text on my phone (although Lastpass actually works for that), etc. I've got my hands full when in front of a storm so this all ends up being a bit of a barrier to submitting for me.

I would love to see a modern, very simple, spotter network app (something like MPing), and would happy to pay $5 or something similar for the app to support the development and maintenance of it if the money was being handled by a non profit (or a for-profit that's running it separately--maybe a side project by WDT or someone like that who already has a lot of mobile app experience?).

I would suggest a very simple, intentionally limited feature list like:
* Spotter Network reports using pull down menus, lat/long automatically filled in, etc.
* Display of call in number of local NWS office based on GPS location (maybe a button too that would trigger the phone dialer? I suck at remembering numbers)
* Spotter network location reporting (switchable on/off). I use Radar Scope mostly for this but a lot of times I turn RS off to save data if I'm also running GRLevel on the laptop or something.

Cool bonus feature:
* One button press to send the spotter network report (or a link) to the phone's twitter app for posting, and ability to add a photo there.
* Automatic tagging of nearest NWS twitter in the report message would be a bonus.

This combo for me would be great, since the weather service has some sort of validation of the reporter's background (the quiz that you have to take to get into SN) and then also the public and the NWS both could see a photo/video/periscope/etc linked to the SN report. With this way SN doesn't have to handle images, etc., which is always a moving target, and keep the SN app simple and up to date.

Thanks!

John

I was at the Colorado Springs EOC last week and ran into someone from the PUB office. I remembered this thread and asked them what their preferred reporting criteria is. Not saying this will be true for every NWS office, but this was PUB's response. BTW, it's not what I expected.

(1) SpotterNetwork.org
(2) Ham Radio during an active weather net only
(3) Phone Call
(4) Twitter

SpotterNetwork being their number one choice surprised me. Their rationale is that because you have to take a test to report, they know that reports coming from SpotterNetwork are more reliable than reports coming from the general public. So in summary, their priority list is based upon assumptions about reliability of reports, putting SpotterNetwork reports at the top of the list, then Skywarn certified Hams, then Skywarn phone calls, and last the general public.

I asked this question at our recent Skywarn training class in Phoenix. From the response, it's clear that it is up to the individual office.

Here are the Phoenix priorities:
  1. Web Site - national noaa.gov with local tag on URL. I am not posting it here - if your office uses it, they should have given it to you.
  2. Ham radio
  3. Email
  4. Telephone - often busy during event, so report may be delayed
  5. Twitter (they would prefer not)
They no longer monitor Spotter Network for reports. I didn't have time to get into this - Spotter Network has the ability to produce quality geo-tagged reports (the Android app I wrote - Radar Alive - interfaces with SN so I know what they have).

Their concern is workload. The web site and email get to them in a way that is easy to process when they have a chance. Ham radio can presumably use the web site too - someone on the net can take the report and put it into the system.

Their telephone is often busy during an event, so a report may be delayed.

They don't like Twitter - I don't know the exact reasoning.

They also said that if you are out of area, say, chasing in the mid west, calling or reporting to PHX (if it's your home office) is still a good idea because they know their spotters, while other offices won't.

I also went to spotter training the past week, from GJT (Grand Junction). Although I did not specifically ask, the preference they indicated in the presentation was, for serious weather such as tornadoes, high wind, large hail, very heavy rain etc., either phone, or via ham radio IF a Skywarn Net is up and operating in the area. For less urgent matters such as overnight rainfall or snowfall, or to send photos, email. No mention of SN or Twitter. I should have thought to ask (although I personally use neither of those), but did not.

Back