Poor Media Use of Weather Terminology

Yeah, looks like the SAPD probably should have added "NWS" in there somewhere - but the end result is the same. Advisories are useless. Thankfully they'll be gone entirely in the next year or two...

Classic news media error, from KATV in Little Rock:

Clinton National Airport cancels flights due to inclement weather

Airlines cancel their own flights; airports and the FAA do not.

And in the event of an airport closure, the airport authority (city/county/airport commission) does that, not the FAA.

I watched Fox Weather during last week's QLCS tornado event and the on camera meteorologist was having his assistant plot winds on the Doppler display and after clicking two pixels miles apart reported that "seeing a red near a green means this is a tight rotation, which we call gate to gate shear."

No, no we don't call it that :) Gate-to-gate shear is the difference between two touching pixels...

We should call this one stupidity in the news.

This is the first paragraph in a story from today's Washington Post. "A mysterious pink glow illuminated the sky above the Australian town of Mildura on Wednesday, leaving residents wondering if they were witnessing an alien invasion, misplaced northern lights or a solar flare."

Yeah, that would truly be amazing if the Northern Lights were seen in Australia, since those are the Southern Lights in the Southern Hemisphere.

(The pink glow was caused by red LED lights at a medical marijuana farm. The lights were reflecting off of low clouds.)

In a recent Fox Weather online article about NWS Glasgow's upper air balloon encountering a supercell and going for a looping ride. we find this jewel:

"Data from the balloon's onboard anemometer showed a radical wind shift..."

In a recent Fox Weather online article about NWS Glasgow's upper air balloon encountering a supercell and going for a looping ride. we find this jewel:

"Data from the balloon's onboard anemometer showed a radical wind shift..."

Accuweather rep: "Man...why didn't we think of strapping an entire ASOS station (with mast) to a balloon and flying it?"

Don't forget the Qatar tornadoes that occured back on November 2016, they were called as "gustnado" despite of the dust swirl/dust tube being connected to the cloud base

All of this virtue signaling is fun but there are plenty in this group who keep mischaracterizing tornadoes. It isn't a "landspout," regardless of its appearance, if it comes from a supercell.

And, a landspout is a tornado. It isn't another type of storm.

When the rotation is connected to the gust front, it's considered a gustnado. That's what their meteorological agency said.

20221220_212025.jpg
I don't think they can be called as gustnado since this photo shows a funnel cloud associated with one of the dust swirl (it is likely that there is another funnel cloud associated with the other dust swirl)

I don't recall the radar data from this event, but my note was that when the Qatar meteorological agency says they were gustnadoes, we probably can't get upset at the media for using that term.

This is one of those times when the news outlet is wrong, you can see an obvious funnel and likely some connection to the cloud base on these two dust swirls

One of the worst/best terminologies I ever heard approximately 25years ago, and still sticks in my head today, was from a TV weather anchor out of Baltimore Maryland(WJZTV), where he called a mix of Snow and Rain, "SNAIN". (This was my "Titanic" moment -- "I'll never let go Jack" - - of that terrible, but hilarious description.)

One of the worst/best terminologies I ever heard approximately 25years ago, and still sticks in my head today, was from a TV weather anchor out of Baltimore Maryland(WJZTV), where he called a mix of Snow and Rain, "SNAIN". (This was my "Titanic" moment -- "I'll never let go Jack" - - of that terrible, but hilarious description.)
Snain is now kind of mainstream... It sounds cool to me... The wonderful Kingdom of Neologisms... ;) Yes I know Jason, I'm playing devil's advocate...

Last edited:
Pierre,

hah, that's ok, I believe I created the word Comfortability and its now in the Urban dictionary. ;) Not everything has to be absolute, you play to your audience as well.

what do you want to bet, in a room filled with two groups, NWS Operational forecasters Vs. AMS certified (News casters) and someone said its "Snaining" outside.. I would guess that half of the room would Facepalm, while the other half would giggle and say, Oh I bet my ratings would go up when I started using colorful descriptions!! lol

Pierre,

hah, that's ok, I believe I created the word Comfortability and its now in the Urban dictionary. ;) Not everything has to be absolute, you play to your audience as well.

what do you want to bet, in a room filled with two groups, NWS Operational forecasters Vs. AMS certified (News casters) and someone said its "Snaining" outside.. I would guess that half of the room would Facepalm, while the other half would giggle and say, Oh I bet my ratings would go up when I started using colorful descriptions!! lol
Well, well, well... I guess you are absolutely right, Jason... but the devil is in the details: IMHO "snain" is OK but "snaining" is highly ridiculous! Oh... BTW... two days ago, it was snaining in my area... 🤣

Back