• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Passing of ST's Owner Mark Blue

Jesse Risley

Staff member
Hi all,

It is with deep sorrow that the staff has to announce that Mark Blue, who owned and operated Stormtrack for the past few years, passed away due to complications from cancer on Saturday, September 9, 2023. Mark's wife Jane shared the news this weekend on social media. Many of you may have also seen the announcement posted when you logged in today.

We will pass along any details regarding memorial services or wishes once those are made known if applicable. The staff wanted to start a thread in the event that anyone wanted to share condolences, stories, etc.

The site is still up and functioning and the staff will continue to work to make it a viable experience for our end-users. We don't have any other details regarding future site plans, ownership, etc. as of this writing. Stormtrack continues to exist because Mark made the effort to take on ownership responsibilities when the torch was passed on yet again several years back. We are grateful for both Mark's investment and his guidance in keeping this longtime digital project going, as ST has a rich history since 1977 evolving from a print endeavor into the digital realm.

376781695_7354759627886471_530591996820017235_n.jpg

Last edited:
Sad to hear this news. Staff - Please DM if I can do anything to help keep this valuable resource going.

I'm deeply saddened to hear of Mark's passing. But also relieved that he is no longer suffering, as his cancer battle was prolonged and intense. He is now forever chasing on the Greatest and Highest of Plains. Mark was always someone I had utmost respect for, and I literally don't know anyone that ever had an issue with him; a true rarity in this at times contentious community.

After we grieve and pay our respects, definitely want to key in to the conversation about what it will take to keep the torch burning. That will be a process that will take some time, but I think the best way we can honor Mark's memory is to keep ST alive.

Condolences to Jane and the rest of his family.

Rest in peace, Mark. He and Steve Miller were kind enough to mentor me (including admonishment when I needed it) as I was getting connected with the larger chasing community. Mark was the one who offered me a staff position here on ST, and I hope I'm able to do his memory service as we keep the legacy of ST going forward.

IT really, really sucks for Mark’s family. They’re the ones bearing the brunt of this. I didn’t think it was going well a couple of weeks ago when a PM received no response. If anyone has memorial details, please share. My thoughts are with his family.

I am very saddened to hear this news. This is a great loss for the community. Mark was a humble leader and selflessly put immense amounts of time and effort into Stormtrack over the past decade, all quietly behind the scenes. My condolences to his family and friends, they will be in my prayers.

I wasn't aware of Mark's battle with cancer, so when I read the notice just a few mins ago, it was a punch in the gut. His service to this site will undoubtedly carry a small piece of his legacy forward, for countless present and future chasers to admire. My heart goes out to Mark's family and friends!

From Mark's wife Jane:

A Celebration of Life Open House will be held on Friday, September 15th at the Tallyn’s Reach Clubhouse, 24900 E Park Crescent Drive, Aurora, CO 80016.

Visitors are welcome to stop by anytime from 2pm to 5pm. An informal prayer and memory sharing time will begin around 3pm.

Flowers may be delivered to the Blue residence at 25191 E Ottawa Drive, Aurora, 80016. For additional information or directions please call (303) 564-1946.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in Mark’s name to the Denver Dumb Friends League or American Cancer Society.

I am so sorry to hear this news. Words are never adequate in situations like this, so I will just admit that I don’t know what to say, except that I will pray for him and his family.

I feel bad to hear about anyone suffering a tragedy like this. But although I did not know Mark personally at all, it somehow seems worse when it is one of our own. Knowing how much we all love chasing, it is easy to imagine someone with a thirst for life and adventure, and such a person should not die this soon.

I feel guilty because I had gotten upset that he had not responded to some direct messages on site-related matters I was looking for help with. But I had no way of knowing his circumstances. If I had, I would never have bothered him to begin with. It’s still a lesson I won’t forget though - be patient, and give people the benefit of the doubt, because you ne er know what they might be going through.

I love this forum, and I am passionate about it becoming the “one stop shop” for all things chasing. I think niche, curated forums like this are infinitely more valuable than the randomized cesspool of social media. I feel that way about all passions such as ours, not just chasing. For this reason, I hope @Jeff Duda or other admins will keep me in mind if I can be of assistance, up to and potentially including ownership.

A very brief obituary has been posted here. I have asked Mark's wife Jane to provide a more detailed review of Mark's life for posterity's sake, however. She plans to return something to me within a day.

Very sad news, I had no clue as I didn’t know him personally and he kept his suffering private from this forum. My deepest condolences to his family and all who knew him, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Even though I didn’t know Mark he always came across as a friendly, positive, upbeat guy. He was an integral force in maintaining this site and a benefit to the chaser community in general. May he rest in peace, relieved from his suffering. Regarding this site I think it’s a valuable resource and it’s critical to ensure its survival and if funding/ownership issues become necessary to resolve please start a thread at the appropriate time.

My condolences to his wife, friends and family. RIP. I didn't know that he was having serious health issues. It was certainly a lot of work and dedication to keep this site going. Such a contribution to the storm chase community and to those with an interest in weather and storms who stopped by to learn.

It really threw me for a loop when Jane posted of Mark’s passing Saturday night. He was part of my first real chase 6/12/05, and from the get go, it was clear he was honest to goodness good people. I always looked forward to seeing him and Jane at ChaserCon or bumping into them in the field. You could not meet 2 nicer people. It had been several years since I’d seen them and admittedly was unaware of what he was going through, but did not hesitate to attend Mark’s celebration of life today. I count myself as fortunate to of known him. RIP Mark

Very sorry to learn the loss of Mark. He inspired me and many other chasers over the years. My condolences to his family and the storm chasing community. He will be missed.

My condolences to Mark's family and friends.

Hopefully ST can carry on. One of the few avenues for storm chasing that is void of any daily drama.

We are very sad to hear the news of Mark's passing. I know Mark will be missed not only by family but the community here as well.

Back