NW Missouri Lightning

Nothing special, but snapped off a few lightning shots early this morning (7/21/05) at about 3:00 a.m. in NW Missouri. There's also one of the moon over the Missouri River with a 6 sec. exposure that makes it look like the sun during the day.

ltng3.jpg

ltng1.jpg

ltng5.jpg

moon.jpg

Nice shots Mike! I am betting the lighting was a little sporadic with those storms from what I saw. Sometimes you have work with what you have and you did well.

Very Nice. I guess there are still breathtaking shots in the dead of summer.

Man, I would have loved to see that this afternoon to get some relief from this nasty heat! :?

When I first headed up to the north side of town to get clear of the lights, the lightning was going crazy ... but literally as soon as I got the tripod out, it completely died ... almost like it had just been waiting for me to get everything set up. That's when I took the moon shots. Then I noticed another storm further east that started producing more lightning, so I headed up a few miles to get a better position ... it actually had lots of electrical activity and was a great opportunity for some neat shots, but I screwed most of the best ones up by not realizing there was a powerline in the bottom of the frame (it was dark and at a weird angle, so I couldn't see it until I downloaded the photos). So had to do some cropping.

Anyway, thanks for the nice comments. Wish we could see some more.

Oh --- and by the way, it was around 3:00 a.m., and the thermometer in my car was still reading 85 degrees and the humidity was ridiculous. Yuck. I still think it was worth all the sweat and mosquito bites. :)

Back