Number of Posts???

I noticed that the number of posts that a ST'er posts is not there anymore. Is it a glitch, or has it been removed permanently? I think it would be a good thing to remove that so some ST'ers don't get intimidated? Any thoughts?

The moderators have reached a consensus to remove the post count. It doesn't really serve much of a purpose, and there was a concern that some members may worry about (or put too much into) their post count.

I liked it to...but it's gone now. You can still view it by clicking on someones profile, however. What's the deal about being elite from your post counts, or something?

I also side with the moderators, it seemed that there has been an increase in a number of useless posts lately, I have a feeling this may cut back on that. As far as the concern of knowing how often one visits, I think those of us that visit the sight often recognize those who are regulars and even if you cant "who cares" one with 8,000 post might not have any better information then one with 20.

Originally posted by rdewey
I liked it... It gave me a rough estimate of how often someone visits the forums. I think almost everyone here can agree that it wasn't used to be elitist.

Yeah, I didn't see a problem with it... Also, it doesn't make any sense on why it was chosen to not display on it on the actual posts, but if you look at the memberlist or profiles - it's still there.

Once again, if there is a problem with useless posts - just get rid of them :wink:

It doesn't really matter what a persons post count is, it's about how much they contribute to this forum (forecasting, reports, techniques, etc)...

Originally posted by nickgrillo+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nickgrillo)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-rdewey
I liked it... It gave me a rough estimate of how often someone visits the forums. I think almost everyone here can agree that it wasn't used to be elitist.

Yeah, I didn't see a problem with it... Also, it doesn't make any sense on why it was chosen to not display on it on the actual posts, but if you look at the memberlist or profiles - it's still there.

Once again, if there is a problem with useless posts - just get rid of them :wink:

It doesn't really matter what a persons post count is, it's about how much they contribute to this forum (forecasting, reports, techniques, etc)...[/b]

Exactly...

Anyway, I HIGHLY doubt that it will cut back on "useless" posts. I often check my post ratio to make sure it's within the ST guidelines, and I have a pretty good ratio (as does Nick and Jeff), and we have easily over 2,000 posts here, many of which aren't "useless". Given that, I don't believe it will cut back on useless posts.

Originally posted by rdewey+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rdewey)</div>
Originally posted by nickgrillo@
<!--QuoteBegin-rdewey

It doesn't really matter what a persons post count is, it's about how much they contribute to this forum (forecasting, reports, techniques, etc)...

Exactly...

Anyway, I HIGHLY doubt that it will cut back on "useless" posts. I often check my post ratio to make sure it's within the ST guidelines, and I have a pretty good ratio (as does Nick and Jeff), and we have easily over 2,000 posts here, many of which aren't "useless". Given that, I don't believe it will cut back on useless posts.[/b]

Completely agreed...

There is absolutely no reason on why it would cut back on stupid posts, as they are gonna be posted anyways. Go take a look at all the WX-Group "mailing list" type things, there is plenty of dumb stuff going on - and there is no such thing as a "post count"...

Originally posted by Andrew Khan
I personally really wish it was back..just because it's been around for a while.

It doesn't matter either way, it's just that the arguments for taking it away are fairly slim - as noted by the lack of discussion/one-liners. As the saying goes; if it's not broken, then don't fix it.

As Glen said though, it is less clutter, and you can still check post counts by clicking on the name.

I liked it because I enjoy stats anyway, but it's no real loss because the posts you read still have a name attached. The names you start recognizing are the ones with the highest number of posts. With or without the post count, the most active people will still be easy to spot.

Also interesting to note that, while perusing the other replies in this thread, the two individuals who are compaigning for the post count display were at the top of the post list :wink:

:wink:

As for "less clutter" - it won't solve much of that... There is still gonna be dumb "one-liner" posts or useless posters. It can't be solved until you simply put a stop to THAT.

Personally, I don't care - I'm just sayin'...

Originally posted by Justin Walker
I noticed that the number of posts that a ST'er posts is not there anymore. Is it a glitch, or has it been removed permanently? I think it would be a good thing to remove that so some ST'ers don't get intimidated? Any thoughts?

At some point it must have come back, since I still see it. I'm convinced that if it were possible to get rid of the count, it would eliminate the competition to post more.

And, now that I've fallen to 78th place in this competition...I'm going to have a hard time catching up.

Back