Now, that's a dust devil ...

That was crazy, I saw one of those before, albeit much weaker, on a hot day in Ft. Stewart, GA. It was quite high, but still weak. It rolled across a hot expanse of black top on a low humidity day. I actually accidentally walked through it because it had formed behind and to the left of me. The wind inside the weak funnel was much stronger than the sustained wind at the time which was only 10-15 mph. I would guess 30-35 or higher.

The vortex in that video was much stronger, I would say low end F0.

Yes, that video is a classic!

I don't understand why people would say "dust devils" are harmless. Not really. I heard of a few destroying cars... most recently in Indiana.

..Nick..

Holy sh!t that is one crazy dust devil! That one is easily compared to a F0 tornado.

I've only seen one fair sized DD... it was a few years back, we were camping at Pinery Park on Lake Huron... well we were at the beach, I see this big swirl of dust on the beach parking lot, probably about 4 feet wide, and about 8 feet tall. Well it seemed to have dispeared once it reached the end of the parking lot, but the parking lot is on a steep hill. All of a sudden, my sister is struggling to hold down our chairs, so I run over, the wind was really strong, it was almost difficult to hold the umbrella. Then everything just went dead calm. It was the best DD experience I ever had so far.

That should be on CNN. That is totally wild. Is it recent?
:shock: :lol: :shock: :lol:

Then again, Stormtrack is better than CNN, :wink:

Jared

Not recent. This was posted back in Feb or March I think.. I don't recall if it made CNN or not. This is one of the craziest DD video's I've ever seen!!

You guys need to come out to west Texas. We regularly have dust devils out here that have put many tornadoes I have seen to shame!

I seem to recall Howie Bluestein at the convention comparing tornadoes and dustdevils that although the circulation was smaller and weaker, the vorticity was much the same. I would have to go back and look at the video for the direct quote.

First time for me, and I must say, it's pretty damn awesome. I'd watch soccer more often if I knew it was gonna be that interesting.

I wacht italian soccer only when a blizzard or the deep frost hit northern Italy ...

4fc0af4e9da5a17590e0785ca58dec96.jpg9c94723c19188eaa8cf3badcc97a4735.jpg

731de4a2f9a85b4803d88c8b17d25609.jpgc7d5c0ff39781579327e35fd7b418eb4.jpg

7ba378a4367f396be6761c58e96d4f9d.jpg

I'm a basketball addict :D

was that that just me or did i hear one of those kids go"Ahhh Godzilla" :wink:

Originally posted by Scott Freeman
was that that just me or did i hear one of those kids go\"Ahhh Godzilla\" :wink:

No-no-no...it's "Gojira." :p

That dust devil is amazing. :shock: What were the wind speeds in it, I wonder?

Back