NOW: New York Storms

Wow. That's all I can say about this storm today.

Winds: Albany, NY and most areas below 1000 feet have a light wind under 5 MPH. Once you go above 1000 feet, the winds pick up in a big way. Bennington, VT (just east of Albany by about 40 miles) recorded 62 MPH winds this morning. MOST areas in New York City, Long Island and NJ have seen wind gusts of 45 to as high as 68 MPH (Bronx, NY). There are numerous reports of trees and wires down, trucks and buses blown over on the major bridges into New York City and many skyscrapers in Manhattan with the windows blown out by non-thunderstorm winds. Gusty winds are common in the winter and spring but not of this magnitude.

Rain: So far over 1" of rain since midnight. With lots of ice from last night and heavy snowmelt, low level and poor drainage flooding is occurring across the area. Some basement pumpouts are occurring as well. Rivers and streams upstate and in New England are also starting to flood.

Temps: I think we scoured out the cold air in a big way. At 11pm last night we were seeing moderate freezing rain and significant icing.

11pm temperature last night: 32
9am this morning: 37
10am this morning: 47
11am this morning: 53

EDIT: The weather changes continue. 2:00PM: FROPA with temp. drop to 38 degrees. Wet snow starting to fall. Precip: 1.20"

I'm a fan of the wind myself. This fall was absolutely incredible for us... We usually get a good "Witch of November" every other year that produces damaging winds. This year alone we had 3 or 4 (I can't remember them all). We lost several trees and a few homes were damaged. It's not that these systems were incredibly deep, but the rate at which they deepend and the pressure gradient played a big role.

Driving around in the vicinity of middle Fairfield County, CT there are spotty power outages and lots of localized flooding ... both on properties and along roadways ...

I've only seen one tree ripped out from its roots ... other than that there have a multitude of trees down that shows signs of rotting from disease (hallowed out trunks) in addition to a lot of small branches and limbs along roadways ...

In my opinion this storm was worse than the one two days ago, but surprisingly the maximum gust is less (108 mph) in regards to observed 140 mph gusts at the top of Mt. Washington

Originally posted by Benjamin Sipprell
Driving around in the vicinity of middle Fairfield County, CT there are spotty power outages and lots of localized flooding ... both on properties and along roadways ...

I've only seen one tree ripped out from its roots ... other than that there have a multitude of trees down that shows signs of rotting from disease (hallowed out trunks) in addition to a lot of small branches and limbs along roadways ...

In my opinion this storm was worse than the one two days ago, but surprisingly the maximum gust is less (108 mph) in regards to observed 140 mph gusts at the top of Mt. Washington

Mount Washington had an epic day on Monday. Their average for the whole day was over 100mph, and the peak was 142. I wouldn't discount today's storm though. The strongest winds on Mount Washington come as the high is building in. That's why they had their strongest winds on Monday, not Sunday. Watch their website this evening as the storm pulls away.

I actually have a short clip of video from the crew sliding around on the deck in 120mph winds. PM if you want me to email it to you.

As for my house...I had gusts to 37mph, same as Sunday. More trees down, and we were still cleaning up from the first storm. Also hit a high of 61 degrees.

Wow. Larchmont, NY recorded a gust of 70mph. That was right in the 15 minute period that I recorded my peak gust.

Back