New model forecast site

Jeff Duda

site owner, PhD
Staff member
Site owner
Supporter
http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~jdduda/forecast/forecast.html

I'm pleased to announce that the website I have been working on is progressing nicely. While there are many sites that provide model forecast graphics (and there is technically nothing new here on the model front), not every site shows them in ways favorable for chase forecasting. To that end, I have taken 4 km NAM CONUS nest data and made a series of forecast plots specific for those looking to make a chase forecast. Those graphics can be found on the bottom half of the page linked above.

You'll notice the top half of the page is for GFS time-lagged ensemble products. While you can view dProg/dt graphics on other sites (like twisterdata), what I've done here is to combine all of those into one product valid at each time. Therefore, each GFS control run is effectively an ensemble member in which different members are given by other GFS control runs initialized at different times. This will give an idea of how stable a given forecast is for the GFS. Due to computational limitations, there have been problems getting the GFS TLE plots to be stable and available at regular intervals. Therefore, this part of the page will continue to undergo significant changes as I search for a series of plots that is computationally feasible. Most likely, these products will focus less on specific severe weather forecasting and more on general synoptic and mesoscale forecasting (still useful for making a chase forecast, however).

I welcome all sorts of comments, critiques, and/or suggestions. Is there a product you'd like to see that isn't there? Is there a product you don't find useful? How are the color schemes? Do the plots with a lot of fields in them clutter the map? Things like that.

ADDED 2/9/2013: see page 2 for update information on GFS TLE products.
ADDED 2/14/2013: Post #18 contains an update.

Last edited by a moderator:
These plots are great, Jeff. I love having lapse rates and cap index on there. The central US sector and severe parameters will be great for chase forecasting. I like the idea of being able to see two similar parameters at once, but the shaded plots with contours on top such as the SB/MLCAPE and lapse rates on the 4km plots can be a little hard to discern when the contours get jumbled up. Maybe colored hatching instead of contours? Look forward to using this during the spring.

Nice to see loops working on the iPad! Awesome...

One note : it says the 18Z GFS is in, but that's not possible (and it shows 12z maps)

Any thought to adding HRRR or RAP?

Last edited:
I like the idea of being able to see two similar parameters at once, but the shaded plots with contours on top such as the SB/MLCAPE and lapse rates on the 4km plots can be a little hard to discern when the contours get jumbled up. Maybe colored hatching instead of contours? Look forward to using this during the spring.

I will work on some things to try to alleviate that. Check in every few days to see any changes I've made. Let me know when you see something that's easier to look at.

One note : it says the 18Z GFS is in, but that's not possible (and it shows 12z maps)

Should be fixed now. Just bad/incomplete PHP programming on my part.

rdale said:
Any thought to adding HRRR or RAP?

No, for two reasons.
1) Since I personally think the plots on the ESRL sites are already very good and provide pretty much all relevant information for chase forecasting, I don't think I could really add anything to improve what's already being done there.
2) Computational limitations.

I pushed too hard :) 18Z NAM is plotted, but timestamp still says 12Z. Not a big deal. Love the site!

I pushed too hard :) 18Z NAM is plotted, but timestamp still says 12Z. Not a big deal. Love the site!

But the update had begun (check earlier forecast hours). That's the best I can do, really.

I may have stated it wrong.

Right now I see maps from the 18z nam on your page. But the description on the page itself says it is using the 12z nam.

Pretty cool! Adding it to my weather favorites folder in my chase laptop!

Thanks for doing it!

Tim

Jeff, this is great! I've just had a chance to play around with it, and I know that you're still refining it, but I like it. Hats off to you for this major undertaking, and what promises to be a valuable and practical addition to free online forecasting resources.

The probabilistic maps are cool. I'm not certain how they're constructed, but going by the fact that I've only seen them in the SREF site, I'm guessing that they're the result of averaging out various forecast models--i.e. crunching the spaghetti ensemble. Is that your source?

I look forward to seeing and using the finished product. Thanks for working on this!

Bookmark added, can't wait to try it out. I take it this is only for the most recent runs?

Yes, but If you want I could probably make some quick changes to be able to view output from a few previous runs (up to one day prior).

Jeff, do you know if your site is using the same software as Earl Barker's model forecast site? Looks somewhat familiar except the actual graphics on your site are superior. Always liked Earl's site, because of the multitide of severe parameters presented, but in some cases was almost impossible to read the graphics. Anyway, looks good and I'll definitely bookmark it.

I don't know what graphics software that site uses, but I'm using GrADS (http://www.iges.org/grads/). A lot of people don't think much of Grads because it doesn't handle heavy computations that well, but it is great for making good looking graphics as long as your data set is well documented.

GFS time-lagged ensemble products are slowly coming back online. I made substantial changes to the standard level plots by including winds. I had to get sort of creative to be able to graphically depict uncertainty in the wind speed and direction while also being able to show uncertainty in the height field at the same time. I think the results look pretty good. I will continue to work on getting other products back online over the next few days/weeks.

Just as a note: I don't intend on making the GFS TLE graphics specific for severe weather. On such a coarse grid, other than CAPE and shear, there isn't much reason to try to get fancy with stuff. Also, computational demand is way higher with these products than with the NAM products.

As before, comments, suggestions, gripes, etc. are welcome.

Back