new mobile wifi hotspot

howdy folks

since last year I am the very happy user of a cradlepoint PHS300 mobile wifi router, used it 2 months last year, with a Alltel data dongle, now
using it also here in Switzerland with a swisscom data USB dongle

but... now, just today I saw on Verizon wireless website that they also offer a mobile wifi router with their data network. it is quite new. and Sprint will have it in June, apparently

see here :

http://b2b.vzw.com/broadband/mobilehotspot.html

http://www.gizmag.com/verizon-wireless-mifi-intelligent-mobile-hotspot-set-for-launch/11701/

do a google search for
MiFi™2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot
to learn more about it.

P.S. French TV TF1 is showing TWISTER the movie right now this afternoon ;-)

P.S.2 :

I also see on the Verizon website that there is a 5GB cap for 59.99 $ wireless data .
for market comparision : here in Switzerland, Swisscom used to also offer 5GB for 79 swiss francs, about 60-65 $ depending on exchagne rage. but just recently they went really cool : cost is down to 59.- instead of 79 francs , and there is no more 5GB cap, it is truely unlimited ! however there is still one brake : if you do more than 10GB then the connection SPEED is reduced : for the rest of the month you won't have the fast 3G / HSPA anymore but your speed will be limited to GPRS speed. So they don't cut you off but they just reduce your bandwidth for a few days, till the next month starts. 10 GB is huge.
swisscom competitor Orange mobile offers unlimited data for less, sfr 49.-- but there is a footnote that says :
[1] If your data transfer volume exceeds 5 GB per month, Orange reserves the right to reduce the transfer rate of your Internet service in order to ensure a good quality of service to all customers. of course the market is very competitive and the various offers change on a regular basis.

P.S.3
if I read this correctly , Alltel is offering wireless data for 59.99, same cost as Verizon, but without 5GB cap , correct ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oliver, I also use the Cradlepoint PHS300. Due to the terrible pattern, I have not yet tested it on the Plains but have used it in Virginia on two chases. I have it in combination with a Verizon USB dongle. I bought the Verizon device at full price which enables me to disconnect it at the end of the season. My set-up works flawlessly and I can take the router with me into a restaurant if there is no w-fi. It will work for a couple of hours on a lithium battery. There is that data cap but I don't come anywhere close to that. It could be reached with video uploads, heavy streaming on multiple days.

Bill Hark

Its says these routers work with multiple devices, but do these Verizon branded routers work with other carriers? That is the true power in having one of these. If you are in one network's hole you might be able to connect via another carrier.

I think the verizon router only works with verizon data plan.

cost is only 99.99 with online rebate and 2 year data plan.

269.99 is the cost if you take a month-to-month plan which you can cancel with short notice. This is great for visiting tourists who chase for a month or two. It looks like much money but is cheaper than buying separately a cradlepoint router plus a USB data dongle.. The verizon router has the broadband dongle built in already.

no additionnal USB data card or dongle needed.

the verizon router has a USB port for connecting to PC but I doubt it can be used to hook up other datacards.

so if you already have another data plan and card / dongle , and want mobile wifi, then cradlepoint is still the answer.

Back