New Midwest Storm Next Weekend?

Craig McPeck

I heard the possibilities from my Met tonight. I haven't checked models...but i will trust my Met.

What system are you talking about? There's currently a thread regarding the upper trough and associated surface low forecast to move across Texas and the Gulf coast early to mid next week, but I'm not sure that's the "Midwest" storm you mention. Otherwise, looking at the models, there doesn't appear to be anything more organized than a couple of clipper-type systems moving near the US - Canada border region. There is a good chance of a coastal-type low (weak Nor'easter perhaps ahead of the upper-level trough during the Tues-Thurs timeframe next week), but that wouldn't affect Midwestern states. The GFS is showing another very deep trough cutting-off across the far south-central US (deep Texas) by the end of next week, but that's a very long ways out.

Looks fairly dead/warm for the near future. With the exception of a light snowfall event (dusting to an inch or two) for the Ohio Valley and western Appalachian slopes on Tuesday, which has been showing up consistently during the past few days.

18z GFS has a pretty decent winter storm cranking up late Friday into Saturday moving from the C/S Plains towards the W. Great Lakes area. As always need to monitor run to run consistency. Looks very cold in it's wake...if this does indeed verify. :confused:

18z GFS has a pretty decent winter storm cranking up late Friday into Saturday moving from the C/S Plains towards the W. Great Lakes area. As always need to monitor run to run consistency. Looks very cold in it's wake...if this does indeed verify. :confused:

Yeah. My met just put snow in for next Thursday:eek: :cool:

The GFS now wants to give the Ohio Valley / central Appalachians a nice snow event from Tuesday-Thursday (2 to 6 inches). A good mountain snowfall above 2,000 feet looks more likely. WRF doesn't want to hype this one up too much though. Looks like it will be a short-lived snow cover as the temps want to rise and rains return by the end of the week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Potential for a snow event looking better now, with more models on the bandwagon. Courtesy of a bombing nor'easter. Forecast thread?

Last edited by a moderator:
NAM is looking to nail the same areas that got hit with snow a couple days ago. Hopefully the GFS will continue with a central plains snowstorm after that. Looking at 84 hours out on the eta, we sure could use some cooler air again.

Yeah, this storm is looking to hit virtually the same areas as the last one. Still a ways off, but the models have had a tendency to push systems a bit further west as the zero hour approaches. This one will have a large amount of moisture to work with too.

There's a large chunk of Iowa that has yet to see ANY measurable snow yet this season.

Omaha broke their record for latest measurable snow(still none).

Back