Nebraska Chasers

Leslie Clark

Finally, spring is here and I am eagerly looking forward to the beautiful energetic storms that are soon to come. I live in Minden which is about 20 miles south of Kearney. Just wanted to let all you chasers that will soon be in my neck of the woods know that if you need a place to stop (wireless internet, chase planning, vehicle damage, etc..) just give me a shout. Also, anyone willing to take a newbie out and show them the ropes as there good deed this year, I am ready to go. Good luck to everyone hitting the road and be safe!!! :p

Nowcasting??

Hey now that is more like it!! :lol: With SPC predicting a SLIGHT RISK extending thru the Midwest for Tuesday, including SE Nebraska, I'm anticipating some storm action to be coming into our area of the Great Plains.

I'm willing enough to do some NOWCASTING for some folks chasing in the KS, NE area. I have DSL Internet connection, STORM PREDATOR radar tracking and SWIFT WX PROFESSIONAL software to keep track of the radar sweeps, storm/tornado warnings and such.

I've had experience in NOWCASTING last year during the frantic May tornado season. I've had one storm chaser that had he minded my directions and urging, he would've had a field day in tracking at least 6-9 tornadoes in the Concordia KS area. And I was able to direct another storm chaser group to a wall cloud near Wilber, NE.

Send me an email thru Stormtrack if you want to get my phone number. Otherwise I will be "Easy Chair" chasing this storm system from my computer. If it happens to get close enough, I might go out for a chase!!
8) LJK.

I'm hoping that the convective activity will kindly wait until after I get off work at 3:00 so that I have time enough to run home, check a few things, and grab a camera. At this point I'll settle for "chasing" a squall line if that's all we'll get. The only complaint I have about Gage County roads is that they seem to be largely without rock. Just plain ol' dirt for miles around Beatrice (I drove around the other day just to see). That hinders a lot of my options due to the fact that my car probably won't handle mud well. If my brother's ultra-Redneck Mud Truck were up and running I'd steal that from him.

I'mma pass my cell number off to you, Larry. If anything exciting looks to be headed this way after 3:00 (assuming I don't have to work the dreaded mandatory overtime), gimme a ring and we can hook up in Princeton or wherever.

Hey there fellow Nebraska storm fanatics.I am a spotter for Heartland REACT in Omaha.Hope your chase season goes well.Jason

We should start a website for all of us NE chasers for this info...sort of like a mini-stormtrack but more local...we could put contact info on there and basically we would have a network or chasers and nowcasters and such...

Hey all you Nebraska chasers! I live and chase here in SE NE and was wondering if there has ever been a get together in this area? I would like to meet you all sometime and exchange chase storys and anything else that we can think of. Would anyone be interested?

Dennis

Several of us have discussed having a get-together in the past, but nothing ever really came to fruition. I'd certainly be game, but with the season just beginning it might be something to consider for August or September.

Regards,

Mike

Welcome to Kearney, Hail and High Wind Capital of the World!

Sounds like it may get interesting out in our neck of the woods tomorrow. I have a presentation to give at 3:00, but I may need to make it a QUICK one. I may come down sick immediately after finishing! :wink:

Seriously, if you are passing through Kearney, there are several great places for Wi-Fi. The Public Library has wireless. As you come over the viaduct (traveling north after leaving the interstate) the Library is the large building on the east, north of the tracks.

A couple of blocks NE of there is a great espresso shop with bakery & outdoor sitting area (called Barista's Daily Grind). Free wireless. Tip my daughter Jasmin nicely as you get your latté. :p

West on Highway 30 (25th Street) you'll run into the University of Nebraska at Kearney. Wireless is locked down on campus, unless you discover a rogue access point, but the Library has lots of free computers and most buildings have labs that you can just walk in and use.

North end of town next to the Office Max is Pané Bello, a great eatery (sorta like Panera Breads). They have wired network jacks AND wireless connection. If you don't want to get far off the interstate, the numerous hotels on the south end of town are spewing open wireless access. Try the Best Western, if you can't find any others.

If you are hitting Kearney and thirsty after a long chase day, try the Thunderhead Brewery downtown. They make a Dark Wheat that is to die for. Order the Thunderballs and thank me later. No wireless access, but who CARES?

Drop me a message if you will be in town. I'd love to meetcha!

Darren Addy
Jonesin' for the Kearney Chamber of Commerce
Kearney, NE

Re: Welcome to Kearney, Hail and High Wind Capital of the Wo

If you are hitting Kearney and thirsty after a long chase day, try the Thunderhead Brewery downtown. They make a Dark Wheat that is to die for. Order the Thunderballs and thank me later. No wireless access, but who CARES?

And don't forget the Russian Imperial Outmeal Stout (at least at the CC here in GRI) and the Nitro Stout!

But I digress. Preliminary target for tomorrow for me will be McCook, but I won't be able to leave the house until about 4PM. So if it's an early show, someone save a seat for me! :)

Regards,

Mike

Doubt I'll be making out that far west today as I have school until 3:00, but thanks for the wireless tips....I'll get on and post if i happen to able to blast that far west on I-80. Hoping that any organized convection can make it atleast to Lincoln so I can sort of meet it...

Hey Guys,
Just thought I'd chime in about wireless access points in Central NE.

If you're ever passing through Aurora, NE (my hometown) there are three public access points.

1) Love's Travel stops
You can have some Arby's while updating your weather information.

2) Espressions Coffee shop
Location: On the Northwest corner of business district downtown, just three or so blocks west of NE hwy 14 in town.
(recently voted as one of Travelocity's Local Secrets, Big Finds in Nebraska)
Awesome Coffee and sandwiches, open til 7pm... It has a nice atmosphere if you are waiting for storms to develop...

3) Alice M. Farr Library

I feel like I'm advertising but these are very good places to get free internet access and enjoy what Aurora's community has to offer.

Enjoy!

~mh

ps, i'm looking to try out some chasing this summer so if anyone is willing to take an apprentice, let me know!

Back