Monsoon Diary

Since she'd appropriated MY map, and was using it to navigate, all this was all MY fault, natch.

Getting up on the washboardy dirt road past the Indian Ruins and off to Parts Unknown was not Greg's fault whatsoever, that masterpiece was entirely my doing! :p I carry 10 DeLormes with me in my map bag at all times, and the one I needed was my special Indian Lands map...which of course was on my dining room table when I got home LOL. Blonde caffeinated moments notwithstanding, we eventually found our way to the San Carlos Apachelands and when the storms died, stopped at Apache Gold and watched Vanilla Ice impersonations and country music au plethora performed by an unlikely group of band member lookalikes: Wolfman Jack, Vin Diesel, Owen Wilson, Kid Rock and Greg Brady. If they were any funnier I would have passed out on the floor. Then again, what can you expect from a band whose slogan is "Radioactive Country" :p

It looked like Tucson to the Central Deserts lastnight. I caught a nice one in the San Tan mountains SE of Queen Creek. It was sparking pretty good but I got a bit sandblasted. I have some nerdy sand-proof glasses for that. I think I got a decent shot though over the San Tans with green fields in the foreground. Looked almost Plains-like. Perhaps a repeat tonight?

:glasses2:

Visible activity rigth now in the california desert should play out good this weekend for arizona - unfortunately my new motor home wont be ready for 2 more weeks so Ill have to hope for some end of the season activity hopefully
bill

Don't forget to watch for Perseids after the storms have gone to bed for the night.

Susan, I've enjoyed reading your logs and seeing your lightning photos. I haven't chased Arizona monsoons before but might get around to it sometime. Nearest I got to it was taking a float thru the Grand Canyon in early August 1976, and saw a bit of lightning and a couple of great Perseid fireballs.

A massive line of storms in the 55-60 dbz range roared into West Valley of Phoenix after sunset Wednesday. At first I thought that downtown Phoenix was due so went looking for an urban vantage point where I could work with juxtapositions of reflective highrises and cornices from old buildings like the San Carlos Hotel or Westward Ho. Suddenly though, my metro plans were averted as the line of storms took a different track - making a violent sweep through the West Valley and rearranging landscape and washes. The NOAA cracked that a roof had blown into the highway at 67th Ave. Flash floods were running and trees were toppled, even onto the roof of a Channel 3 anchorwoman's home.

I chased it West on I10, in two-handed driving conditions with sand blowing across the road. The sand made a "sshhh" sound as it blasted my vehicle. I made it to Buckeye but then got word that a multicar pileup had just occurred on I10 in Tonopah, the next couple exits down. It was a massive accident that closed both sides of the Phoenix to Los Angeles corridor. 42 were injured, 4 lost their lives. Vehicles, including 16 commercial ones, met with the sandstorm that I was chasing and became entangled in the zero visibility and high winds causing the accident. This morning, cleanup is still going on. Mother nature had dealt a harsh blow.

As well, two fires north of the Valley broke out on mountaintops due to lightning. One threatened a government tower. When I returned home lastnight, the scent of desert fire was in the air. After I had turned around out of the West Valley, I ended up at the Gila River Indian community. There was some beautiful lightning there and I shot it off Maricopa Road in the Central Deserts. The huge complex with constant lightning blew through the area and ended up turning into a massive bomb over Tohono O'odham Indian lands around 10pm. Lightning trackers were showing thousands of strikes near Ajo eminating from the gigantic MCS that looked like a Christmas tree on radar.

Storms are expected again the next couple nights. This morning the AltoCu and the sultry air is no mistake. Lastnight I was hoping for a peek at a Perseid or two, but overcast lingered. Perhaps the High Country would be better hunting for the weekend.

Looks like there is a mesodiscussion in s/central AZ today - any chasers down there checkin it - was some mention of severe in mountains - would that be Prescott area?
bill

Yes Prescott blazed up today (again), as part of a line up in the high country. Prescott to Wickenburg area has been El Dorado for chasing this year.

Chuck, fireballs and the Grand Canyon sound very nice. That's a photo opportunity to be sure.

I just missed a photo op there when a huge orange fireball zipped up from the Casseiopia "W" low over the horizon to a point directly overhead as I was setting up the camera for the next shot -- would have at least had the first part of the trail. This year I saw about 80 meteors from my place in Oregon on the night of the 11th-12th.

Glad you made it out of that sandstorm o.k. Severe weather AND traffic is a bad combo.

thunder and lightening in palm desert and julian with flood watches (1st monsoon activity this yaer in this area - does anyone know what saturday and sunday have instore for so cal?

Central AZ
8/14 ~ 8/16

Last weekend, Lightning Goddess 8) Susan Strom was kind enough to lead this noob lightning chaser on several great chases.

Saturday we roamed North, in search of elevation and cool air. There was tantalising development along the way, and it appeared that a monster TS was hovering over the Flagstaff area. Arriving in Sedona around 6, we decided to hoof up Airport Mesa and have a look around. We encountered a pretty sunset...and strange 'energy vorticies' that seemed to 'channel' the lightning elsewhere. The whole area died off after sunset Bad lightning vibes, I guess. ;)

Sunday was much more productive. Susan unerringly led us to a fantastic site overlooking a freeway. We watched as dozens of CG blasted a small range a few miles away. As usual, the lightning was not entirely predictable; one sector of sky would spark up, then die down as the area of maximum activity shifted capriciously from left to right. Before the same storms chased us away, we both got some good shots, and I look forward to seeing our results.

We chased yet again Monday and this time things were popping right over metro Phx. She found a neat little canyon road that led to a fantastic overlook of the valley. The active storms were somewhat distant, but still put on a good show over the glimmering city. Very nice.

I want to thank Susan for sharing her wisdom and experience, and showing me some very pretty scenery.

-Greg

great to hear from Arizona on this - next tuesday should bring in another system from what I can see, hope to be in Wickenberg for a few days there - this blue sky out here in CA is most depressing
bill
ps Id kill for a light show like that!

I will be in Phoenix for bus. next week. I arrive on Sunday afternoon, and I am hoping to break away by afternoon so I can taste some of the Monsoon Magic!

Any thoughts on what the 22nd - 24 might hold? Will the monsoon be active?

Things have quieted down recently. My best guess is that late Monday is the earliest you'll see a return of heavy monsoonal flow.

That's not to say you won't see anything!
Less persistant storms will no doubt develop in the afternoon hours and may remain active for a while after sunset. Keep an eye on the Phx. doppler, and be ready to grab the camera and charge off anytime after 6pm or so. You'll need to find a shooting site before the short lived storms start to fade.

Hopefully the Lightning Godess :notworthy: will drop by and share her instincts. She knows SOOO much about Az storms.

-Greg

Back