Monsoon Diary

The Monsoon is a general term for a number of factors (some quite subtle) that combine in varying degrees during the summer season to produce convection. The various factors interact with the geography in different ways, though the mountains in general tend to initiate and focus the convection as you'd expect.

In my (non-professional) observation there are two basic categories: diurnal insolation-driven and disturbance-driven.

In the first, the convection responds mainly to sun heating. It will initiate over the "sky-islands" of Southern Arizona (Catalinas, Santa Ritas, Pinalenos, Huachucas, Chiricahuas, etc.) and on the Mogillon Rim ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogollon_Rim) around noon or a little after. It will then move off the mountains with the mid-level flow and cycle as multi-cell air-mass storms. As sunset approaches the storms tend to clarify and settle enabling those beautiful photo opportunities. Nighttime usually stables out surprisingly fast.

In the second, the multi-cells tend to coalesce into lines and into larger clusters with mesoscale and occasional synoptic scale disturbances. Last night in the Phoenix area was such a case, and you can still see the disturbance in the WV loop approaching Las Vegas this morning. Other than the occasional easterly waves the experts can see coming for a long time, these disturbances seem usually to be generated by the subtle upper thermodynamics of the "Four Corners High" mechanism that characterizes the monsoon flow. The disturbances seem to surprise everybody -- including the NWS. Watch for persistent linear storm formations perpendicular to and traveling with the flow for early warning. These tend to move smartly along, can occur at all times of the day (though nocturnal seems preferred), and are more classically chaseable.

Well, that's the general overview. Where are you traveling to, Cstok? Susan Strom I'm sure can give you some more particular tips on locations, etc.

I will be in Phoenix during that time. I will have a rental car, and will be concluding business anytime around 3 or 4pm each evening, so I should be able to get to where the action is before dark.

Wild wooly desert fun

Lastnight took me to the Ak-Chin Indian Community near Maricopa in the northern Central Deserts. Storms were just fantastic, persisting for hours, putting down CGs all over the area. I shot lightning hitting on the mountain range between Maricopa and Gila Bend and in the open lands where clouds were low and rains were hard in Bapchule.

A chase buddy called while shooting CGs over PHX from a mountain pass and another called later from the West Side going for a storm near Buckeye. I think we formed a large triangle. Severe warnings went up again around 10:15pm, I hit the dust wall on those in the SE Valley along with torrential rain and constant lightning zipping overhead as I made my way north to higher terrain.

I hit extremely heavy flooding on Shea Blvd (Lake Shea!). Shot for awhile up on the McDowell range in north Scottsdale looking at CGs over the spread of the city lights. Activity picked up as yet to the east so for a hawk's eye view, I went to a mountain overlook and this time faced an odd mix of emotions...happiness, excitement, and....primal fear! It's hard to explain the air-ripping sound of CGs a street's width away...but they were hitting so close, zigzagging all over the sky and touching in the immediate vicinity (thwack!! :shock: ). There was nowhere to go...staying in vehicle...what a wild show.

Got home around 2am with fresh rolls of pictures still waiting to be seen...what an awesome night in the Desert Southwest...

Damn Susan sounds like you had a hell of a night!! Please post some pics when you get them developed and scanned!! I am planning on heading to the Glenwood area of NM for a geology/rock collecting trip in the 2nd/3rd week of Aug. I will likely only be able to spend 4-5 days out there but when the sun goes down I plan on heading into Az to get the lightning. I just hope that there isnt a repeat of last year with the storms firing early in the afternoon and going poof when the sun goes down :x Although both my friend and I managed to get a couple decent sunset lightning shots.

Graham Butler
wx5svr
[email protected]

Well, being at work I didn't have nearly the luck Susan did, but a strong storm developed in western Hudspeth County, TX right before sunset yesterday (Tuesday 7/13), and died soon after. However, it would have been a perfect LTG photo op as the light was just perfect.

We did snap some shots with the office cam, but of course couldn't capture the brilliant pink CG and CA's popping out of this thing.

Here's the direct links so you don't have to deal with the stupid scrollbars:
http://www.vtphoto.com/nws/cool%20images/2...dspeth_EPZ2.jpg

http://www.vtphoto.com/nws/cool%20images/2...udspeth_EPZ.JPG

-Mike

Those are nice storms, Mike... I like the "distinctly desert" yucca too, they always look nice in the shots. Good luck everybody with your shots! (PS Graham - rock shops are a weakness of mine. The other day I passed some good looking ones in Holbrook, near Winslow just fyi). Cstok - Phoenix should provide, that time of year. Lots of different areas, huge Valley with many terrain choices. Better on the East side, generally, but Monsoon plays it's own game on the West side too. My fave spots in PHX: Carefree, Cave Creek, Fountain Hills, Apache Junction, Gold Canyon/Peralta, Florence, Queen Creek, New River, McDowell Mountain Range, Saguaro Lake, Four Peaks, Lake Pleasant. All those areas have provided a show for me at one time or another, and commonly get more generous chances.

:hello1:
News flash (lightning smiley)
Monsoon is official in Arizona (and it came in with a bang). Wednesday marked the third day of the needed consecutive 55 degree dewpoints or higher. (Storms up until this point have been considered "pre-monsoon").

Happy hunting, Zonies!

Hello fellow Zonies and Monsoon visitors...

:arrow: Please take a moment to read the article I just added including important information on the borderlands. It is a subject post in itself: Special to ST: Arizona Chasing and Borderland Issues

Best, Susan

Tucson-soon

Looks like a big line has just coalesced SE of Tucson with a likely N/NW motion and decent speed. Should push thru the city and up I-10... but remains to be seen if it maintains the juice to get to PHX and defeat the heat dome. Fingers crossed...

Some nice outflow collisions south of the border right before sunset managed to get a few small, moderately-charged storms to fire up just south of El Paso. Excellent lighting conditions, and optimally-located storms for shooting lightning behind the El Paso skyline from about 8:15-10:00pm.

http://www.vtphoto.com/nws/tmp/ltg20040720.jpg

It is nice to have the moisture back here! Looks like Arizona has had declining activity today, with the exception of a nicely charged cluster between Sells and Eloy.

Your Life A-Z

Hi Monsoon-chasers...

If you happen to live in Phoenix Valley of the Sun, tune in tomorrow to a special (weather-themed!) version of the weekday show "Your Life A-Z" on NewsChannel 3 at 9:00am. Toward the beginning of the hour, host Heidi Foglesong and Chief Meteorologist Royal Norman and myself will be discussing lightning photography in the beautiful Arizona desert (ps - Royal's going to try it himself in Greer!!)

I'll also be sharing about the annual lightning photography show just starting at Boyce Thompson Arboretum, a cooperative park managed by Arizona State Parks, University of Arizona and a private nonprofit corporation. The 300 acre, lush Arboretum is a wonderful way to hike and spend the day (mornings recommended this time of year as the terrain is Upper Sonoran). It is located on Hwy 60 east of the Valley in Superior, AZ. To coincide with the Monsoon, myself and another photographer have covered the Visitors Center Gallery in lightning!! More about the show soon. Check out the link here as well at: http://ag.arizona.edu/BTA/featuredartist.html

The storm door is supposed to open again for this weekend. Happy hunting!

Cook an egg on this

iCaliente! Today's temp in PHX reached a withering 111 degrees F. Cars work harder and the occasional dropped coin can be found melted into the asphalt. These breaks in the Monsoon are indeed brutal. Fortunately, the storms are predicted to be back in full swing by this weekend. There is nothing better than a steep temperature drop courtesy of Monsoon rain.

Back