• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Mobile Internet Options

In regards to internet connectivity and speed while on the road, I am trying to find the most efficient and cost-effective option when it comes to using a laptop and a cell phone during the chase season. Something that will support Radar software, a cell signal, and GPS while chasing in Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas and the remainder of the Midwest region.
  • Mi-fi/Mobile Hotspot?
  • Cellular Data (Such as the hotspot setting on your iPhone or Android device)?
  • Satellite internet?
  • Other methods?
I have been researching for quite a while, but at the end of the day have realized that I won't really know until I gain more experience out on the plains. I'm asking for advice from a veteran or experienced chaser who knows what they're talking about!

If you are looking for cost effective and good coverage I highly recommend a mobile hot spot such as the Verizon jetpack. You can add an external antenna which will greatly increase coverage (can't do that with most cell phone hot spots). It can also provide WiFi to multiple devices (so you can use WiFi on your cell phone to text or make calls). Satalite is more expensive and is one way (down) only. Carrier choice is imprtant. In the southern plains Verizon has the best coverage with AT&T a close second. The other carriers have very poor coverage outside major metro areas. I defer to others who chase other areas.

One other thought - month to month pre pay plans are great if you are cheap like me and don't want to pay Verizon or AT&T rates all year.

Dear Sir or Chasers

OK so I chase for a Major News Station in DFW and Connection is very very Important when your in the field so for me the decision is clear... It's Verizon !!!!!!!! They have GREAT GREAT Coverage and you can get a External antenna for it. Look up the Chaser Con for 2018 and there is a guy at the beginning of the program on that Sat morning I believe that talks about this and what antenna to get or I can post it on here later on when I find the info at home. ON second thought I am going to post the link to chaser con 2018 right now on here. This gentleman's name is James Breitenbach and he can tell you more about the mobile data plans that are out there !!!!!!!! BUT I Highly Recommend the Verizon post paid account !!!!!!!! Just tell them that you wish to be able to use it month to month and turn it on when you want and turn it OFF when you want and this is VERY VERY IMPORTANT !!!!!!!! DO NOT CALL IN TO VERIZON !!!!!!!! they are NOT very helpful !!!!! Go into the store that is near you and get them to set you up on a plan using the Verizon Jet packs !!!!!!!!!!!! that is the way that I do it every season from March to June !!!!!!!!. OK here is the link to Chaser Con 2018 Enjoy and good luck to you guys in the field !!!!! and BE Careful out there !!!!!!.
or just look up Chaser con 2018 Saturday Morning on YouTube. and to the rest of stormtrack........ I know that I haven't been around much sorry about that I have been dealing with some other matters but I am back !!!! and I'll try to be around more often. This is a GREAT Place and I love being a part of this very very much !!!!!!!!!!. OK bye for now !!!!!.

Shawn C.

"FOX 4-WARN SENIOR STORMTRACKER"

"FOX4NEWS.COM"

" FOR NEWS,WEATHER OR SPORTS TUNE IN TO

FOX 4 - THE NEWS STATION"

Antenna adapters/jumpers. TS9 male to SMA female, usually. Sometimes people have antennas with FME female connectors on them, so it would be TS9 male to FME male.

For what it's worth, I stand solidly behind the Wilson 311102 glass-mount 3G/4G antenna for this purpose.

I know I'm late to this thread, but I thought I read somewhere that I can do a prepaid plan with a Jetpack on Verizon? I can't find anything on their website, but has anyone else done this? I switched to T-Mobile last fall and used mobile hotspot on my phone the few days I chased in 2018 and had decent coverage all over. It was slow, but that's probably due to me using a phone and not a Jetpack. Now that I am able to chase a lot this year, I need something faster and more reliable as I am starting streaming this season, but I don't really want to sign a contract and pay year round for something I'll only use in the spring. I'm on a budget and would rather spend money on other, better gear and actually when I am in the field this season.

I have a Jetpack on Verizon prepaid that I only use during chase season (although that is starting to be year round - any slight chance and it seems like I renew). Their website really tries hard to drive you to expensive postpaid plans. I let it lapse for over 6 months one time and they deactivated my account and I could not find data only prepaid BYOD on their website. I had to call, but they took care of me. Another option might be to go in to a store.

I have a Jetpack on Verizon prepaid that I only use during chase season (although that is starting to be year round - any slight chance and it seems like I renew). Their website really tries hard to drive you to expensive postpaid plans. I let it lapse for over 6 months one time and they deactivated my account and I could not find data only prepaid BYOD on their website. I had to call, but they took care of me. Another option might be to go in to a store.
How did you get setup with it? Just walk in the store, purchase the Jetpack and tell them you'd like to start a prepaid Jetpack hotspot plan?

2 years ago I bought the Jetpack online from Verizon and purchased a data only prepaid plan at the same time. I let it lapse over the of season and I tried to do prepaid BYOD, but I could not find it online, so I called them and the reactivated me.

The only issue with using a phone for hotshot is not being able to connect an external antenna (which greatly improves coverage) - although you can use a booster. If I had Verizon or ATT. I would probably use my phone's hotshot and a booster. I have Tmobile (who's coverage is not as good outside of urban areas in the southern plains ), so that is why I went with a Jetpack on Verizon.

I have a complete AT&T WiFi rig with antennas for sale down in marketplace. It's an excellent starter kit.

Don't feel the need to start a new thread, but whats peoples experience with the cricket unlimited plan? Think its around $70 for a month (I am chasing for 2 weeks from New Zealand). Will just be a mobile hotspot so not 100% ideal as I cant have an external antenna but I did use this along with Verizon in 2016, which was a jetpack and antenna, and its seemed to work pretty fine back then.

I just picked up the Verizon Hum for in-vehicle WIFI. It offers unlimited 4G, free roadside assistance, does diagnostics on your vehicle and some other stuff. It costs $25.00 per month for two vehicles. (After my $5.00 discount)

Hoi.
Sprint offers the Sprint Drive, too. I would never use one of these devices. Too much risk involved, and I don't fully trust that your insurance company wouldn't pally-pal around with the cell providers to use the extracted data to charge higher rates for not going 5 under the speed limit and not sitting at stop signs for 20 full seconds.

I know I'm late to this thread, but I thought I read somewhere that I can do a prepaid plan with a Jetpack on Verizon? I can't find anything on their website, but has anyone else done this? I switched to T-Mobile last fall and used mobile hotspot on my phone the few days I chased in 2018 and had decent coverage all over. It was slow, but that's probably due to me using a phone and not a Jetpack. Now that I am able to chase a lot this year, I need something faster and more reliable as I am starting streaming this season, but I don't really want to sign a contract and pay year round for something I'll only use in the spring. I'm on a budget and would rather spend money on other, better gear and actually when I am in the field this season.
This year we bought a new hotspot from Verizon - prepaid...UNLIMITED DATA!!!!! Cost about $75 from memory. Probably have to get it from a real Verizon store....finally - unlimited data!!!!
Verizon Ellipsis® Jetpack® MHS900L - only drawback - no antenna port

Back