Major fires in Texas panhandle

Tuesday Update....

The 2 largest fires are now about 50% contained but some areas are still out of control. Miami is still under evacuation. The weather today will help with cooler temps and low winds of 10-15 but late this evening ans especially tomorrow the winds come screaming back. On wednesday we expect Red Flag conditions again with winds of 30-40 with higher gusts so if we dont get it under control today we may lose total control tomorrow.

A number of firemen have been hurt including 1 critically when his firetruck rolled down an embankment.

Now the bad news. 4 more bodied has been found bringing the death toll to 11. these were found in a burned car north of Miami in a ravene. Tanker planes are making non stop water drops and we have fire crews from all over including a few other states.

One thing nobody is really talking about is this is mostly ranchland for cattle so grazing grass is now gone for some time and many of the cattle in the area died in the fire. The estimate of acttle in the area is 25,000 and the estimate of how many died is anywhere from 10,000 up to 15,000 according to 1 rancher on tv not to mention basic wildlife (deer, rabbits etc..). This is a major Deer hunting area and it will hurt the season badly.

My group was only called out yesterday for a fire on the NE side of Amarillo but we have been told to be ready to respond on wednesday when they expect another very bad day. I already told my boss I may have to leave with little warning time. Next chance of rain is Friday night into the weekend but its a small chance.

After the front came through several hours ago there was the distinctive smell of smoke in Tyler TX.
[/b]

I'm just 40 miles down the road from you. I emptied my rain gauge yesterday morning and saw that the water was BROWN (sort of between tan and brown). I figured that some dust from around here got into it, but thought that there might have been a link with the fires.

Wish I would have taken a pic of it!

Tim

I'm just 40 miles down the road from you. I emptied my rain gauge yesterday morning and saw that the water was BROWN (sort of between tan and brown). I figured that some dust from around here got into it, but thought that there might have been a link with the fires.

Wish I would have taken a pic of it!

Tim
[/b]

Whats a rain gauge??? forgot what they look like. ;)

We have had less than an inch of rain on over 7 months now. And now that the grass is gone we have trully returned to the days of the dustbowl. I have a feeling this spring and summer as the dryline sweps east into oklahoma chasing will be difficult due to the brown haze of dirt in the air from the panhandle. Sortof like back in 1998 when we had the Mexican fire haze covering Texas and oklahoma. Couldnt see a supercell 30 miles away!!

The charred bodies of four oilfield workers were found a short distance from their car. A cow that had tried to push through a barbed wire fence was discovered burned alive. And 10,000 other cattle and horses were feared dead across the smoking landscape.

At least 11 people have died and 1,900 others have been forced to evacuate since the weekend. The fires, propelled by winds as high as 55 mph, have raced across more than 1,000 square miles.[/b]

http://kcbd.com/Global/story.asp?S=4633240

You would figure that with the fire still burning out of control and the damage to all the areas involved including the loss of human life that the governor would call out for more help. Using the National Guard and other government resources is within the power of the Governor of Texas.
Here in southern OK we have been dealing with our own fire and I know what kind of toll it has taken on the volunteers and equipment.
I just can't imagine what the firefighters in Texas must be going through and feeling at this point.
I hope they can get it under control soon.

Thats a very sad thing about this fire in that it's having a tremendous toll on humans (physically,financially, and emotionally) and animals alike. Prairie wildfires are just as much a part of nature as forest fires, but any fire that exists in the conditions that setup Sunday were bound to be historical and tragic. This fire will probably have a lasting effect into spring as bare charred ground heats up loads quicker than one that has vegetation covering it. The burn area is in that famous tornado alley zone of the TX Panhandle too...an area which I love to chase and enjoy the scenery/wildlife too. My prayers are with those in the TX Panhandle dealing with this tragic loss.

You would figure that with the fire still burning out of control and the damage to all the areas involved including the loss of human life that the governor would call out for more help. Using the National Guard and other government resources is within the power of the Governor of Texas.
Here in southern OK we have been dealing with our own fire and I know what kind of toll it has taken on the volunteers and equipment.
I just can't imagine what the firefighters in Texas must be going through and feeling at this point.
I hope they can get it under control soon.
[/b]

Actually we have tons of help coming in. Amarillo is now a staging area for 350 firemen and we now have 26 air tankers dropping water and retardent thanks to the forest service. No national guard yet but we think we are prepared for today and have crews relieving those volunteer crews who have gone for days without much of a break. DPS has brought in extra officers to help traffic control in the area also. Utilities are also bringing in crews from other states to help get power restored.

What we really need is rain which we actually have a shot at this weekend.

The Miami (Roberts county) fire has jumped the Canadian river and is now once again out of control and heading NE.

The Ochiltree County Sheriff's Office has issued evacuation warnings to residents in the county after the Texas Department of Public Safety shutdown U.S Highway 83 between Perryton and Canadian when a grass fire moving from Roberts County jumped the Canadian River. The towns of Lipscomb, Darrouzette, Follett are under evacuation warnings.

This fire will probably have a lasting effect into spring as bare charred ground heats up loads quicker than one that has vegetation covering it. The burn area is in that famous tornado alley zone of the TX Panhandle too...an area which I love to chase and enjoy the scenery/wildlife too. My prayers are with those in the TX Panhandle dealing with this tragic loss.
[/b]

Take the loss of human life, property, and all those animals out of the equation and these wildfires aren't that bad. Dry grass burns fast and it doesn't get very hot, nothing like a forest fire. With a little rain the burn areas will bloom and re-grow rapidly. The fire also helps to eliminate many of the non native species. I do some control burns in Vermont every spring and its amazing how fast the grass comes back. One rain storm and its green again.

Forest fires are a different story, especially in areas where fires have been suppressed. They burn so hot the soil becomes hydrophobic. Water cannot be easily absorbed and it takes longer for life to return.

Take the loss of human life, property, and all those animals out of the equation and these wildfires aren't that bad. Dry grass burns fast and it doesn't get very hot, nothing like a forest fire. With a little rain the burn areas will bloom and re-grow rapidly. The fire also helps to eliminate many of the non native species. I do some control burns in Vermont every spring and its amazing how fast the grass comes back. One rain storm and its green again.

Forest fires are a different story, especially in areas where fires have been suppressed. They burn so hot the soil becomes hydrophobic. Water cannot be easily absorbed and it takes longer for life to return.
[/b]

Your points are valid...but given the Texas Panhandle may not see the good rains (long term) needed to make the grasses return and rejuvenate; this could be very devastating considering the likely factors of an intense convective cap, certainly blasting sw winds with any passing major cyclone(s), and the threats of additional fires. Sprawling ranchlands were affected and the surviving heads of cattle will find available grasses lean or non-existent. I have a real worry for the ranchers in the Texas Panhandle as this situation goes from bad to worse. You just can't take out the loss of life, property, livestock, crops, and wildlife. All have been impacted and will continue to struggle with this tremendous loss. At least the mid range models are showing some rainfall (and snowfall) for the area. Just hope its a nice even upslope dousing that they get out there.

Just the chaser in my I guess, but I just visualized this huge BLACK tornado going across that burned land ingesting all that soot and charred materials! Man, could you imagine how stunning that would be?

Back