Lurkers, Target Area, memberships, and Stormtrack

I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this, but in my opinion, the moderators could be a little more stringent and more vigilant in handling bad posts. Case in point is the fact that there are currently two NOW threads for today's event, and both have been around for over an hour now.

Interesting that many of the NOW posts (that we need to proect from the "general public") consists of:

"Sirens going off"
"NWS issued a tornado warning"
"GR3 shows 2 inch hail"

Good thing we aren't letting that highly-sensitive, confidential meteorological insight out to the public ;)

I dunno whats worse, That or that there is a Kevin Martin icon in Marion County. I wonder if its real icon or false position updates from SO Cal. Maybe some false reports coming next??

Another newbie here who has registered to learn and follow, not to poach. These forums provide a valuable service to people like me who have loved and appreciated weather their entire lives but have never had the opportunity for one reason or another to take up chasing on any serious level. I echo the sentiments posted by many other "lurkers" in that I greatly respect the knowledge base the more experienced chasers have and hope that some day I can maybe contribute to that, though that day is far away. Reading and following your chase forecasts and stories gives me a greater respect for what you do making me less likely, in all honesty, to go and try what you do without the proper preparation. I'll enjoy the vicarious thrill that you share and certainly hope to absorb as much as I can, but it'd be a shame to go beyond the safeties already in place.

I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this, but in my opinion, the moderators could be a little more stringent and more vigilant in handling bad posts. Case in point is the fact that there are currently two NOW threads for today's event, and both have been around for over an hour now.

There's also the fact that some of the mods are working or chasing the event. We do go through the threads, but it is often after the fact. You can almost count on this if it's an event occurring in TX/KS/OK. If it's anywhere else, mods will probably pop in and out during the course of the day.

Most of the posts in NOW threads nowadays remind me of stuff I'd see in an IRC room. FWIW, we do have an AJAX chatroom for the board. It even has separate channels for the different sections of the forum.

I just saw this thread and thought I would share my 2 cents.

First off I am really disappointed to read some of the things in this thread. Is this a place where you have to be a member of an exclusive club to feel welcome? It's like the "in crowd" has gotten out their pitch forks and torches and are intent upon burning someone at the stake.

I came here to learn so when I see storms I will know a little more about what is happening. I will never chase nor would I leach off of someone. Anyone with radar and SPC info could get to those areas when risk goes moderate or high anyway. I think it is awfully interesting that some seem to think this site has to the power to send out hundreds of idiot storm chasers looking to leach onto their backs!! As many folks who have blogs and websites and such the leaches, as you call them, are going to find their way to these storms anyway even if this was their primary source for info.

The main reason I visit this site is to read the forcasts and nowcasts in real time. I compare my thoughts and views on current storms and situations in real time with the models and current observations. If I am locked out of those threads in real time there is not much reason for me to view them. Forcasts and models ebb and flow with time and trying to compare and contrast comments a week later would be a nightmare. Nearly impossible for amatures like me.

If you guys want an exclusive club of chasers only, that's fine, this is your site. Just let me know so I can move along. I don't want to be somewhere I am not welcome. I would however suggest that you lock the whole site down and make it invitation only at that point. The best way to learn is by doing and the only way to do is to be able to read and learn from those threads in real time. I've done and posted some things on here that were not proper, I was corrected and have not done those things again. Folks act like I am some kind of idiot trying to ruin their life. Not so, I say.

Andrew, nobody is holding a pitch fork wanting to burn someone at the stake. I welcome new members including you and I have no problem with new members posting in the NOW threads. As for a seperate NOW thread forum for chasers your right Andrew it would not work. I feel like I was complaining so I am going to step out of this thread.

Well I have been a member for some time, and almost every time I try to post in the forecast or now cast threads I get spanked. I have learned the hard way not to post. I have just given up there. I may post in post storm discussions, general stuff, or equipment related areas. I mean I JUST GAVE UP. Too many rules and mother may I's.

As for locking up the forecast and nowcast forum, I think we are getting a little too exclusive. Sounds to me like some folks heads are getting too big for their hats. This used to be a small open and inclusive community. So its getting bigger. So the the chaser convergences are getting more crowded. Get used to it. Besides it goes in cycles. When gas hits $5 a gallon, you will have plenty of elbow room.

I think there has to be a little bit of a balance.. I have been chasing for almost 9 years, primarily in the Illinois, indiana, Iowa area... So I`m not a noob to storm structure, positioning myself etc.. At the same time, I did not go to school for meteorology, and while I continue to learn on my own about models and forecasting and the like, I don't feel like my experties in these areas line up anywhere near in comparison to the big boys on here. So I don't feel confident posting my 2 cents in forecast or NOW threads. However I do want to contribute to the community, and as soon as I have a decent chase will be posting chase logs....

The stricter the threads are modded the more on topic they will be, but the more exclusive the people who contribute will be as well. I realize there are alot of idiots who don't know what they are doing who get in the way, but there are a few of us who appreciate the science and continue to learn....

Interesting that many of the NOW posts (that we need to proect from the "general public") consists of:

"Sirens going off"
"NWS issued a tornado warning"
"GR3 shows 2 inch hail"

Good thing we aren't letting that highly-sensitive, confidential meteorological insight out to the public ;)

How about folks posting links to the streaming sites. Rob, I think you've done this, but I wonder if it's really necessary. But I'm not really sure...the now threads don't interest me that much; FCST & REPORTS are the better of the three.

It pains me to read what some of the newer members of the forum are writing in this thread based on the recent changes that have been made. If it makes you feel better I don't hold anything against newer members and welcome each of you to the forum. I've never been spanked for a post in the forecast section, but I wordsmith what I write to death to avoid that at all costs. Perhaps I've just been lucky though!

Just keep plugging away if you're new to chasing and don't hold back if you feel you have something important to add to a thread. I spend a lot of time in the other sections of the board as there is plenty to learn and glean from in the threads outside of the "Forecast" area.

For me as a newbie the information ties into my membership in CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) and as a weather hobbyist. I don't chase or spot but I like to understand how the weather works. CERT does have spotters as members BTW. So for me while I am not a lurker I would not post frequently since I do not have the knowledge or training to contribute something of value. But if a large twister hit DFW a la the scenario shown at Tessa this year I would have something to say since CERT gets called out in the aftermath to help first responder and SAR groups. CERT is trained to do some SAR for example, plus do first aid and medical triage. So we would be the guys on TV helping the PDs and FDs pull people out of the rubble.

So in summary most likely contributions from me would be after the storm you might say whereas most folks here are contributing before and during an event.

It seems forcast threads have gone to nothing... I guess it may be best for the site to make the forcasts for approved members only. Didn't mean for my comments to turn anyone off.

I have only been a member of stormtrack for a little over a year now and I don't do much for posting because my forecasting knowledge is still pretty basic compared to other members of the site. I feel that if I am not able to post a forecast that is valuable to the stormtrack community I don't do it. A lot of times I will read up on the forecasts then go and look at the models myself to see what someone else is seeing.

When it comes to Now posts; I think it does get a little out of hand sometimes when you see posts like "GR3 shows 2 inch hail". A lot of members have either GR2, GR3, mobile threat net or something and can see that information for themselves first hand. Just my 2 cents worth.

Like someone posted earlier, where does lurking end and a SERIOUS desire to learn begin? I go into the FCST threads to make sense of the data on the NAM/GFS/RUC/what-have-you. I had seen models before, but how was I supposed to make sense out of what all the colors, countours and terms meant? Like any person living in the the 21st Century I turned to the world wide web for help. Stormtrack was one of the first sites that I found that had a wonderful heap of information. I am nowhere near confident enough to post my own forecast a week ahead, but thanks in large part to this site if I was at gunpoint with someone screaming at me to make a forecast, I'd be able to squeak out.

Of course it's highly unlikely that I'd find myself in that situation, but the point is that I've learned an exponential amount from these threads.

As for the comments about the FCST threads being for chasers ONLY, then I guess I'm not one. There's only so much "chasing" I can do near Chicago. I'm unemployed and do not have my own vehicle. Getting out to the most active parts of the US is still a very distant goal. I understand that this is a place for the most serious of weather enthusiasts, but when do you become one? Stormtrack has at least put me on that path and I hope that the FCST threads will still be open to folks like me.

-Ian Michael Contreras
Chicago, IL

my $0.02.

I say leave the access/memberships like it is. Even letting the hobbyists that are currently in limbo in with a membership.

I'd venture to guess that most of the people that go to the trouble of tracking this place down, going through the registration process and returning to read and learn are not the people we need to be worried about.

Back