Limit-pushing

Dan Robinson

I understand that pushing the limits/taunting mods with risque threads/posts is the new fad these days on ST, but what gives with them not being dealt with?

Yup, ditto on that one Dan. I have seen several completely offensive and out of line threads. I like to think that ST is at least family friendly, but the things being posted and not removed lead me to believe my time here is limited. I think many others probably feel the same, but are afraid to speak up for fear of being jumped all over.

James

Because what really makes you a big tough man these days is getting yourself booted from an internet forum by talking trash to the "authority" that runs it!! Makes you a true rebel.

I think more chasers need other hobbies when years like 2009 roll around. Lets all buy some cheap beater cars and start a demo derby team...now THAT would be fun.

Then again this tread is also in violation of said rules since it's forbidden to question the mods judgement.

See, I nominate Dan and James as new MODS. How easy was that?

EDIT: And Scott, for making sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then again this tread is also in violation of said rules since it's forbidden to question the mods judgement.

Not exactly
FAQ; said:
* Public discussion, complaining, or contesting of a specific infraction or administrative action, whether concerning oneself or another user.

Which I see as we can discuss the moderation and administration...so long as it's not regarding a specific circumstance or action.

Man I wish I had the time to quote all the rules and regs here.
Jason! I nominate Jason Foster for MOD of ST too!
Man, this is easy!

ST should divide into two sections, both with the same forum sections. One called "I'm easily offended" and the other called "everyone else". The idea a forum of mostly adults needs to have all posts family friendly for all family types is silly to me. But I'm sure that is the way it is believed will keep the most happy and the most coming back here. I sort of doubt that is true however, especially considering just how little some things are that "stir people up".

ST should divide into two sections, both with the same forum sections. One called "I'm easily offended" and the other called "everyone else". The idea a forum of mostly adults needs to have all posts family friendly for all family types is silly to me. But I'm sure that is the way it is believed will keep the most happy and the most coming back here. I sort of doubt that is true however, especially considering just how little some things are that "stir people up".

I agree. Some people need to lighten up. Especially about the B&G posts. This isn't a family and friends forum where we share the latest Toys R' Us sales paper with one another...its a forum where [mostly] men come together with a common interest. When the guys go out to the bar what kind of stuff usually comes up as topic of conversation? Yea thats what I thought...beer, BBQ and Boobs. The 3 cures for SDS!

Ok, perhaps family friendly was not the best wording. :rolleyes: I'm not easily offended, but the threads in question were pretty far over the top. I guess I wonder how some of the ladies in the forum felt about that post?

No offense, but come on guys. You never see me griping about the fact that people are just as thin-skinned when it comes to being offended by Christianity. It gets old for the whole 'easily offended' bull to be so one-sided. If I started a thread about a Bible verse it would be shut down in ten seconds. As in it's OK to offend the family-friendly crowd here but not the 'anything goes' crowd. And then it's supposedly outraegous that someone would complain at off-color posts. People act so surprised that someone would complain, or that eliciting complaints is the goal. As if it's some sort of social experiment or demonstration. That, I don't get. What is one trying to prove by demonstrating that offensive posts get complaints? That's like going into a theater, yelling 'FIRE' and then lauging at all the people for running out, saying, "I knew that was going to happen".

Oh well, just another aspect of humanity I haven't figured out.

Well Dan...I agree that I think its dumb we're not allowed to talk about religion and politics. I wish we could. However those "offensive" threads are not serious, they're just people joking around making stupid references. That is a big difference and why they are probably allowed to stay whereas a religious thread would get shut down. Ive never seen a boob thread end with people slamming or flaming one another. Just a bunch of LOLs which is what allot of us need these days.

With all the controversy I'm surprised that no one has made an alternative forum for "everyone else"... like a completely different site.

This post is about to get deleted just for mentioning that lol.

With all the controversy I'm surprised that no one has made an alternative forum for "everyone else"... like a completely different site.

This post is about to get deleted just for mentioning that lol.

If you have never reported a forum post then check out the link below :D

No offense, but come on guys. You never see me griping about the fact that people are just as thin-skinned when it comes to being offended by Christianity. It gets old for the whole 'easily offended' bull to be so one-sided. If I started a thread about a Bible verse it would be shut down in ten seconds. As in it's OK to offend the family-friendly crowd here but not the 'anything goes' crowd. And then it's supposedly outraegous that someone would complain at off-color posts. People act so surprised that someone would complain, or that eliciting complaints is the goal. As if it's some sort of social experiment or demonstration. That, I don't get. What is one trying to prove by demonstrating that offensive posts get complaints? That's like going into a theater, yelling 'FIRE' and then lauging at all the people for running out, saying, "I knew that was going to happen".

You're trying to use an argument that doesn't exist in this case. Pretending to know what everyone else will do in threads that have not existed on here, bible versus threads. And doing so with the assumption they'd care to bother posting complaints...as much as folks do in cases such as this.

Add a bible section too for all I care.

If I think it is stupid to complain, I'll say so, just like you have spoken with the complaint in the first place. I don't see the massive surprise or issue in that aspect I guess.

For the record I'm not surprised people would complain. Didn't turn on the computer to see the thread and fall out of my chair in shock. Not even expecting anyone to stop complaining, just saying I'll think it is silly each time. It is being easily offended, no matter how one tries to color it.

Dan, I know exactly what you are saying. To try to argue the point on here and get anyone else to understand seems impossible. Thanks for standing up!

I guess I'm on the other side of this. I'm pretty tired of all the whining from persons who basically want to explicitly and narrowly dictate the content of this forum. I'm trying to keep up with what some people want and what I have so far is: Anything funny= not allowed. Any harsh words to newbies (even when they violate rules by posting worthless noise in a FCST thread = okay because we were all new once and it's not their fault they can't/won't read the rules lets all just have a group hug. Any differing opinions = Aaaaaaaaaah!!! quick call a mod!

Seriously, people. Someone could be offended by every single thing on here. This forum or any forum just isn't going to work if every single thing that offends a single person is moderated or deleted. Thicken up that skin a little.

Another thing: There seems to be two groups of people who are "leaving"; the group that is offended by the content and the group that is offended by the censorship. So instead of everyone leaving for their own reasons and turning this into a ghost town, let's all nut up and agree that even though we may not like everything about ST all the time we can respect each others differences and keep this the great place that it has been.

Dan, I know exactly what you are saying. To try to argue the point on here and get anyone else to understand seems impossible. Thanks for standing up!

Untrue, I as well as others understand what Dan is saying. I tried to offer my explanation as to why I think it is the way it is.

I can't support Jason's comment more. This is the B&G - have fun in it. If you can't hack it, ask the mods to turn off your access to it. It's easy.

As for slapping the hands of those who are posting BS in the Forecast, Now and Reports threads; somebody needs to! Every other forum out there is partially policed by veteran members. It makes people think twice before posting and maybe even cause them to actually read the rules/guidelines! This forum is built on those three threads. They need to be respected.

Also, while I'm on a roll, let's see if we can't try really hard to format our thread topics where they make sense and maybe, if you're feeling spunky, spell check them before submitting.

Yep, gotta agree with that right there. And, where are all of these very offensive and over the top threads that seem to be popping up all over the place?? I haven't seen any...I mean, even the recent, yet infamous, flame war thread wasn't THAT bad. Some people need to get over it already. I've seen more threads pop up about ST being too hostile and offensive than the hostile and offensive threads themselves...

Here's the thing though - we're in mixed company here. Meaning a diverse group of people with different values that I assumed we all had mutual respect for. Would that same type of content be accepted at a baseball game, at a restaurant, or anywhere else where people are in mixed company? I assumed that common forum courtesy was not to stir the pot with either end of the spectrum. I never stir it here with religion, and I assumed the same courtesy would be extended to those like me to not stir it with the offensive stuff.

Back