Lightbars on chase vehicles

Originally posted by Jay McCoy
This thread has NOTHING to do with testosterone and \"boys with their toys\" and anybody who thinks that misses the whole point to this thread and that is that some poeple dont like chasers who use lights for whatever reason.

I wasn't going to get into this thread this year (yes, for those of you who are relatively new here, this whole argument is a rehash from years past.) However, I should point out that many of us have had very negative experiences in regards to "chasers" using their lightbars/ambers.

I personally have had several instances over the past ten years or so where a person would speed up behind me, lights-a-flashing, and tailgate me until I pulled over to let them roar past (this occurred to me as recently as May 22, 2004.) And before someone says that "maybe they were responding to an emergency", I'd also add that on at least one of those occasions the culprits not only had out-of-state tags but were spotted a little ways up the road with tripods and video cameras out, taping the action.

True, any chaser can use lightbars and I do recognize their utility in certain situations. And I also recognize that my several experiences certainly represent a small exception to the overall rule. However, I'd caution any chaser to think twice about using them as a means to make others get out of your way. If it happens to me again, I will find you and we will have a discussion about your behavior, most likely with a member of the local law enforcement agency there as well.

Regards,

Mike

Originally posted by David Drummond+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Drummond)</div>
Originally posted by Jay McCoy@
<!--QuoteBegin-Chris Sokol

LOL...well, you know it's officially storm season when this topic comes up again.

Yep must be in full swing. Just like the daylight saving time argument or the yahoo argument. its the annual trifecta of the start of the season. and the arguments are always the same. nothing has changed.

I say we set a time stamp on these threads so they just magically reappear each March so we dont even have to retype our thoughts on them. :wink:

No, we are still missing ONE more thread before the season can officially begin....the annual WF Bashing thread.[/b]

They have kinda already started that too.. :lol:
http://stormtrack.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5834

Agreed Mike and thats where I make the point of your rights end where mine begin. We have all had run-ins with people who do things like that and it doesnt even have to be lights. just people blocking roads or setting up tripods in the road. I once saw a group cut through a field to avoid the traffic backup (chaser convergence) near Turkey, Tx back in 2002. I am sure the farmer loved it.

If ever I do something stupid (wouldnt be a 1st) I hope I am taken to task (privately first) by whomever I offended so I can apologize amd make sure it doesnt happen again. we have all done stupid things in the heat of the moment but later look back and try and hide our faces.

Thats why the point made earlier by others was so valid. The lights are for when your in a hazardous spot while STOPPED and want people to notice you. The only time I have used yellows (which I dont even have any more) when moving were when I was in a driving rain and didnt want somebody to run up my tail when I had to slow to 20mph. Driving with them just to get through traffic doesnt need to be addressed here since it is already illegal to do so and should hopefully be addressed by local law enforcement.

Originally posted by Andrew Geil
Its sad this thread has gone on longer then the last couple of target area storm threads... ;)

And what's even more sad is that this time next year this topic will once again rear it's ugly head. :)

I'm out on this one. :)

Regards,

Mike

Originally posted by Andrew Geil
Its sad this thread has gone on longer then the last couple of target area storm threads... ;)

What's even sadder is that the cat killing thread has lasted longer than ANY chasing related discussion. :lol:

Originally posted by Melissa Moon
It's the going to any kind of chaser gathering and seeing a lot of the guys huddled around bragging about what kind of useless features they have on their chase vehicles, and showing them off that makes the rest of us want to gag. Granted, if you have something that actually is of some use, like the turtles Tim Samaras has been using for his research, then showing your devices to others is great because it has some kind of scientific/educational value. I think the thing that gets me the most are all the expensive pieces of meteorological equipment on the top of some vehicles that really are serving no scientific purpose (ie not even being hooked to a datalogger). As far as safety is concerned, I find the excessiveness (like REALLY flashy lights) to be much more of a distraction on the road and therefore a hazard than anything.

A: Just because one person does not have a use for something does not make it "worthless".

B: A majority of chasers have no interest in scientific research. (The same can also be said that a large number of chasers have no interest in public safety at all, and do not report severe weather to the local NWS or Skywarn nets.)

C: Many chasers use weather equipment for real-time info, and have no need for data logging.

D: If extra lighting is of no use from a safety point of view, then emergency vehicles, tow trucks, utility vehicles, ect. would not use them.

Now, with that said....

Nobody that is NOT acting in an official capacity for a public safety agency has the right to either use any type of light to move traffic, violate traffic laws, or block roads. This is completely illegal, unacceptable, reckless, and dangerous. Using them for visibility and safety purposes is quite alright, just remember that you are not an emergency vehicle.

Along the same lines...

If you do not have an Amateur Radio license, you should not be using this equipment at any time. Also, if you do not belong to a public safety agency, you should not be using their radio frequencies to communicate (IE: State Fire Net). This is also very illegal, and just plain stupid. Every season I witness this.

Originally posted by David Drummond+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Drummond)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Justin Walker

I'm guilty of having a skywarn spotter sticker on my car...the reason behind the sticker is not to warn anyone...but it gives some official reasoning behind my speeding to the LAW. Cops really don't like \"storm chasers\" who are out there just following some official chaser. If you actually can spot, then it sets you apart from the others who are out there for just S's and G's. There's sort of a sneeky motivation behind it. Sorry! :wink:

Having a SKYWARN sticker gives absolutely no "officialness" whatsoever, much less a license to break traffic laws.[/b]

And a chaser following a spotter is like Jennifer Lopez using Bea Arthur to get into a club :roll:

alrighty...i wasnt going to, but i have to lol... i chase with instruments and a small 16" lightbar and arrowstick. (man that felt like an AA meeting) now i know the use of instruments on chase vehicles is quite a touchy subject but im gonna throw my two cents in here real quick. The instruments I chase with are: wind direction /speed, T, Td, Barometric Pressure, and a rain gauge ( i know its pointless for actual chase purposes, but i will explain more on that in a minute). I not only enjoy viewing the storm through my own eyes, but through a scientific view too. I also plan on doing some data logging this year and displaying that on my chase videos, just so for those who arnt on the chase, can see what is going on in the atmosphere as well. As for the rain gauge, I use that when I'm at home on just boring rainy days, and report rain measurements to CBS 11. It came with the weather station I bought so I figured I might as well put it to some usage. Also, having a weather station on the roof gives me something to work on in the winter time. I really enjoy building and creating new designs and thinking of more aerodynamic, efficient ways of building them. Now for the lightbars and strobes... like I said, I use a 16" lightbar in the front of my truck and an arrowstick in the back. I have chased with the lightbar for 4 years now and had not one problem with the law about using it. I use it for situations where I am pulled over on the side of the road, and during low visibility situations (ie. June 4, 2003 New Mexico) As for the arrowstick, I just added that this season for some extra lighting in the back, and also have nearly been slammed into the back numerous times at night time...and yes, I am pulled all the way off the road. I also never drive with any of the lights on, I will admit, I have accidently left them on, but for no more than maybe a mile or so before realizing it. I do believe that you can over do it with the warning lights though. I don't understand wigwags, strobes in the lights, and I have even seen a chase vehicle with 4, yes 4, 16" mag mount lightbars like I have, one for each side of the vehicle. That, I don't understand, dont think I ever will. But to sum this novel up, I feel like if you enjoy using instruments, use them. As for the lights, use them as you wish, but please do so in a safe and proper manner. I mean we are all just chasing, we should be worrying more about enjoying Mother Nature, than how other chasers chase or what they chase with. Best of luck to everyone this season.

~this all reminds me of highschool, whos cool because they wear this brand of clothing, and whos the rejects because the shop at walmart. :lol: (no insults to anyone who shops at Walmart, they know me by first name there :wink: )

Originally posted by Jay McCoy
This thread has NOTHING to do with testosterone and \"boys with their toys\" and anybody who thinks that misses the whole point to this thread and that is that some poeple dont like chasers who use lights for whatever reason.

Unfortunately, one of those reasons some people find the excessiveness so irritable happens to be "boys with their toys", especially in situations where the excessiveness is not needed when conditions aren't that bad, and at social situations where everyone has to "show off" their vehicles adorned with junk serving no purpose. So, therefore, this thread does indeed have something to do with the aforementioned. Granted, it's not all "boys", but I think that it is a generalization that pretty accurately describes a select chunk of chasers out there.

Plain and simple its a freedom of choice issue. you have the right to choose to have them or not and nobody should judge somebody else based on your preference as long as they dont intrude on your freedom. Thats how this country works. do as you want but your rights stop where mine begin. If they want to look like the ghostbustermobile then fine by me. if they want to stay totally anonymous and not even put up 1 antenna fine also.

Oh believe me, as I've said before, "to each their own". If someone feels more gratification spending thousands of dollars on items which are only going to serve the purpose of looking pretty or mighty or whatever image a person wants to project and nothing else, then that's fine. No one is going to stop that person. However, in addition to freedom of choice, there is also a thing called freedom of speech in which I have just as much right to come out and say that I find some of the vanity to be very ridiculous.

On a side note I must say that, if you are one of those who feels the need of having all the gadgets, I think it's great if all of your gadgets are being put to good use, and in a responsible manner. I don't want everyone to think that I think ALL gadgets and lights are bad; my opinion depends on how the person uses them, and if there are less extravagant means that serve the purpose equally well.

Mike, I agree that the lightbars can be a nuisance when not needed and an assistance when needed, but it seems to me that you have somewhat of a contradictory statement. I am somewhat confused as to how you feel that people should not be "wreckless" (in my own words) when chasing and that law enforcement should take care of them, but I was wondering why and how you feel compeled to discuss their behavior-that is the job of the law. I mean no offense to you by this but I would just like clarification.

Thank you.

There's nothing contradictory in my post and I don't make it a habit of playing a game of semantics. My comments stand.

Regards,

Mike

The choice for me...Disco Free

Lightbars: Against

My personal thoughts...

*I'm against using a device that, whether intended or not, impersonates authorities. Here is an example of illegal use that's currently going on right now: Criminals install lightbars on their SUVs to drive along the Mexican border impersonating border patrol at night...to rob, mug, assault, kidnap/extort money from border crossers or their families. I don't like how lightbars confuse the public.
*Lightbars in stormchasing attract too much attention
*Illegal in many areas
*Affects perception of chasers - can look yahoo-ish and non-law abiding in the public eye
*Factory hazard lights are sufficient "for safety". If a chaser or photographer needs an overhead lightbar to alert passing motorists, they are not far enough off the road.
*I'm not a big fan of something that attracts criticism to the chase community, or creates public perception (whether intended or not) that chasers liberally interpret laws or use illegal (or borderline illegal) devices for their own personal purposes.

Lamps...no thanks.

Re: The choice for me...Disco Free

Originally posted by Susan Strom
Lightbars: Against

My personal thoughts...

*I'm against using a device that, whether intended or not, impersonates authorities. Here is an example of illegal use that's currently going on right now: Criminals install lightbars on their SUVs to drive along the Mexican border impersonating border patrol at night...to rob, mug, assault, kidnap/extort money from border crossers or their families. I don't like how lightbars confuse the public.
*Lightbars in stormchasing attract too much attention
*Illegal in many areas
*Affects perception of chasers - can look yahoo-ish and non-law abiding in the public eye
*Factory hazard lights are sufficient \"for safety\". If a chaser or photographer needs an overhead lightbar to alert passing motorists, they are not far enough off the road.
*I'm not a big fan of something that attracts criticism to the chase community, or creates public perception (whether intended or not) that chasers liberally interpret laws or use illegal (or borderline illegal) devices for their own personal purposes.

Lamps...no thanks.

Excellent points Susan and, I think, what poor Melissa (and I) have been trying to convey here for some time. You sure embodied all MY feelings about extra lightbars - to whatever color/degree they may be being used.

Glad to see there's a bit more Estrogen in here now. Doesn't it seem a bit *strange* that all the females should hold the same opinion?

KR

Back