Lightbars on chase vehicles

Yesterday I used my strobes once again. I came upon a bad accident at the Lawton-Duncan "Y" by Duncan, OK. (people familiar with this area know how bad that intersection is.) I was one of the first few people on the accident. A small import can crashed into a heavy construction truck carrying an equipment trailer. It is a four lane divided highway and the accident was in the slow lane when the truck tried to hurry across the intersection. the small car hit so hard it separated the trailer from the truck. I had blocked the lanes down with my car because traffic was still going through there about 45mph while people were trying to help the victims and YES I used my strobes. It was about ten minutes before the first emergency vehicle showed up, which was a Marlow police officer. Once there was enough "official" help there I shut down my strobes and moved my car so an Oklahoma Highway Patrol officer could take my place. He came over to me, asked who I was with. I told him I was a storm chaser, he just smiled and thanked me for providing the extra help with the traffic then I was on my way.

Well I applaud your consideration in stopping and being of assistance. Being a EMT, you'd be suprised to see how many people DONT stop and render aid.

However... On the topic of wig wags, THAT is unacceptable. While there may not be a law against it in some places, that is a warning system that was designed for emergency vehicles, and emergency vehicles only. All the LEO's that I know would seriously frown on that. While it may not be illegal in itself, Im sure they could find something to pull you over for.

I see a recurring theme -

Lightbars, etc. are intended for safety, and used to augment the 4-way hazard flashers. Some people do misuse them, but that should not be any reason to stop everyone from using them.

For anything else I have to say on this topic, see my signature below.

I have a single rotating amber light that's in the back window of my car. Only time I use it is when I'm pulled over on a chase, particularly at night, or if I'm going through a serious core punch and it's a lot of traffic (that's a nightmare).

I've only used two other times when not chasing. Once, when my car was involved in an accident on I-35 and when my roommate was involved in an accident on a busy street in Norman. I pulled up behind him and threw on the light and the hazards until the cops got there.

Back