Lightbars on chase vehicles

Originally posted by David Drummond+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Drummond)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Karen Rhoden
I have lights on my car, too. They're nice little orangey things at the sides called \"Hazards\" - and they can be used to great effect. That's why factories install them on vehicles before they leave the production line.
KR

Again, using the hazard lights prevents the use of turn signals on almost all vehicles. You do use those right? Turn signals?[/b]

I am just trying to imagine the once-in-a-millenia situation I would ever come across whereby it would be necessary to drive whilst using hazard lights. The people following me would not know what I was referencing, and I would not be a stationary target.

I was referring to the hazard lights as an implement to use while stationary, to ensure the safety of the occupants in an emergency or a breakdown. That was before you suggested that I would be using hazard lights while in motion - which I do not.

To answer your question - yes, I am aware of turning signals (indicators) and I use them on every occasion I should. Unlike many.

Therefore, I am thinking that all these lightbars and being paranoid about getting crashed into might not be an issue if people would only stop when a safe place to do so presents itself and they are able to completely turn off the road - thus removing themselves from the traffic flow and thus eliminating the need for warning lights and whistles. I can't think of many situations I have been in where there was literally no dirt road to pull off on.

KR

Originally posted by Karen Rhoden

Therefore, I am thinking that all these lightbars and being paranoid about getting crashed into might not be an issue if people would only stop when a safe place to do so presents itself and they are able to completely turn off the road - thus removing themselves from the traffic flow and thus eliminating the need for warning lights and whistles. I can't think of many situations I have been in where there was literally no dirt road to pull off on.

KR

Wasn't picking on you Karen, just that had been mentioned previously in the thread and it seemed you might have missed it.

What about.... have you ever driven in blinding rain, hail or dust? How about hail fog after a massive hail dump? Never once pulled out and forgot to turn off those hazards (seen lots of people do that, chasers or no)

I think many of us that chase a lot can take driving in bad weather conditions for granted, because after all, it's somewhat routine for us compared to the rest of the driving population. I know out here even in Lubbock, all it has to do is rain a little bit, and most of the drivers around seem to forget 90% of what they knew about driving. Same goes for any frozen stuff too. And you would think out here people would be used to driving in dust storms....not so!

It's all THOSE people out there driving that I am "paranoid" about smacking in to me, while I am moving or while I am sitting still. I am not nearly as worried about the guy with all the "useless" weather instruments on his vehicle or lights, because to me I figure he has some chasing experience driving in bad weather. I am MUCH more concerned about the general public's driving in those conditions.

If a person is always able to pull off to where you feel safe, if they never have to drive in a weather situation that gives you concern of other drivers abilities, then sounds like they have found a good formula for chasing that works for them. GREAT! Surely no one will call those people in names or bash on them because that is they way they chose and it works for them. Don't see why it has to be that way for those that chose the other path though. No one is trying to make anyone else put lights on their cars, but there does seem to be those that want others to take them off.

Which really I see it the lightbar issue really comes down to part of a larger issue. For many years now, those that have lots of "stuff" on their chase vehicles inevitably come under fire by a small group of those that don't have that stuff. However, you rarely hear those that have it bashing on people because they don't. I've hypothosized over the years as to why this is, and have formed my own opinions about it, which I won't share as to draw more fire, but I really don't understand why those that don't have "stuff" on their chase vehicles sometimes feel the need to launch fire on those that do? Does it really matter? Does it really affect anyone elses ability to go out and stare at water vapor? No, not really.

I have been guilty in the past of whacking on some people for some things they have done in chasing, but here lately, slowly actually over the last 6 months or so have been evolving my thinking and have finally decided that, you know what? I really don't care what anyone else is doing while they are out there chasing, or how they are doing it, as long as they aren't DIRECTLY affecting me on chase day somehow. If your causing me a direct problem out there in the field, your going to hear about it, otherwise, I could care less about what anyone else does. Sure there are a couple of wanna be whackers with fully decked out chase vehicles that have never been chasing a day in their life running around, and maybe those guys need to have a little fun poked at them, but if your actually getting out there and making an attempt, more power to you.

Whatever makes you enjoy chasing more, go for it and if someone else is having an issue with something you decided to stick on your chase vehicle, whether it be an amber light bar or hot pink fuzzy dice from your antenna, then it's their issue and not yours, enjoy yourself! Chase like it's the last storm, take images like their's no tomorrow, and be proud of yourself for the effort at the end of the day. In 10-15-20 yrs I will guarantee you 80% of the people you interact with in chasing now will have moved on to something else. It's the rare handful of people that have stuck it out for the very long term.

And with that, I think I have contributed all I had useful to the lightbar discussion, so I will respectifully bow out at this time from it. :)

Man David that was a mouthfull!! I have to agree with you. As long as it doesnt interfere with my chasing people can do anything they want to their vehicle (within legal boundaries ofcourse) that make them happy. if they want to covere every inch of their paint with decals or antennas then go ahead. Just dont get in my way or do something that will cause ramifications to the chase community as a whole. The public sees a chaser do something stupid and then lumps the entire commmunity into a stereotype. Otherwise have all the lights you want. have 6 laptops even though you can only monitor 1 or 2. have a big wx instrument package on your roof so you can tell the DP went up 2 degrees in the past hr. Just enjoy yourself. So what if your not taking scientific data and logginf it. It is still nice to know the DP or pressure to look for changes. it all goes back to helping you chase.

Since my lights are red/blue for emergency services I'm involved with I dont use mine but a long time ago i did have a small yellow bar. Visiblility is safety. yes it gets other drivers attention. thats the point. If they get too distracted by some lights they shouldnt be driving anyway. I work alot of wrecks on 2 major interstates. I-40 & I-27 and can tell you from experience the more warning lights you have safer you are. People dont pay attention to driving the way they should. they are on their phone or jamming to music. They need something that grabs their attention and says LOOK!

I have said my piece thank you.

OK, like others on here, I'm going to take my dice and stop with this last comment (I like the fake fur dice, by the way... 8) ).

Andrew, the study/paper was based on findings in an Urban/Metro area. I hinted at this in my first post. "Seattle was the only place to really give me trouble". In Metro areas, the response time to the emergency is the same or within reasonable amounts whether or not lights/siren were used. In heavy traffic (by heavy, I mean bumper to bumper rush hour stuff) you might as well turn off the emergency stuff and go with the flow. You'll get there quicker. I learned this a long time ago traveling from Olympia to Seattle (Harbor View Hospital) on several occasions. 6 lanes and all of them packed. I also knew the side roads and once past Tacoma could get past the Boeing traffic.

Here's an example of how it does work though. Driving on I-35 between Perry and Tonkawa. Accident ahead, you can see it for miles. You know it's there and have adequate time to prepare yourself. Shoot, even a decent drunk can navigate this scenario.

Now, imagine an even darker rainy night, just enough to get the windshield wet. You are parked off the shoulder with your hazards on, out videoing a monster F4 in a field 2 miles east. Someone stops to help thinking you are broke down because you don't want to get to far away from the vehicle in case it starts raining harder or hailing.. Now we have two vehicles in a low visibility situation off the side of the road on a busy Interstate. Lets figure that most people are in a hurry to get where they want to go. speed limit is 70 mph, figure 75 to 80 mph as the average. Yeah, they see you and your "good samaritan" with Hazards but don't see an emergency and sail right by. About 2 or 3 feet from the side of your vehicle. Here comes Joe Bob Drunk from the Bar. He's tied one on pretty good. He sees and gets a little mezmorized by the blinking lights.. Smack!

In fairness, it's really not going to make a big difference whether they are hazards or not to the drunk driver. He keys in on the blinking trying to decide what to do and will drift towards them (Moth to Flame Theory).

Now, which would you rather? Have some mode of warning people of a hazard in which they will continue on there merry way but NOTICE you and give way? Or do the stock Hazard lights and have the folks whiz by at lightning speeds or someone stopping to "help" you? I know my choice.

Nuff said, It's time we get chasing!

LOL. For the life of me, I can't understand why these debates over lights turn into 4 page discussions.

It's all really pretty simple:

If you want them, use them.

If you don't want them, don't use them!

There, pretty simple huh?

I could personally care less what anyone else does, so long as what they do is not putting my butt in the news. If they are operating their vehicle in a safe manner, it makes no difference to me if they use lightbars, dash mounted strobes, mini-halogen revolving lights, hazards or no lights at all.

To go a step farther, I don't care if you paint your face, don a neon colored wig and dress up as a clown. You can dress in drag for all I care. So long as you don't bother me, I simply don't care. LOL.

You can also chase in a subcompact, sedan, pick-up, SUV or whatever if that's your thing. You can use the most high end digital cam on the market or a vintage 1980's VHS camcorder. Again, I don't care.

So, to sum it up, we are all individuals. As individuals, we all have our own unique and different tastes concerning equipment and how it's employed. The key is using good judgement no matter what equipment you choose to use or not use. So long as everyone does that, it really shouldn't be an issue. The only thing that bothers me about these discussions are people who feel the need to insult others who choose to use warning lights. It may be a pet peeve of yours to see people using them. But there's no reason to belittle someone else for their choices so long as they aren't bothering others. Afterall, someone else's pet peeve may be people who concern themselves with the business of others too much. LOL. See how that goes?

I say show your individuality. Do as you choose. And allow everyone to live and let live. So long as those of you with lights don't abuse the use of them, you'll never hear me complain or put you down, regardless of how I may feel about your setup. Why? Because whether or not I like lights, it's none of my business what you use.

Just a simple man's opinion.

-George

George.....
You have some interesting gossip on someone???? Do tell :D
To go a step farther, I don't care if you paint your face, don a neon colored wig and dress up as a clown. You can dress in drag for all I care. So long as you don't bother me, I simply don't care.

Ahh the life....

Thanks George. Took the words right out of my mouth! 8)

It's all about what you want on your vehicle and what YOU think it would do to help you. Just like if you wanted a lift kit for "chasing" blizzards LOL...someone would have to give you crap over it!!

Or even fork out the dollars, buy a modified 379 Peterbilt semi-tractor, get a flatbed on it, and mount your very own Phased Array Radar to it... :shock: (Defiantly have to have some racing stripes on it! :wink: ) LMAO

It all about YOUR thought and ideas...thats what America's all about right?!?

Originally posted by George Tincher
LOL. For the life of me, I can't understand why these debates over lights turn into 4 page discussions.

Yeah, I couldn't believe it touched such a nerve. For the record, a mod started the separate thread, not me. It's not that big of a deal to me. :)

I was simply asking why some felt they were needed, and having a chuckle at the garishly decal-ed up vehicles of some. No harm, no foul.

Originally posted by Chris Sokol
LOL...well, you know it's officially storm season when this topic comes up again.

Yep must be in full swing. Just like the daylight saving time argument or the yahoo argument. its the annual trifecta of the start of the season. and the arguments are always the same. nothing has changed.

I say we set a time stamp on these threads so they just magically reappear each March so we dont even have to retype our thoughts on them. :wink:

One wonders why, then, you all keep posting on here if the argument is so dead and makes you :roll: your eyes??? I've read like five different messages so far before this one all saying that the debate doesn't concern them and it should just die. Welllll.......it's still going!! :lol:

I sure as hell didn't start the debate and only came in to help out a chase-sister in need of some back up as far as the testosterone-dilemma is concerned. Two gals and a hundred guys is a bit unbalanced.....

So yeah......why don't we resign this discussion to the Cretaceous era of the 2005 chase season.......now there's a good idea.

KR

This thread has NOTHING to do with testosterone and "boys with their toys" and anybody who thinks that misses the whole point to this thread and that is that some poeple dont like chasers who use lights for whatever reason. Plain and simple its a freedom of choice issue. you have the right to choose to have them or not and nobody should judge somebody else based on your preference as long as they dont intrude on your freedom. Thats how this country works. do as you want but your rights stop where mine begin. If they want to look like the ghostbustermobile then fine by me. if they want to stay totally anonymous and not even put up 1 antenna fine also.

Originally posted by Jay McCoy+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jay McCoy)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Chris Sokol
LOL...well, you know it's officially storm season when this topic comes up again.

Yep must be in full swing. Just like the daylight saving time argument or the yahoo argument. its the annual trifecta of the start of the season. and the arguments are always the same. nothing has changed.

I say we set a time stamp on these threads so they just magically reappear each March so we dont even have to retype our thoughts on them. :wink:[/b]

No, we are still missing ONE more thread before the season can officially begin....the annual WF Bashing thread.

Back