Light bars (was Chase Gear)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im getting ready to get a different vehicle and i was thinking about installing a lightbar, but i dont know what is acceptable (SIZE, COLOR, DESIGN) and i was also going to put some of those halogen flsahers in my front and rear lights. My next question is whether or not i need to designate my vehicle with decals and such to distinguish that im a stormchaser, so that people wont follow too close and possibly give me the right of way... Thoughts would be appreciated!

thanks

Could get one of those police megaphones so you can yell that you are just a chaser.

22481.jpg

I mean with the lightbar going, all those front and rear flashers, and the fact you'd probably be behind them if concerned about them giving you the right away....I think this is the only way to let them know.

LOL some of the replies I bet will be blogged about. I'll take a wild guess...

Last edited by a moderator:
All I know is, every time I see a vehicle with amber flashing lights, the first thing I always think of is, "OH NO! It must be a cop, I must pull over! Oh wait, it was just someone impersonating a cop. I was so easily fooled by those AMBER lights. I should write my congressman and get this activity stopped!" :eek:
/sarcasm

I'm gonna build a pseudo D.O.W. replica and attach it to my Mustang -- with screaming red and blue amber lights all along the back fin. I'll even install loud speakers and I'll yell... "Storm chaser coming through... This is an extremely dangerous situation... You must pull over now!... I'm important, no, seriously! I am! Look at me, I have amber lights!"

Next season... Nick Grillo: SuperChaser

1,000 antennas, 1,500 stickers and 100 amber lights on your car won't find you any storms, bro. Too many "chasers" need to learn this.

I wish chasers would just learn to mind their own business and stop worrying about what other chasers are doing all the time. Something tells me they would see a lot more tornadoes that way.

WOW.... I was curious if anyone was going to take this one and run. I have one single amber light that I use when pulled to the side of the road, and all of my intentions are to say " HEY, there is a car parked here don't hit me... And get off your cell phone and pay attention..." ok so maybe not the last part. I have noticed with the one little light people do hit there brakes and slow down and thats my whole purpose. I really don't want to make that phone call to my insurance company.

I wish chasers would just learn to mind their own business and stop worrying about what other chasers are doing all the time. Something tells me they would see a lot more tornadoes that way.

Well, sometimes it's hard to let it go when a thread gets started with such explicit wording on the intentions -- like the dialogue found in the original post. I do agree that some chasers need to stop worrying about what other chasers do sometimes, but heck -- there is a whole forum that got devoted to such a thing. I can't recall it's name at the moment... Hmmm... :eek:

WOW.... I was curious if anyone was going to take this one and run. I have one single amber light that I use when pulled to the side of the road, and all of my intentions are to say " HEY, there is a car parked here don't hit me... And get off your cell phone and pay attention..." ok so maybe not the last part. I have noticed with the one little light people do hit there brakes and slow down and thats my whole purpose. I really don't want to make that phone call to my insurance company.

Don't worry about your lightbar Shane as long as it's Amber. I have personally had several DPS troopers make favorable comments about me having that, and I have a full size MX7000, strobes in the taillights and an amber arrowstick as well as lots of antennas and decals from the news station I chase for. That's certainly good enough for me. What they (the DPS) have to say concerns me a lot more than what a few "storm chasers" think everyone else should have for optional equipment on their vehicles.

I guess some people are going to be so pissed off they can't see straight about my vehicle next season as the station is putting a full "storm chaser" graphic wrap on my vehicle. It's ok though, I won't feel bad at the end of the day when I am celebrating my tornado catch while they are fuming about my graphics and light package.

Quick Poll: How many people think that there are some chasers out there who are just plain jealous of what others have or have done???? when speaking of chase vehicles of course.. So im going to take this from all these replies: If you want a lightbar get one, but make sure it is amber. Also read the manual and agree to the terms and conditions that you are going to be ridiculed for having one by many.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back