Lets see some Nexrad!

Post some of your favorite Nexrad screen captures here. Let's see some eye-candy!

- Jon

One of my all-time favorites, from May 29 2004. Created in Weatherscope.
200405300150.png

bartlett0031big.jpg

No it doesn't have a pretty hook, but that is one HUGE storm. It is in central NE, July 12, 2004 and radar indicated tops were 65,000 to 70,000 feet for about an hour. Oh and about this same time it has a wedge on the ground as well as a smaller tornado to the west of the wedge. Nothing beats a slow moving beast like that during the summer.

2132 Z - Jackson County, IL 9/22/06

2132z.jpg

Velocity: Three sups, three couplets

2132zvel.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I probably have more than 100 radar captures on my computer from various outbreaks, supercells, and 'interesting' days (at least in terms of radar imagery)... That said, this is one of my faves:

incrediblehookecho.png

EDIT: I found a few images that I think are cooler than the above image, but for different reasons... Here's a set of images from TLX (Oklahoma City) that shows evidence of superrefraction "bending" the radar beam down to the surface... This isn't uncommon by itself, but it picks up traffic on I40 west of OKC and I44 southwest of OKC. This shows up best on spectrum width (which isn't surprising, since the beam volume is likely filled with cars going different directions and speeds), followed by base velocity and base reflectivity:
TLX spectrum width
TLX base velocity
TLX base reflectivity
TLX base velocity (different time)
TLX base reflectivity (different time)

September 16, 2006: Minutes before Colton Tornado

June 2nd, 2005: Motherships of Colorado

April 2nd, 2005: From Marmaduke to Carthursville

Nice hook SW of Big Spring, TX on May 4th 2006. Pic is NW of Big Spring about 20 minutes before the radar image was taken.
dsc04746filterednc8.jpg

hook6qnaf7.jpg

My favourite of all time... ever! I remember watching this on the PC while listening to skywarn and scanner feeds from the net with the satellite locked onto one of the local KY news channels.

BWER_loop.gif

bwer.gif

This one happened last year and is the best I've seen this summer. It was around for at least six hours, producing tornadoes and everything else. Note the hook echo on the northern end.

DN2.gif

April 14th '06

My choice would have to be the two supercells that formed in North Eastern Illinois on April 14th 2006 and moved South East making direct hits to the downtowns of my home town: Attica, IN, then Crawfordsville, IN followed by downtown Indianapolis. Because of the prolific hail from the southern storm (HP) many car dealerships were completely destroyed (hail to 2.5 in.). In the end the storms caused an estimated $1 Billion dollars and put Indiana at number one for storm claims in 2006.

I chased this storm from Attica to just north of Crawfordsville and it was the best structure I have ever seen!

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2410250550040169191DUbYPp

Attachments

• apr_14.png.jpg
    apr_14.png.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 89
  • velocity_14.png.jpg
    velocity_14.png.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 66
torn.gif

not sure what day this was.. but it was fun to watch on radar

march28ftworth.gif

March 28th, when forth worth got hit

Well, as we do not a high resolution radar system in Brazil and we do not even dream tro have a Nexrad, i think you would be interested in a weather radar picture depicting a tropical system off the coast of Rio Grande do Sul in February 2006:

ciclone22022006radarwa7.jpg

Back