Johnson County IA House hit Twice in One Night?

Code:
0915 PM     TORNADO          4 ENE HILLS             41.60N 91.47W 
04/13/2006                   JOHNSON            IA   NWS STORM SURVEY

F1 BREIF TOUCHDOWN TORNADO RESULTING IN ROOF BLOWN OFF 
            SECTION OF HOME. RESIDENCE WAS PREVIOUSLY DAMAGED BY A 
            TORNADO EARLIER IN THE EVENING.
Looking over the information posted on the WFO DVN 4/13 tornadoes page, 'tornado #8' appears to have raked the same area only 45 minutes prior to the 915PM F1 tornado damage. Now that's what I call unlucky.

WoW! I have never heard of that before that is just wild! Has that ever happend before? This is the first time I have heard of it happening does anyone know?

Congrats on bagging your first tornado Sam!

Yes this has happened in the past but on a less notable level without that much time in-between. There have been 10 or so cases in the last 25 years where tornadoes with satellite vortices/tornadoes have hit buildings before the main funnel has passed.

I personally have never seen a report like the one you came across but then again I am not looking all that often so don't rely on me.

From the report Sam posted, this sounds like 2 separate tornadoes, not a satellite vortex type of situation.

I don't know about the same exact location being struck twice on the same day, but I can post this blurb, taken from Tom Grazulis' excellent book, Significant Tornadoes, 1680-1991 (see: Tornado Project Online)

Evnet #96
Apr 3 1974
Lawrwence, Morgan, Limestone, Madison Counties, Alabama
28 fatalities, 260 injured
F5
...The funnel passed across Wheeler Lake as a giant waterspout and entered Limestone County on a small peninsula. Here, it leveled a 3/4 mile-wide swath of trees. The reddish soil was dug up and plastered to the trees by the wind. A nearby mobile home park was damaged on the edge of the tornado, and an injured man was taken to a church. He died half an hour later when the church was destroyed by the second tornado to hit the area (see event #98)...

Event #98:
Apr 3 1974
Limestone, Madison Counties, Alabama; Lincoln County, Tennessee
22 fatalities, 250 injured
F4
Moved NE from just N of the TN River, 8mi SSW of Athens, just a half mile north of the track of event #96, which passed by a half hour earlier... Tanner, Capshaw, and Harvest were hit by both tornadoes... The tornado produced F3 or F4 damage for its entire path length...

TonyC

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that this happened in Camilla, GA, back in 2000, with 2 F3s. However, I'm not sure if they hit common spots.

EDIT: They did overlap.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/tlh/tlh/mm5/SLS/go...shtml_gould.htm

Also, the southern MI F4s (first one starting in Steuben Co, IN) on Palm Sunday '65 overlapped sometimes, other times the paths combining w/downdrafts to produce a 4 mile wide damage path.

Back