Is this a funnel?

Umm, no Tony...that's lightning! :)

Just kidding, of course.

If the feature was fairly persistent, I'd certainly vote funnel cloud.

Regards,

Mike

Originally posted by mikedeason

*SMACK*

It was persistant for a couple minutes.. really hard to say because all we had WAS lightning as our guide. Baron indicated rotational skitz (sp?) in the area we were looking, so our eyes and technology seemed to agree that there was potential for low-level rotation. Its too hard to say! But this is exactly why I hate chasing at night! *LOL* Sometimes, its such a big pain in da...

Originally posted by Tony Laubach+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tony Laubach)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-mikedeason

*SMACK*
[/b]

I deserve that. :lol:

It was persistant for a couple minutes.. really hard to say because all we had WAS lightning as our guide.

Lightning is very tough to use, indeed. When it's occuring in different regions of the storm, the shadows and fills it produces can make the same feature look many different ways.

I think the bottom right image would be the one that would convince me the most that there's a funnel cloud there. Even though the background is overexposed in that frame, the contrast between the funnel cloud and what I would assume to be the scuddish perimeter of the wall cloud is enhanced.

Regards,

Mike

Originally posted by mikedeason+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikedeason)</div>
Originally posted by Tony Laubach@
<!--QuoteBegin-mikedeason

*SMACK*

I deserve that. :lol:[/b]

Yes you did! :lol: And they're plenty more where that came from! :lol:

Tom's still is definately what convinced me, as mine doesn't really show near as much. I'm probably gonna take the vid into After Effects so I can try and get a bit more detailed frame-by-frame pull. It was actually the top-right and bottom-left pics that give me more of a funnel look because there isn't as much over-exposure from the lightning. Hard to say...

Back