Is this a funnel?

Joey Ketcham

I am in need of a 2nd opinion. This is a shot of one of the many tornadic storms that hit SE Kansas on Thursday. Does this appear to be a funnel cloud to you?

Now here are the details. There were multiple reports of tornadoes, multiple reports of funnel clouds. this specific cloud in question did have persistant rotation, it did decend towards the ground but never did touch.

On the other hand it doesn't appear to have a distinct wall cloud that it's attached to nor an apparent mesocyclone.

Of all the years I've been chasing, this has been the only time I have ever questioned what I've seen... what do you think?

[Broken External Image]:http://www.kschaser.com/funnel.jpg

I'm not seeing any funnel cloud whatsoever. Looks to me like a lowering of some sort, possibly a wall cloud or maybe just scud clouds. But no funnel cloud.

I also agree with no the no funnel verdict but it is a pretty nice wall cloud! Good catch Joey!

Aha, I also think it is a wall-cloud. Nevertheless, please look at the left of the image; there is a tail quite suspicious. Could it be a structure with rotation?

Yeah, a wall cloud with a suspicious looking tail. If the 'tail' were rotating, I might call it a funnel cloud if it persists, but its just not screaming 'funnel cloud' to me.

Looks like a mass of rising scud to me, rather than a wall cloud — the position is right for a wall cloud, but if it were one, it'd have to be almost dead going by how "open" the sky is in front of it, which would suggest the RFD was about to occlude it. It's all those near-vertical streamers of condensation around the base of it; if it were a wall cloud, I don't think they'd be there as it'd look more laminar. In that case there isn't a funnel cloud present, either.

Originally posted by Kurt Hulst
What way are you facing? Are you looking north as the precip is to the east and the clear or what possibly looks like a clear slot to the west north west?

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I hate to doubt myself and question what I'm looking at...

As far as it being scud's, definately not that, this thing did have vigorous rotation on it and there were actually scuds when it first formed and they fed into it.....

This was looking to the northwest, back to the northeast is where the precip shaft was so it was in the right location within the storm.

Yeah definetly looks like a wall cloud to me, But i notice your right under power lines. Im guilty of parking near or under power lines as well, but its not safe when its lightning out. You can hear the lines zing or sizzle when electricity is discharged from a bolt. That sound always make me weary and reminds me hey i gotta move before i get zapped.

Originally posted by Kurt Hulst
Yeah definetly looks like a wall cloud to me, But i notice your right under power lines. Im guilty of parking near or under power lines as well, but its not safe when its lightning out. You can hear the lines zing or sizzle when electricity is discharged from a bolt. That sound always make me weary and reminds me hey i gotta move before i get zapped.

I was wondering how long it'd take for someone to notice that, yeah stupid move on my part... I was guilty of being in that "momemt" of excitement.. thankfully right after I got out, took that pic I realized and recognized my danger and moved.

I guess the real question is does it matter? I could care less what the difference between a rapidly rotating wall cloud and a one with a small funnel is ; )

Aaron

Originally posted by jketcham+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jketcham)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Kurt Hulst

I was wondering how long it'd take for someone to notice that, yeah stupid move on my part... I was guilty of being in that "momemt" of excitement.. thankfully right after I got out, took that pic I realized and recognized my danger and moved.[/b]

My opinion is being under as far as lightning you are safer from the lightning but if there is a chance of them being blown down then this to me is more of concern.

Originally posted by Aaron Kennedy
I could care less what the difference between a .....

Aaron

AARRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Aaron!!!!!!!

:twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted:

Ahem.....and to keep it on-topic......it looks like a blocky wall cloud. There is no tail cloud as tail clouds tend to form from the precip. region and get drawn to join the wall cloud from there as in here:

[Broken External Image]:http://www.stormskies.com/May15th02.jpg

....NOT the other way around - they do not form in clear-air south of the wall cloud - that's the wrong way round. :?

KR

Back