Is this a funnel?

Definitely a wall cloud...and one that looks like it could have produced a tornado (if things had lined up just right). It doesn't appear to be that far from the precip core, judging from the precip at back right in the picture. It actually reminds me a lot of the lowering associated with the Rock tornado on June 12, 2004.

Also, just because a lowering is well removed from the precip core doesn't mean that it will not produce a tornado (a la aforementioned tornado). In fact, a study by Markowski/Rasmussen suggests that tornado formation may not occur until the surface mesocyclone is completely occluded (which can occur at quite a distance from the precip core).

Gabe

Thanks for all the feedback on this... it's rare that I have to ask questions about features so this will probably be the last for a while..

There was a lot that went on that day, many low hanging clouds so definately had to be careful.. the rotation on this was awesome! I'm suprised it actually didn't drop, it tried to a few times but didn't.

One thing about funnel clouds, when you see one you are usually in no doubt what you are looking at. If you are not sure then it probably isn't.
:)

Originally posted by Steven Williams
One thing about funnel clouds, when you see one you are usually in no doubt what you are looking at. If you are not sure then it probably isn't.

True...most funnels have a laminar appearance (relative to the wall cloud in which they are contained), so they are relatively easy to spot.

Gabe

Originally posted by Gabe Garfield+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gabe Garfield)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Steven Williams

True...most funnels have a laminar appearance (relative to the wall cloud in which they are contained), so they are relatively easy to spot.

Gabe[/b]

Back in the day while watching storms with my dad, I would always ask him the classic questions..."omg dad! is that a funnel cloud?!" "Is that rotation?!"

He'd always tell me..."Trust me...if it is, you'll know"

He's right...when you see a funnel cloud, you know what you're looking at. When questionable...you usually know deep inside that it probably wasnt much to worry about.

I saw a perfect example of another type of vortex today - a horseshoe vortex. It was a perfectly formed white horseshoe vortex, rotating rapidly in clear air.

As I understand it, a horseshoe vortex forms from shear, this one looked about mid-levels. The shear creates a horizontally rotating tube of air in the atmosphere. Then, a vertical updraft pushes up on the mid-part of the tube, forcing the center upward and creating a horseshoe-shape, like an upside-down "U". Do I have this right?

The rotating vortex was spinning rapidly and the ends were undulating like a mini roped-out tornado. It was really cool, lasted for about 3 minutes.

Anyone catch one of these on film?

april 21 possible funnel I saw?

Hey Jketchem, Eric, Mike, Melanie other about the April 21 feedback
Jketchum - yours looks like a wallcloud. But I think mine might have been a funnel or some structure like it and I am curious.
Thanks for looking my April 21 images Eric.
http://members.aol.com/kcstormguy/stormsat...lattecitymo.htm
The picture was smaller because I wanted to have it to be able download on the page more easily. I do have a higher resolution pictures of it but they show pretty much what I see on my video and this. Yours is a little darker and more defined.
The very Cell or wallcloud like structure on the right and a funnel like structure or a hail core? angling from the right down . I am interested to know what this whitish angling structure was? hail corse? rain wrapped funnel or what?
Feedback appreciated. I am interested to know what this structure was.
Dr.Eric Flescher ([email protected]),Olathe, KS -Storm Satori-http://members.aol.com/kcstormguy/stormsatori/stormsatori.htm

Eric,

I believe we've written each other in the past through
Stormtrack.org...perhaps regarding digital cameras(?)

Anyway, I pulled one of your video screen grabs from
the other day in Platte City. I did some rough
Photoshop work on one of them in order to enhance the
detail in the cloud structure in the background.
Obviously, the low resolution and small image size
resulted in considerable noise and color shift (a
full-sized screen grab would've yielded more info) but
interesting results nonetheless. See attached jpg.

Eric Hostetter

And as for the numerous tornado/funnel reports you mention. I can't count how many uneducated 'spotters' and police officers that report wall clouds, or anything that protrudes even slightly from the underside of the cloud base as tornadoes or the very popular 'funnel aloft' that I've heard in radio announcements a lot of times, shelf clouds as wall clouds... etc.

Originally posted by Adam R Davis
And as for the numerous tornado/funnel reports you mention. I can't count how many uneducated 'spotters' and police officers that report wall clouds, or anything that protrudes even slightly from the underside of the cloud base as tornadoes or the very popular 'funnel aloft' that I've heard in radio announcements a lot of times, shelf clouds as wall clouds... etc.

So whatcha saying? We're uneducated?

I agree that there are a lot of false reports getting sent in, and no I didn't report this to the NWS as a funnel cloud. In fact this paticular one I dind't report due to my uncertainty. I did, however, report other well defined wall clouds that I saw earlier.

Oh, of course not. I'll assume that anyone whom Stormtrack accepts definitely knows what they're talking about :)

Originally posted by Adam R Davis
Oh, of course not. I'll assume that anyone whom Stormtrack accepts definitely knows what they're talking about :)

I was just giving you a hard time :D

Nah, this has actually the only time I've questioned what I saw.

Back