IRAQ: I'm sick of Summer!

The backwash of the same disturbance that's given Denver its snowstorm dropped the temperature (finally!) in Phoenix. When I went to work this morning it was in the mid-fifties with twenties dews. Man, it felt cold!

My lips chap and my throat dries in the fall at this time, every year. Phoenix is like Baghdad, except with too much economic and socio-political infrastructure, little culture ancient or otherwise, but thankfully no IEDs. Stay safe and thanks for the service, Dave.

A sharp upper-level trough is dipping down towards the Middle East on Sunday, so be prepaired for a fairly good chance of cloud development in Iraq from Sunday evening through Monday, with rain perhaps(?). Especially in northern Iraq.

I can't wait to see what 8 degrees C at 850mb will produce while passing over the 28 degrees C Mediterranean Sea :)

Well, there was no rain that week in Baghdad, but there was a dust storm, ugh. Also some nice cumuliform cloud displays.

There was a good field of altocumulus castellanus this evening around sunset, must be another system coming in. It has been cold at night here, I think it got down to 48F once last week.

I can't post pictures until i can find an internet connection for my laptop.

It rained this morning too. There was a little rumble of thunder with the heaviest shower. Then the sky cleared and it got really humid and tropical feeling. That was definitely welcome relief from the chill that's been in the air in the past few weeks.

We'll save you a few 'naders for when you return.

Keep up the good work and be safe. Thank you for your service. Post some scenic pics when you get a chance.

Bill Hark

There were more beautiful clouds today. Some mid level cumulus with virga at times and altocumulus covered much of the sky this evening. A few of the clouds lowered and grew to congestus at sunset. I thought I saw a few brief anivls. The instability is there, we just need some low level moisture. Dewpoints are topping out at 55F during the day. Today's high was around 87F. Humidity was a little noticeable.

Israel is experiencing unstable weather in the past two days and this will continue in the next couple of days as well.
Here's a nice waterspout over the Mediterranean that developed yesterday.
64801764.jpg

In reference to the altocumulonimbus mentioned earlier in this thread. I think I saw what one looks like yesterday, it began as an altocumulus, and it grew then develped an anvil. As it passed over, a light shower ensued, then the anvil became orpahned. No lightning, but it sure looked like a Cb.

It must have been on a cold front, because it's chilly today, brrrrrr.

Back