Introduction to meteorology text books question

Hello,

My name is Jeremy, I am a new member here and I need some
input.

I have just recently purchased The atmosphere 9th edition, Understanding weather and climate 3rd edition and The exercises in weather and climate work book. I bought these because I wanted a more in-depth knowledge of the atmosphere than most books give. I wanted to have some exposure to intro level meteorology texts. Are these texts used in introduction to meteorology in colleges?. Have any of you read these and what do you like about them, what do you dislike?.

I would appreciate any opinions

Thank you

Jeremy

Jeremy, I know this has nothing to do with the question you have with the books, but since your obviously trying to learn meteorology, I thought I would throw this at you.

www.theweatherprediction.com

I bet it covers just about everything the books do and maybe more. Hope this helps you out. Oh, I almost forgot...Welcome to the forum! If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask away!

Hi,

I already use the great site you listed. I love that site. especailly the haby hints feature. It was this site that gave the idea for the text books. I also purchased chemistry for dummies and physics for dummies. In order to learn things I did not get to take in high school or really understand then.
So with the text books, theweatherprediction site plus the for dummies guides. I would say that would give a foundation for understanding more complex meteorology that a basic intro to meteorology college course would provide.

I also have both significant tornadoes books. These two books are the greatest books ever on tornadoes.

In closing, thank you for your assistance and posting the link.

I look forward to more input.

Jeremy

p.s.- Does anyone know if the tornado project plans on doing a 1995 onward installment, that may include some of the new sub-vortex, vortex2 and rotate research findings?.

I've used "Understanding Weather and Climate" in my intro-level classes for several years. The book is OK ... Ackerman and Knox's "Meteorology: Understanding the Atmosphere" is probably the best new intro-level book out there. To be honest, most intro-level textbooks in meteorology cover the same basic concepts. So, simply pick one, and read it.

Once you finish the "intro" book, I suggest these two "mid-level" books:

1) "Meteorology for Scientists and Engineers: A Technical Companion Book to C. Donald Ahrens' Meteorology Today"
2) Wallace and Hobbs' "Atmospheric Science: An Introductory Survey" [A new edition of this text is available this month]

That "physics for dummies" book will probably come in handy for these two texts.

Don't forget Tim's books, available here: http://www.weathergraphics.com/

Good luck.

Jeremy,
I used C. Donald Ahrens 's Meteorology Today for one of my intro classes. This book is great especially for those that aren't into the math but want a great overview of the various aspects of weather. If you enjoy some math, you might look strongly at Atmospheric Science : An Introductory Survey by John Wallace and Peter Hobbs. I hope these suggestions help in finding booking to broaden your weather knowledge.

Tim Vasquez sells a couple outstanding books. They are not college text books, but they are very good. Better than a college text book I'd say as it's not dry boring reading. He has a lot of examples and pretty pictures! :)

The two I'm thinking of are called:

Weather Map Handbook
Weather Forecasting Handbook

and we actually used these for a couple of my college meteorology courses.

Andy

Back