Interior vehicle setup pictures

I figured that since people were posting pictures of the outsides of their chase vehicles, a thread might also be appropriate to explore the insides of the decked-out vehicles. I'm curious to see which setups work better than others in terms of positioning all the equipment (assuming you bring it, of course).

Edit: For anyone having trouble finding a place to host pictures, you can upload them to ImageShack. They will host the picture forever (for free, nonetheless) and provide you with a phpBB tag you can just copy and paste right into your post.

Ill post a pic of my set up later but For the Hams question im not sure about all transcievers but most have the fan in the back. My Icom-208 does atleast. so they are open to the air even if there stacked. and Now adays alot of radios have detachable face plates. My Transciever is under my seat well my Face plat is on my dash.

I'm revamping my interior after crooks unmounted everything! I have/will move several pieces of equipment from where I normally have them. I'm also adding a jotto desk setup in the coming months, too. Then you'll be amazed of how I can turn a little Tracer with little room into a working mobile office! :lol:

Do you hams have any heat issues with those radios being in such close proximity? I've heard that ham radios can get pretty warm.

Usually when I am using them I have my AC on and I makes sure I have it on bi-level so air blows directly under and through the radios so I havent had an issue (yet). That is how I set up the mount so air is funneled through the consoles. The upper vents on the passenger side blow directly on the laptop and TV monitor.

I'll post some pictures once I can get the mud and salt washed off my jeep, lol. The interior is relatively simple, but it's neat to see other people's arrangements!

As for the ham radios, one should certainly be aware of circulation issues. I also mounted my radio under the seat while the face plate is mounted up front, it definitely helps with space issues :wink: I rarely hear my fan kick on on my Kenwood 700. A bigger adjustment that helps this issue is that most people rarely run full power. My radio hardly ever sees more than 25W unless I'm running simplex or back in the hills reducing my signal to the repeater.

Strategic use of the vents is a great way to aid this problem though. Different radios have different characteristics when it comes to heat distribution. Radios with heat sinks like Icoms w/o fans, my Alinco 1500, and a few others ran on 50W+ need more consideration than a radio with a WORKING fan.

Great question though! Great pics so far also!

Tim

Jottos are good, But Ram mounts makes a good swing arm holder as well. I custom made the base but bought a Rammount swing arm. might be about the same in price. http://mobilecx.com/ That is a good site to look at. you have more parts to choose from that what I noticed with jotto desks that is if you want to customize your own. thought id just throw it on this topic

Here is my setup in my 94 Explorer. Since this picture I have added XM radio and a new dual band HAM

e2fb88a5d700832436a1d9f86eba4084.jpg

Jay,

I have been looking to do something like this for a camera mount. Don't really care for the suction cup on the windshield solution. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of camera mount is this, and how is it attached to the vehicle? I have considered buying a monopod with pan head and try to figure out a way to attach that to the floor somehow....but just need some ideas.

Am also curious what the small monitor is used for?

Nice job!

Here is my setup in my 94 Explorer. Since this picture I have added XM radio and a new dual band HAM

e2fb88a5d700832436a1d9f86eba4084.jpg

Jay,

I have been looking to do something like this for a camera mount. Don't really care for the suction cup on the windshield solution. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of camera mount is this, and how is it attached to the vehicle? I have considered buying a monopod with pan head and try to figure out a way to attach that to the floor somehow....but just need some ideas.

Am also curious what the small monitor is used for?

Nice job!

That is a mount i bought from Video Innovations. I dont think they make them any more but you may be able to find one on Ebay. I know a number of chasers use them but they do use 2 suction cups up front and the 3rd leg is for stability. I love it. the only draw back for me is it doesnt have a quick release but you can make one for it. I just havent because I dont have the head room above it and still be below the mirror. the base leg is fastened directly to my console making it very strong and wobble free.

The monitor is actually a small flat screen LCD tv. I use it to catch local stations with radar and wx updates. Plus those little bugs in the corner showing warnings are helpfull

Kurt: If you didn't drill any holes, then how did you mount the power invertor to the side of your center console? Lots of duct tape? :)

Has anybody had any problems with road vibrations affecting the equipment, especially the laptop?

I see that most (if not all) of the cars in these pictures have automatic transmissions. My PT Cruiser is a standard, so I guess shifting is just one more thing to think about while chasing. Has anyone had any issues where you miss a gear if you get really distracted, or anything?

Kurt: If you didn't drill any holes, then how did you mount the power invertor to the side of your center console? Lots of duct tape? :)

I use a heavy duty velcro strip for my invertor. You can find them at any Autozone. They are 1" by maybe 4" and have some serious adhesive. the velcro also helps absorb some of the road shock.

Back