Interesting setup in southern China

Hi there, :)

After days of pouring rain in the past weeks (the wettest year since a 1998) we get now a very strong SW monsoon surge, which brings a nice setup in southern China. Strong LLJ, presence of flow at the above level. The only weakness at the moment is the absence of a trough at the middle levels, with weak too flow. As GPT heights will fall with time, flow will increase also in the middle level.

This situation is going to last for... at least 7 days !! Yesterday I noticed the forming of many almost horizontal updraft, some with horizontal weak rotation in them.

The situation (08:00 AM local time):

18447.gif

Already got numerous small storms firing up all around the area, especially to the north where the middle atmosphere is moving more. Here the sfc situation:

wxcht05.gif

That monsoon low to my W-NW is forecast to remain there for quite a long time...

Also of interest to note how the winds back during the day. This is usual down here and can lead to very strong SRH:

18448.gif

This was 08:00 PM local time of yesterday.

Any evolution I'll post here.

Now:
Updated: 10:00 AM CST on June 19, 2005
Observed at Guangzhou, Guangdong (History)
Elevation: 26 ft / 8 m
88 °F / 31 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Heat Index: 102 °F / 39 °C
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 79 °F / 26 °C
Wind: 9 mph / 14 km/h from the SW
Pressure: 29.68 in / 1005 hPa

http://www.weatherunderground.com/cgi-bin/...query=GUANGZHOU

:wink:

Simone that's an interesting setup: if I was in the chinese storm prediction center I could issue at least a moderate risk with a 15% of tornadoes :wink:
Last ten days have been so much interesting also in Bengala if I'm not wrong...Very good trend. Let us know what will it be :)

Behind the hook !!! :D

GZR200506210459.GIF

See the cell westmost to the center: the inflow was right to my east. Unbelieavable what I saw, it was heavy raining then suddenly the rain stop, wind veered from SW to north in a second, sky revealed a boiling rotating updraft with intense lightning and backanvil.

To the east (maybe 1000 meters away) a very low scud coming from the north became convective under the base of the updraft, with very strong upward motion. The scud rapidly consolidated in a wall cloud with tail to the north (flow SW aloft) rotating strongly. It did not develop any funnel but I was astonished by the show. Lightning were at the most intensity during the consolidation of the wall, with a continuous intra-cloud rumble and frequent CG to the NE of the updraft base.

Here's the sounding of this morning (08:00 local time):

18516.gif

And is everything but finish: winds backed well now coming from the east, SSW just above the ground. Very high humidity with dews stable in the 75F. Rumbles from the west.

http://www.weatherunderground.com/cgi-bin/...query=GUANGZHOU

Updated: 2:00 PM CST on June 21, 2005
Observed at Guangzhou, Guangdong (History)
Temp: 79 °F / 26 °C
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 75 °F / 24 °C
Wind: 4 mph / 7 km/h from the SE
Pressure: 29.65 in / 1004 hPa

Forecast: situation stable or getting worst for at least 5 more days.

Heiyuan, a location east of my position, is very impressive with a partial (June 1st - 22nd) of 1029 mm (40.51 inches) .... unbelievable. And today the radar:

latest.jpg

More storms already forming early morning.

Back