• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

2023-04-04 EVENT: KS/OK/TX/MO/IL/AR

After reading a storm chaser's plea on Twitter yesterday for a "good old fashioned Kansas storm chase," there may be an opportunity on Tuesday as part of a major event. Unfortunately, the storms will be moving rapidly and it will only be Kansas to the east of U.S. 81 if my thinking is correct.

First, the UKMET and ECMWF are quite a bit slower with the major trough than earlier versions. For comparison, I have posted at left the 21Z 500mb chart for April 26, 1991 (F-5 Wichita-Andover Tornado outbreak) and the UKMET for 18Z this Tuesday. As you can see it is considerably slower.

The ECMWF 18Z surface chart looks quite discouraging for Kansas but I wouldn't count things out, yet. I think there is a decent chance the moisture could surge NNW a bit farther than forecast. The 18Z NAM keeps the dry line 1-2 Kansas counties farther west than the previous two model runs.

Regardless of where the dry line sets up, Oklahoma, eastern KS and MO look like they could get clobbered by violent, long-track tornadoes. By Tuesday night, the event should spread from western Illinois to north Texas. This trough will be the "pattern changer," an event that stops the flow of troughs from the Pacific to the Central United States. Pattern chasers generally over-perform.

Finally, the Td's in New Mexico are forecast to be well below zero at this time. It is going to be a terrible wildfire situation Tuesday in the High Plains and Foothills. And, with the pattern change, I don't see any drought improvement anytime soon.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-01 at 3.34.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-01 at 3.34.56 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-01 at 3.42.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-01 at 3.42.47 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
RAP sounding for eastern Iowa. Looks like another extremely impressive environment once again, I plan to head out possibly to the same general area as Friday. It would seem that the infamous "Lieowa" curse has been broken several times over since 2021. That 3CAPE value is a huge red flag screaming "CHASE THIS!!!" The hodograph looks even better than was forecast for Friday, which as I'm well aware was not a problem, lol.

rap_2023040221_049_42.42--92.17.png

RAP sounding for eastern Iowa. Looks like another extremely impressive environment once again, I plan to head out possibly to the same general area as Friday. It would seem that the infamous "Lieowa" curse has been broken several times over since 2021. That 3CAPE value is a huge red flag screaming "CHASE THIS!!!" The hodograph looks even better than was forecast for Friday, which as I'm well aware was not a problem, lol.

View attachment 23611

That forecast sounding is insane! If it's anything close to that, then this could be one of the most powerful tornadoes in a while. That low level shear combined with great 3cape and 3k of ML cape has me highly concerned.

Missouri, Iowa, Illinois area on Tuesday looks more complicated than a simple triple point TP chase. I see a possible convergence zone east of the surface low and dry line DL. SPC addresses it in both their Day 2 Outlooks. First Day 2 mentions dry line aloft. Second Day 2 mentions cells 'hours ahead' of the surface low.

My interpretation is a convergence zone or pre-DL trough. So I have the TP in Iowa. Then the convergence zone / trough well east, out as far east as the Quad Cities or general area. Said trough intersects the warm front WF. Boundary intersection could have deeper moisture and higher surface dewpoints than the TP. Most numerical guidance shows higher dews far eastern Iowa, eastern Missouri into Illinois.

Due to uncertainties regarding boundary locations, it's hard to pin point a chase target day ahead. Boundary intersection I mention (convergence with WF) could start in eastern Iowa or northeastern Missouri. It should get into Illinois Tuesday afternoon.

That forecast sounding is insane! If it's anything close to that, then this could be one of the most powerful tornadoes in a while. That low level shear combined with great 3cape and 3k of ML cape has me highly concerned.

Can't really estimate potential tornado strength from a forecast sounding, beyond saying that it supports strong to violent (EF2+) tornadoes.

@Jeff House the HRRR certainly seems to be keying in on that, focusing initiation in Illinois.

My fears about eastern Kansas (see my OP) may be coming true. The TTWRF and ECMWF from 12Z, the 18Z from TT (below) and the 18Z ECMWF (below) very much put eastern KS in play.

The TTWRF shows reflectivity and helicity at 01Z, 04Z and 07Z.
The 18Z Euro has thunderstorms all over eastern KS based on the lightning forecast.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 8.17.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 8.17.32 PM.png
    688.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 8.17.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 8.17.56 PM.png
    489.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 8.18.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 8.18.10 PM.png
    448 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 8.20.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 8.20.56 PM.png
    482.8 KB · Views: 1
My fears about eastern Kansas (see my OP) may be coming true. The TTWRF and ECMWF from 12Z, the 18Z from TT (below) and the 18Z ECMWF (below) very much put eastern KS in play.

The TTWRF shows reflectivity and helicity at 01Z, 04Z and 07Z.
The 18Z Euro has thunderstorms all over eastern KS based on the lightning forecast.
Im sitting in Emporia, KS right now. Ive got towers attempting to go up w and nw of me as we speak.

Regarding Alvaro's posting above: Where did this "possible" tornado nonsense come from when it is completely obvious a tornado is in progress?

Regarding Alvaro's posting above: Where did this "possible" tornado nonsense come from when it is completely obvious a tornado is in progress?

It's standard terminology for when a tornado hasn't been confirmed by NWS survey, even though it's really meant for situations where some storm damage occurred in the middle of the night or invisible inside a wall of rain. When a hundred chasers have video of a huge funnel flinging debris everywhere, then...<shrugs>.

I work as a newscast director for a local TV station, and I've told our producers to stop using that term when there's clear video of it.

It's standard terminology for when a tornado hasn't been confirmed by NWS survey, even though it's really meant for situations where some storm damage occurred in the middle of the night or invisible inside a wall of rain. When a hundred chasers have video of a huge funnel flinging debris everywhere, then...<shrugs>.

I work as a newscast director for a local TV station, and I've told our producers to stop using that term when there's clear video of it.
There is also another time an Iowa tornado was classified as "possible tornado" which is seen in this tweet:

Back