I need opinions on this Meteorology program if possible

Sorry, I know about tuition, schools where it's offered, the levels of math and physics involved, the level of work that's usually demanded, the difficulty in going to school full time with a family... I've been working on this for years now, and intensely working on this (almost on a daily basis) for several months. I should have mentioned it earlier.

I have a list of schools that I'm looking into, the school I mentioned in my earlier post (Cal U) I hadn't heard of either until someone mentioned the program and low out of state tuition.

However I received a reply from that school, and by the email I got I was unimpressed as to the level of education from there.

I've narrowed my choices to:

Millersville - I've actually been in contact off and on with Dr. Clark at the school for about 6 years, usually with random meteorology related questions. In addition, I live and WV and the school is in PA, so it is close to where my family is and while they do not share an in-state exchange program such as the ACM, they do work together in tuition grants. I've also been in touch with admissions and the financial aid office and with my income, I feel I can get enough need-based aid to help offset much of the cost.

Iowa State - Currently my math is not up to what most true freshman undergrads would have these days. I graduated almost 10 years ago, and when I left school we were only required to have 2 years of math. I graduated then with Geometry, supposingly at the time on-par with Algebra II. These days I hear of kids graduating with Calculus. I've taken some college course work (about to graduate with a double major AS) but I doubt I will be ready for Calculus in the first semester. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bad at math at all, in fact when I take the courses I'm at the top of the class. Anyway, back on the point, I like ISU for thier program and thier ability to schedule a program for those that need to begin with a course lower than Calculus. Not that it's not possible in other schools, but they have a program specifically outlined for it and that is a bonus. In addition I like the general look of the school, and the feel of it. One problem (although completely unrelated and not technically a problem) is that I'm a huge Sooner fan and have been my whole life :eek:

Oklahoma - I really don't need to give a reason why this is a choice I hope :)

Millersville is my top choice due to location, however I am still waiting to apply (I have a current transcript 'issue' that might take a few more weeks to resolve) and I am not 100% sure I will be admitted, let alone into the met program off the bat.

UAH - I hear this school is very popular among aerospace and as such would have a fantastic Physics program, thier meteorology program is actually a Physics undergrad with a MS in Atmospheric Science which while great, seems a bit too broad and I want to take as many meteorology related courses as possible, which in the other programs is included.

So I'm really asking for thoughts on these undergraduate programs, both in quality and potential to go straight into graduate studies

Last edited by a moderator:
Back